Escape to the Movies: Unstoppable

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
WolfmanNougat said:
As soon as it was mentioned that the train goes at high speed, without a driver, headed for a crash into civilisation, I just KNEW there was a Thomas the Tank Engine joke to be made! I wonder if any station managers' breakfasts get spoiled in the process...

Anyway, the movie looks like a heap of fun, so maybe I'll go see it. :)
For Thomas fans I feel this is important:

"Sir Toppem Hat was very cross. He yelled at Poor Thomas for spilling his favourite jam all over his trousers!"

OT: Glad to see moviebob isn't too shaken by the responses to his... new show there. Looks like another movie for me to skip, because frankly I just don't find much appeal in these types of movies, reminds me of "the expendables" which I was really looking forward too, but in the end had no merit...
ah well...

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
We're not just talking about a review, we're talking about a CRITIQUE, the side of a Zero Punctuation!

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Movie Bob is reviewing Graham and Paul's Monday Morning skit? ... Oh Unstoppable

(Sorry I couldn't help myself)

OT: So let's see, raise enough cash to buy a copy of Scott Pilgrim vs the World, (plus an external blu-ray drive to play it), make a one hour journey to watch four lions, and finally go watch Unstoppable at my local theater.

Yup, my paycheck is going to be strapped.

Sep 17, 2009
Bob you have the worst eye for acting in the industry.

Just because Chris Pine is a pretty boy doesn't mean he isn't a decent actor. He was fine in Star Trek.

OT: Very good review, but I will wait for DVD for this one.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
solidstatemind said:
And before you bag on Scalia, you should read some of his opinion statements. Just because he is a conservative and anti-judicial activism doesn't mean that he is closed to the idea of gaming as a protected form of media. Labelling people that way is lame and is part of the reason the United States is in such a crappy political situation these days. I mean seriously, how is "Conservative must be bad guy" any better than the bullshit jingoism that the Tea Party tries to push on people?
300lb. Samoan said:
Hey, Scalia's always been on the side of liberty. Yes his views on torture are repugnant but you can always count on him to defend our right to free speech. I imagine he only supports torture because he believes that speech needs to be shaken loose every once in a while.
Onyx Oblivion said:
You are surprised about Scalia how, exactly?
I get the sense it's engendered by the ThinkProgress/DailyKos/NYTimes habit of setting up snap judgements. If someone doesn't agree with your conclusion they are therefore evil and stupid, and therefore you should expect them to choose evil every time. Don't bother with any reasoning.

Scalia is a strict constructionist. Sometimes I think he's the only Justice who answers with "what does the Constitution say", not "what would you like the Constitution to say." Even in the (apparently hot around here) "Torture" discussion, Scalia's opinion is not "Hey I think torture is cool and we should do more of it." It's "Interrogation is not the same as punishment and therefore it's not forbidden." I'll bet you if we passed an anti-torture amendment he'd be the first to stop government abuses. But that's really OT.

So I can get why reasonable people would find they usually disagree with him. Originalist interpretation can be an impediment to getting things done. (At least as far back as Congressional Government written in 1885 by Woodrow Wilson.) But come on, anyone who's surprised which side Scalia took here needs to do more reading and less judging.

-----------

Slightly different Topic: Bob, you made me laugh with the "Nah, they totally went that way." I was incredulous at the setup but you walked me into it.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I noticed in the Star Trek movie that Chris Pine didn't have much range too...my favourite role for him is still as a neo-Nazi assassin hick in Smokin' Aces, he was actually pretty good in that.

Killing_Time

Mar 7, 2009
To me a big ass train with explosives just doesn't seem that interesting, especially after Bob showed the poster of Volcano (now that was a damn good disaster movie) I guess after seeing movies like The Day After Tomorrow and 2012, it just takes a larger scale disaster to impress me (guess movies have spoiled me) I mean try comparing Armageddon to Unstoppable. Armageddon = Asteroid the size of a city coming towards earth and will destroy it upon impact. Unstoppable = Long train with explosives running wild and if it explodes it could hurt maybe 100+ people... I rest my case.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
solidstatemind said:
Yes, Bob, we're old. I know.

And before you bag on Scalia, you should read some of his opinion statements. Just because he is a conservative and anti-judicial activism doesn't mean that he is closed to the idea of gaming as a protected form of media. Labelling people that way is lame and is part of the reason the United States is in such a crappy political situation these days. I mean seriously, how is "Conservative must be bad guy" any better than the bullshit jingoism that the Tea Party tries to push on people?
He might just be referring to Scalia's stance on torture rather then his political leanings. Of course, the debate over Scalia's comments on torture is filled with a lot of misinformation and assumed conclusions.

KO4U

Aug 15, 2010
To Bob:
See "Carriers" if you want to see Pine giving a little range in his acting. Not bad, but still no star making.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
You know, I see potiential in this.

Only because I can't see an actual solution that would be used in real life.

In most horror/diaster movies, the entire plot could be solved and dealt with by common sense. (shoot the serial killer, the end!)

But here, what would we do? If it is blown up, the toxins will be spread everwhere. same if it crashs.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
300lb. Samoan said:
Hey, Scalia's always been on the side of liberty. Yes his views on torture are repugnant but you can always count on him to defend our right to free speech. I imagine he only supports torture because he believes that speech needs to be shaken loose every once in a while.

Anyway, I was on the fence about this movie... if you say it's fun then I'll believe you but I probably won't catch it until it hits the dollar circuit.
And if a tooth or two gets shaken loose in the process, that's a small price to pay. Freedom ain't free.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
I just think the film looks collosally stupid, plus I'm not a fan of Tony Scott. Man on fire, DOMINO?! Are you seriously saying these are good films Bob? by what meassure is Domino a good film? Plot was convoluted, characters were emotionless and poorly acted and uterly unlikeable, the script writting was awful, the action itself was pretty shoody and uninteresting and deffinately didn't make up for everything else. And I still don't know why Tom Waits turns up in the middle of the desert for fucking reason? In fact so much of the film happens for no fucking reason!

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Out of all the possible disasters in the world they chose a train?...
Most movies just use an out of control train as a scene, not for the whole movie.
Doubt I wll watch that.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
No mention of Runaway Train? Not one? Wow, I don't know if I should be pleasantly surprised or disappointed.

I really want to see this movie. I have seen more than my fair share of the "Train Go BOOM!" sub-sub-genre of action flicks: Con Express, Runaway Train, Death Train, Death Deceit and Destiny Aboard the Orient Express, Transsiberian to a lesser extent. I don't know, however, if I should see this film on the big screen or on DVD. On one hand, I have always watched my Train Go BOOM! films on DVD, it's almost tradition. On the other I have never seen a Train Go BOOM! film in a theater before and I've been meaning to see a film with my dad lately.

I guess I'll go to the theater. Here's hoping I like it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Honestly, that last statement may be one of the reasons why I don't see this movie. I mean, I just can't take it seriously. Simply because I can't take it seriously. A train leaving a station without anyone driving it and it is carrying Nuclear Waste. I know it is a movie, but I like some of my movies to be believable.

Gmosphere

Feb 23, 2010
this would have been way better with Thomas the tank engine. Though have it done in the style of the old mini model or the make that thomas and the magic railroad was shot. no f^^King CGi his lip shouldn't move. get ringo starr to do the voice work