Escape to the Movies: Warm Bodies

redhatman

Sep 20, 2012
Sylveria said:
Nice Justice League line up. Guy who's movie bombed (though I found it tolerable), girl who's TV show was canceled before the first episode aired, Superman, guy who's movies ended with him basically retiring cause he was presumed dead, and a character no one has cared about since the cartoon got cancelled.

It's gonna be really funny if the first thing the JL movie does is undo what happened in TDKR
Apparently the JL movie will be in an completely different universe to the recent batman films. it will instead use the same universe as the new superman movie and a batman reboot.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I saw this just today...Didn't even comment on the romeo and juliet thing? or was it too obvious?
Pretty good movie for a romance/horror/drama, there were a few things made made no sense to me but nothing that jepardises the plot.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Just saw it today, I enjoyed it. Also while I'm completely sick of this phrase applied to everything, it works here: "Still a better romance than Twilight" (much better actually).

There's too much of a knee jerk reaction to this movie whether it be over the ridiculousness of a zombie romance, or the fact that they didn't get the zombie rules right. It's already agreed upon that there's different kinds of zombies - virus, radiation, supernatural, slow, fast, etc. so there's no problem with the idea that these zombies being curable by love. You just kind of have to buy into it, and I mean, as geeks/nerds/gamers/etc. we buy into a lot of crazy shit already anyway.

canadamus_prime said:
leviadragon99 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Sorry, I can't get over the undercurrent of necrophilia.
Pretty sure that's part of the point of the "mosters as love interests" satire. Hell, you could point the exact same finger at Twilight and every bit of media that's ever had human/Vampire romance ever.
Yeah, but vampires aren't walking decomposing corpses.
But the idea of the "satire" is that they're in the same class of "undead," so it's just pointing out the grossness of it by saying "yeah, that vampire may be good looking, but it's still the same thing as having hots for this zombie."

personion

Dec 6, 2010
Opening was hilarious.

Definitely agree on the review. I liked Warm Bodies, but its plot was a bit weird at times, and cringe worthy at others. I'd recommend seeing it though, and not just because "Zombie Romeo and Juliet" is a cool premise.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
i just need to know something, if there are any Norwegian escapists here who know if, when or where in Norway this movie is showing or when, could you please tell me? Google isn't much help and filmweb[footnote]the Norwegian film database for all movies and screenings[/footnote] aren't giving me any information either.

i love it. i wanted to see this since i first heard about twilight. zombies inlove (that sounded like a movie that would only run in the Simpsons universe). i wanna see it for the same reason i wanted to see iron sky and how framed roger rabbit. the concept is just so rediculus that it must have entertainment value.........right?

Entourage? did we run out of comic books to make movies of already ?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
TheSchaef said:
Grenge Di Origin said:
Okay, can someone please explain Entourage? Like 50 Shades of Gray, it's an evidently bad thing that I never really explored and got an opinion for/against it.
Entourage was an HBO show, now in general syndication, about a movie star and his bros (read: hangers-on, and one actual (half) brother), simultaneously living large on his early success and scrambling to find a way to keep him relevant in Hollywood so that the money doesn't dry up. It's supposed to be a pseudo-biographical account of Mark Wahlberg and his bros at the time when his movie career was taking off.

The show's format generally consisted of one or more of them doing some crazy thing, another one saying, dude, what just happened back there?, another one saying, dude, what were you thinking, and then the first guy saying, dude, I'm sorry, dude, and then a celebrity or five make a cameo appearance as themselves, lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm sure some Entourage homer is going to rip me for either being too loose in defining the show, or not "getting it" properly, but whatever. That's what the show was: Seinfeld with Hollywood bros.
I think you got it down pretty good there. I've seen a few episodes. It's a watchable show, I'm not to sure what Bob is going crazy about here. It's a very unoffensive pseudo-drama about famous people.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
JoesshittyOs said:
I think you got it down pretty good there. I've seen a few episodes. It's a watchable show, I'm not to sure what Bob is going crazy about here. It's a very unoffensive pseudo-drama about famous people.
Probably just the fact that he found the material so vapid that it doesn't deserve a motion-picture follow-on, especially as a two-hour single event based on a short-form serial format. You know, like the Sex and the City movies.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Pussiefied Monster list:

Vampires: Check with Twilight movies.
Werewolves: Check with Twilight movies too.
Zombies: Check with this movie.
Ghosts: Checked already many times in the past.
Skeletons: No yet...........DON'T YOU DARE YOU MOTHERF*CKING ASSH*LES TO PUSSIEFIED THE GODDAMMIT SKELETONS!!!!!!!

