Escape to the Movies: Up!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Looks like a must see, I enjoy wolverine personally, but then I've never rated a film badly in my life, I just enjoy them for what they do well.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
So... uh... what scene was he talking about from Toy Story 2? I honestly have no idea.

Other than that, I enjoyed the review, but I still have no desire to go see this. Haven't cared about Pixar ever (except for the original Toy Story), and I probably never will.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
And the best part of all, the movie had a trailer for...

well... you know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJEDUainX4

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Caliostro said:
I was looking forward to this one, let's see if I have the time to go watch it between the exams and project deliveries.

So, can we consider "escape to the movies" the new MobieBob "series"? Would be about time too. MovieBob = Win.
Bingo!

K.I.N.G

May 30, 2009
I haven't been in the cinema for quite a while now. The last film I saw there was Twilight, which was pretty good.

DasAShinyGolash

May 20, 2009
Arrers said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
ampa451 said:
I think that when it comes down to these kind of movies, Pixar is invincible.
Have Pixar ever released a bad film?
Not that I'm aware of, but I hear Cars is the weakest of them.

That was a good review, usually MovieBob's kind of whiney and fanboyish, but optimism suits him.
acually im pretty sure meet the robinsons was the weakest, but even that was good. It got me piss-yourself scared over a bowler hat

WrathofthePenguin

Apr 9, 2009
Dude, knew this was gonna be a good movie (Pixar can do no wrong) but man this was SO much better than I thought it'd be. The gut shot at the beginning with his wife was so unexpected but the tone of the movie didn't make the depression inducing daze last long

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
ampa451 said:
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NO! Everyone of them is amazing and always will! That's Disney and Pixar for ya! :D

Wall-e was my favorite out of all of them. I loved how they tied "Hello Dolly" into the movie ^_^

GaudyMarrko

May 20, 2009
Wow the truth hurts... out of all the high-end action movies trying to mirror their glory days that came out, Bob's favorite movie is an original cartoon made by a company that targets children. This has to have been the least likely outcome imaginable.

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
Youve inspired me to go see it this week Bob.
I was gunna pass up on it, but not anymore!

Thanks Bob!
Great, if the best review youve done!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Maet said:
I just saw it today (*cough*) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.116149], and I must say that I ended up feeling mixed about it. I adore Pixar as much as the next guy, but I thought that the villain was very poorly executed.

Specifically, when he tied Russell to the chair and left him to fall to his death when he was flying back home really did not sit right.
I thought they set up that aspect of the bad guy well-enough, though it's done subtley and never explicitly said presumably to avoid frightening the much younger kids in the audience...

SPOILER:
It's not said outright or out loud, but the earlier scene with the coconuts makes it fairly clear that Muntz has A.) Gone completely mad a long time ago, and B.) already murdered a lot of people in the 70-something years he's been in the jungle - pretty much everyone who's wound up at Paradise Falls where he delusionally assumed they were out to steal his bird.

LazerLuger

Mar 16, 2009
Despite your seething Nerd-Rage over Star Trek not being about interstellar diplomacy and talking for 2 hours straight, I'm glad to see you enjoyed Up as much as me. Perhaps you're not a professional troll after all.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I think all Pixars movies are great. That cars is considerd there worst is news to me.

If I had to personaly pick a least favorite I'd probably say bugs life or toy story 2 (I have a thing against sequles).

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Darkrai said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Darkrai said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
ampa451 said:
Cars was pretty crappy. A Bug's life was not bad. But I think Cars was there weakest if not worst film.
I will never have anything bad said about A Bug's Life because I loved it as a kid.

Cars was alright, I guess..
I'll watch a bugs life again. I show it before and thought it was ok as a kid
You all realize that 'A Bug's Life' is basically Seven Samurai with cutesy insects and such, right? Kurosawa=win. Therefore Bug's Life=win.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Saw this yesterday, really, really loved it. First two acts were perfect, little sag in the middle but then a pretty rollicking climax. Probably right up there with Incredibles and Ratatouille for most directly thematically complex Pixar work, and definitely as enjoyable as the rest of their flicks. Wall-E still holds the top spot in my heart though, because I am a big old sap for robots falling in love.

Anyway, I enjoyed this review quite a bit, much more so than the others, though I still think it got a little bit hyperbolic ("most powerful visual storytelling ever seen on film?" It was really powerful, but - EVER seen on film - that's a little much). The whole part about masculinity really was quite enlightening. I wonder when we'll see modern animated films that tackle the other side of the gender equation as thoroughly. Maybe Pixar needs to get some female directors?

Also the connections to Herzog and Conrad were very interesting - I scoffed at the sort of outlandishness of Up's premise when it was first revealed, not so much because of what it was but how it fit into what seemed like the narrative tone and framework of the story. Obviously once I saw the film that went away since there's plenty of context, but even moreso now that I consider that there have been stories like Fitzcarraldo out there.

I do have to say that, as interesting as it is to consider the parallels between a "kid's" movie like Up and things like Heart of Darkness, I'm always wary of this perspective (same goes for the argument a post above that A Bug's Life = Seven Samurai). It's almost as if we're (or maybe just I am) so insecure about giving artistic merit to these movies and how that makes us look that we need to say - hey, it's just like X RESPECTED WORK OF FILM/ART/LITERATURE - so you should respect it as much as X too.

That's bullshit, frankly. These are good movies that touch on archetypes and themes that go beyond the cultural milestones like Apocalypse Now. There's nothing wrong with pointing out the parallels like the review does - I just think it's worth saying that we shouldn't (again probably speaking for myself mostly here) feel on any level that we need to do this to justify our opinions.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
stormcaller said:
Sounds great, going to see when the 'rents get back.

Does Doug > Scrat or Sid though?
Puh-LEASE don't compare that terrible Ice Age series (it's basically the new Land Before Time with the way they keep spitting-out movies) to anything Pixar. Even Pixar's lesser movies are more inspired than that trite nonsense.

Keane Ng said:
I wonder when we'll see modern animated films that tackle the other side of the gender equation as thoroughly.
It's called The Princess and the Frog. Like Moviebob said quite accurately in the review, Disney themselves have been covering the female side of fantasy land pretty well lately.