Escape to the Movies: War Horse

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I'm still slightly miffed at the stage version taking Best Play over my much-beloved Jerusalem, but I thought at the time that it would work better as a film. Guess I thought along the right lines then. Probably will give this a look after GWtDT.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
ok bob, second week in a row that a movie i had no interest in got reviewed. not really anything wrong with that it's just that i really love Friday because a lot of times the movie I'm most interested in seeing is the one you end up reviewing. i was hoping for Sherlock Holmes or mission impossible last week, and while tin tin was a good review, it wasn't out in America yet and if i wanted to see it i wouldn't have been able to any way.

this week i was really looking forward to Girl with a dragon tattoo, i love the director, and i was really interested to see how it came out, plus you had mentioned it in another episode a while back so i figured that would be your pick.

not that I'm complaining it's just that the only two weeks in the year that I've been really looking forward to your reviews in a "i might go see these Saturday" way. i rarely go to the theaters and these were the only movies this year that i wanted to see in theaters. i still probably will but I really want to see what your take on them was, especially since you didn't like Sherlock Holmes.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
BakedZnake said:
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2
Umm... What? Tanks were in WW1 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_World_War_I], man.

OT: I'm sure it's good, Bob. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

wwmcfar

Oct 12, 2009
TaboriHK said:
In a war where thousands upon thousands of human beings who didn't want to be there and weren't affected by the outcome just as much, I can't imagine giving a damn about a horse. Even if the orchestra is pulling for him. Does the movie close with the horse coming home, embittered by war, to write a taut yet revealing look at the horrors of war? It's a goddamn HORSE!
Thank you for being the only person to say this.

World War one claimed the lives of countless living breathing men women and children and I'm supposed to get emotionally invested in a mistreated horse. Give me a gun and I'll shoot every dammed horse in the world before I see one person harmed.

Spielberg should have put a dog that got beaten every now and then in Schindler's List then at least all the PETA freaks and animal fanatics would have something to give a crap about as the poor Jews were led to the gas chambers.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
No more family movies for a while, Bob. I can take a review of Tintin, I'll suck it up if you want to talk about Scorsese's kids movie/love letter to a visionary director, but this is either Girl with the Dragon Tattoo week or, if you couldn't see an advance screening for that one, at least Mission Impossible week which we all know you saw.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I was going to give this one a pass. I didn't know that Steven Spieberg was behind it. That guy is enough to rouse interest where trailers and previews were only able to find quiet cynicism. I'm still not ready to run out the doors to watch it, but if invited out to watch with friends, I think the answer will be "yes."

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
urprobablyright said:
Imagine LOTR if in the end Frodo failed like a ***** and the moral of the story is: "These things cannot be defeated/avoided, so don't let them happen in the first place"... That's pretty much the moral of Warhorse as much as I can tell, and it's not worth the time or money.
I'm not here to convince you to see it. I'm just here to suggest that you should watch a movie before assuming anything. Come from a place of knowledge before you come from a place of ignorance. I was with you in your comment before you said the above. Tight on cash? Right there with you. Assuming a movie has a moral you don't agree with? That is not worth the time.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Interesting...probably not the type of film I'd go to see in the cinema.

Also, what is the big deal with people seemingly being desperate for Bob to review Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Actually, what is the big deal with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, full stop?

Yes, I get it, it's the director. If you're so keen in finding out how the film has turned out, why not just go and see it? You don't need to wait for someone to review it surely.

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
The only thing here that bugs the shit out of me about this movie is that we finally get a good, high quality, well made film about the horrors of the Great War(which Hollywood is complacent to totally ignore since it doesn't have U.S. troops punching out Nazis) and it's about a fucking horse?

Very minor quibble, but still irks me like all hell as a history nerd.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
wwmcfar said:
TaboriHK said:
In a war where thousands upon thousands of human beings who didn't want to be there and weren't affected by the outcome just as much, I can't imagine giving a damn about a horse. Even if the orchestra is pulling for him. Does the movie close with the horse coming home, embittered by war, to write a taut yet revealing look at the horrors of war? It's a goddamn HORSE!