Seriously now, I must admit if we throw away the idea of "My little pony: Friendship is Magic" bullsh*t out to the window and get eaten by the real zombies from other movies, I think I will check if it will come to DVD just for curiosity.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
daxterx2005 said:
Man, those bonies look creepy as hell.
Oh my!!!
I thought you said "bronies" in your post XD. My bad....
It seems I need to calm down from the ponies a little...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
maxben said:
Milk said:
Bob, I think your way off with the "why the zombie craze is so big right now" thing.

It's nothing to do with fear of overpopulation, repressed racism or whatever other pseudo-intellectual silliness you mentioned. Rather it's simply an escapist fantasy where one can break free from the monotony of their day to day life, kill hoardes of mindless evil monsters (without remorse) and become the ruthless "hero of the wastes".

Why else would "Zombie Plans" be such a common thing.
That argument fails when you consider the following question: But why is it big NOW and not before?
Zombie plans are relatively new. Before they were a thing the go to fantasy was world conquering plans.
The question is not why thing A is fun, it why thing A is popular in a particular place in a certain time.
Because that's how fads work. The term "viral" exists for a reason; viruses don't spread because everyone suddenly and mysteriously became more vulnerable to them than usual; they spread because that's what viruses do. Fads are the same way. It has nothing to do with "the times we're living in" any more than the popularity of, say, Beanie Babies came about because society had conditioned people to latch on to small soft things.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
maxben said:
Milk said:
Bob, I think your way off with the "why the zombie craze is so big right now" thing.

It's nothing to do with fear of overpopulation, repressed racism or whatever other pseudo-intellectual silliness you mentioned. Rather it's simply an escapist fantasy where one can break free from the monotony of their day to day life, kill hoardes of mindless evil monsters (without remorse) and become the ruthless "hero of the wastes".

Why else would "Zombie Plans" be such a common thing.
That argument fails when you consider the following question: But why is it big NOW and not before?
Zombie plans are relatively new. Before they were a thing the go to fantasy was world conquering plans.
The question is not why thing A is fun, it why thing A is popular in a particular place in a certain time.
Because that's how fads work. The term "viral" exists for a reason; viruses don't spread because everyone suddenly and mysteriously became more vulnerable to them than usual; they spread because that's what viruses do. Fads are the same way. It has nothing to do with "the times we're living in" any more than the popularity of, say, Beanie Babies came about because society had conditioned people to latch on to small soft things.
That's an assumption/hypothesis, so great. Now you need to prove it. Referencing the etymology of a random word in this case is hardly enough proof. The point to understand is that your argument is no more "common sense" than any other argument and requires research and proof, which is why we study popular culture.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Glad that Warm Bodies is making a big joke out of the whole zombie craze, which is by now as undead as its subject matter. And as for the Enturage movie: WWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYY???!!! I tried to watch a couple of episodes and it was made by douchebags, about douchebags, FOR douchebags. I get to many of those on TV ALREADY!

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Show me this again in 50 years when I've forgotten most of Twilight. Then maybe. Or make me watch it at gunpoint. Once I do see it I might find something to enjoy but that first step is a big hurdle.

MikeN

Nov 5, 2009
karamazovnew said:
Bob, Zulu? I get your point, but anybody who hasn't seen that movie and now sees the its poster associated with a zombie movie, but in an imperialistic racist tone, will get the wrong impression about it. Being made when it was made, in the country where it was made, about a sensitive issue, I think that Zulu was a superb movie and the producers took great pain and effort to make it as race-less as you could get.
Totally agree. Bob's use of the film "Zulu" as a reference to racism is a really lazy, shallow reading of the film.It smacks of someone who took a look at the dvd cover and just assumed because it was made back in the 60s it must naturally be racist propaganda. There is racism & classism in the film, embodied in the character of Michael Caine's Lt Bromhead but the film itself is extremely balanced -

Lt. Bromhead: "Damn the levies man...Cowardly blacks!"
Adendorff: "What the hell do you mean "cowardly blacks?" They died on your side, didn't they? And who the hell do you think is coming to wipe out your little command? The Grenadier Guards?"

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I'm pleasantly surprised. Seeing trailers, it just looked like another movie coasting off of Twilight's (unfortunate) fame.

Now, when I watch it, I might actually take it somewhat seriously.