World War one claimed the lives of countless living breathing men women and children and I'm supposed to get emotionally invested in a mistreated horse. Give me a gun and I'll shoot every dammed horse in the world before I see one person harmed.

Spielberg should have put a dog that got beaten every now and then in Schindler's List then at least all the PETA freaks and animal fanatics would have something to give a crap about as the poor Jews were led to the gas chambers.
Read/watch "All Quiet on the Western Front" if you want to see something about the human suffering in that war. The idea with the horse is that it's completely innoncent and has nothing to do with this war. It's like throwing a child into that scenario. Feeling sorry for it is a perfectly normal human reaction to this, at least in the context of a movie where the horse has a relatable personality.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
MarsProbe said:
Interesting...probably not the type of film I'd go to see in the cinema.

Also, what is the big deal with people seemingly being desperate for Bob to review Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Actually, what is the big deal with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, full stop?

Yes, I get it, it's the director. If you're so keen in finding out how the film has turned out, why not just go and see it? You don't need to wait for someone to review it surely.
The deal is that the original Swedish production trilogy was an international hit both on critic level and box office (completely shattered the international box office record for a Swedish movie, about 100M$, while previous record was like what 14-16M), for them it would be on level with the original Star Wars trilogy, rain money out of nowhere, since they mostly just make movie for their artistic value, so just have habit of trying to recoup the cost of their movie usually.

The thing is that bob been a critic, might not want to review it, if he saw the original, since it is actually pretty recent (the first movie was release less then 3 years ago) and the new Trilogy is just high budget cloning, so likely to leave a bitter taste to someone who has seen the original.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
BakedZnake said:
Did he say german tanks in WW1? OMG parallel universe! Lets hope they dont discover radar in WW2
link for the unknowledgable? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_World_War_I
OT: Bob, I like you, but for the first forty seconds of your description, all I was thinking was:
The Artist...The Artist...Why don't you say a word about 'The Artist' for the exact same reasons you talked about...

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
THE DEFINITIVE REVIEW for Chipwrecked
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bj/bcmr/33698-midnight-screening-qalvin-and-the-chipmunks-chipwreckedq

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Reptiloid said:
"I'm as guilty as any other critic of being reflexively resistant to sentimental and emotional manipulation."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh Bob... you really crack me up. That was the funniest joke I've ever heard from you. I really hope it was a joke though.

You haven't forgotten the cheap exploits of Toy Story 3 already? You know, the ones you totally fell for.
...along with everyone else, which is the same point he's making about War Horse. I don't remember many, in fact, any people calling out Toy Story 3 for "cheap exploits". True as it may be, it was still affecting. So I guess War Horse is another one of those.

There's a reason why cliche's become cliche's... because they worked; and in the right hands (Spielberg being just about the rightest hands around) they will always work.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
wwmcfar said:
TaboriHK said:

Yes, because nobody in show business has ever made a comment on the human cost of war before. Oh no wait, they have, quite a lot actually...

In the face of the hundreds, possibly thousands, of war is hell tales that focus almost exclusively on people, is it so wrong to make just one that instead chooses to tell it from the perspective of the other creatures we drag into our conflicts?

I'm not so sentimental about animals that I will put them before people, but your argument lacks context. If you want to hear about just how cruel and stupid the First World War was to people like you and me, watch My Boy Jack, All Quiet on the Western Front, Blackadder Goes Forth, or any documentary about the real examples of cruelty and stupidity in WWI that has ever been made. Any of those will do fine.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Awww... With it opening on a Tuesday, I really hoped this video would be about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
That film was made years ago. :p I'd say an adaptation is more worthy of reviewing than just another watered down remake of a much grittier foreign film (and novel).

And besides, it's his show, he gets to call the shots as to what he reviews when it comes down to it, really.

Jul 9, 2008
Hmm...I don't usually like this sort of thing, but Avatar (the cartoon series, not the movie) proved it could be done well with the episode "Appa's Lost Days", so I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.