Escape to the Movies: Warm Bodies

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Winnosh said:
canadamus_prime said:
leviadragon99 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Sorry, I can't get over the undercurrent of necrophilia.
Pretty sure that's part of the point of the "mosters as love interests" satire. Hell, you could point the exact same finger at Twilight and every bit of media that's ever had human/Vampire romance ever.
Yeah, but vampires aren't walking decomposing corpses.
No they are just walking non decomposing corpses.
Which makes it easier it ignore the corpse part.
Commissar Sae said:
canadamus_prime said:
leviadragon99 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Pretty sure that's part of the point of the "mosters as love interests" satire. Hell, you could point the exact same finger at Twilight and every bit of media that's ever had human/Vampire romance ever.
Depends on the lore, some are very much rotting ambulatory corpses.
True enough, I suppose.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
And as for "why", Bob, it's because it good good reviews and made a boatload of cash, which is what you want in a movie-making property.
Yeeeeeah, but sadly, financial success and even positive reviews don't make it good for a movie. It's kinda difficult to watch...

...wait up...

Aren't you the guy from the Cracked comments section? Hm. Never knew you had a last name. Welcome to the Escapist, my incredibly quick-posting friend.

EDIT:
Waaaaaaaaait up. I misread your join date.
Well...Even so....Hi, Cracked guy.

OT: No Martian Manhunter, no Justice League.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I hope that's not the JL roster, or else they'll produce another Green Lantern to set up for the team-up. Does anyone really want that? I know Bob doesn't.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
this sounds like a really interesting film as a zombie junky and a big fan of parodys (when their done right) i thought this was gona be just another "vampires bite" but after this review im definitly going to check it out :)

Rorro

Dec 27, 2011
OK, so MAYBE I should read all the other posts, but how come no one has mentioned iZombie in regards to this movie? The premise is quite similar... Unless that too stole it from Underworld? That would suck, I don't think iZombie is bad at all, but maybe it's just me that thinks that.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
I see that you liked the movie, Bob, but nothing you said made me want to see it. Which is good, actually.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
That's, so... wrong. I, lol. Sorry, sorry. *ahem* I find it ridiculously hard to imagine that a girl falls in love with a zombie who ate her boyfriend's brain right in front of her (or just killed him, ether way.) That's basically a slap in the face towards guys thinking if they died, the girl would just move on. Can be the other way around, but wow that feels utterly ... silly, in a very unrealistic way. I can tolerate the "love cures zombies into becoming human" but the "zombie killed your boyfriend, oh well I shall replace him with his murderer" .. ppft what??
Hm. Girls flocking to the dominant males? Nothing new here.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
leviadragon99 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Nor is this guy once he starts turning human, for that matter, he's clearly not particularly decomposed even in the period during which he's still a zombie.

I mean yeah, it's still all sorts of creepy, but as a satire, it's just pointing out how creepy the twilightesque stuff is when you really break it down and think about it.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
It kinda reminds me of "Zombie Hunters" webcomic
With their healthy-infected dynamic and with potential to heal full zombies

Caramel Frappe said:
- Zombie eats the girl's boyfriend.
- Zombie obtains memories from boyfriend's brain.
- Zombie falls for the girl.
- Girl falls for the zombie.

... .. WHAT.

That's, so... wrong. I, lol. Sorry, sorry. *ahem* I find it ridiculously hard to imagine that a girl falls in love with a zombie who ate her boyfriend's brain right in front of her (or just killed him, ether way.) That's basically a slap in the face towards guys thinking if they died, the girl would just move on. Can be the other way around, but wow that feels utterly ... silly, in a very unrealistic way. I can tolerate the "love cures zombies into becoming human" but the "zombie killed your boyfriend, oh well I shall replace him with his murderer" .. ppft what??

Not going to see this, the movie already brushed me the wrong way. Sorry guys.
Because nothing like that ever happened in real life?
Really? I have seen plenty of times that non-lethal violence brings attention of the girl.
Simplest scenario- boy A gets beaten by boy B, then girl A ditches the boy A in favor of boy B.
I would like to say it is rare, but sadly it isn't :(

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
1) I don't get the Entourage hate. It was a pretty entertaining show with great laugh out loud moments(especially in the later seasons). Jeremy Piven's Ari Gold and the Johnny Drama alone are more than enough reasons to watch it. Then there's the Aquaman season. And Emanuelle Chriqui!

2)Warm Bodies sounds like a charming movie. A rom-com with zombies looks like something both me and my gf can enjoy.

3)I dig the Justice League line-up. Everybody knows who Batman is, Superman's getting rebooted and will be re-established, the Green Lantern film was kinda bad but made people aware of him and it shouldn't take long to explain the concept of a space cop to audiences in the JL movie.As for Flash and Wonder Woman, it would be pretty easy to introduce one of them as our point of view character (kinda like Wolverine in the first X-Men) and an origin movie would not be necessary. In the right hands, the film could work really well.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Bob, Zulu? I get your point, but anybody who hasn't seen that movie and now sees the its poster associated with a zombie movie, but in an imperialistic racist tone, will get the wrong impression about it. Being made when it was made, in the country where it was made, about a sensitive issue, I think that Zulu was a superb movie and the producers took great pain and effort to make it as race-less as you could get. It's a war movie unlike any other even by today's standards, a "Helm's Deep" where you actually fear and respect the orcs. I've seen it a long time ago but it made me see the real Zulus as something else than just idiots with spears and skirts. If it did have a fault it was to make the Brits too endearing. I think the movie was less about protecting civilization from the "Savage man" (which granted, is how people saw things back in 188x) and more about the Brits coming to terms with loosing their empire and trying to win face by saying "we were wrong anyway, in a National Geographic modern way".

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
canadamus_prime said:
leviadragon99 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Nor is this guy once he starts turning human, for that matter, he's clearly not particularly decomposed even in the period during which he's still a zombie.

I mean yeah, it's still all sorts of creepy, but as a satire, it's just pointing out how creepy the twilightesque stuff is when you really break it down and think about it.
Yeah, I suppose that's true.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Sean951 said:
Entourage is was a parody show about Hollywood and was apparently quite good. The problem with making a movie is that, well, there isn't much there as I understand it.
Bob hates douche-based shows because he was bullied, so he has a butt-hurt vendetta about them. What's wrong with this is that Entourage does the douche thing but is sincere about it as well, the main rising-star character is actually a really good guy and an honourable man of principle, his friends are all leeches and assholes and that's why it's funny. That being said I've only seen like three episodes, so maybe I shouldn't act like I know all about it.

James Hammond

Apr 5, 2010
MovieBob said:
Warm Bodies

Will MovieBob give Warm Bodies a warm reception?

Watch Video
The whole "eats brains for the memory's" was used in the awesome Vertigo comic iZombie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IZOMBIE

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Milk said:
It's nothing to do with fear of overpopulation, repressed racism or whatever other pseudo-intellectual silliness you mentioned.
Wow, you guys really are looking for any excuse to harp on Bob, aren't you?

Jan 12, 2012
MrGalactus said:
And as for "why", Bob, it's because it good good reviews and made a boatload of cash, which is what you want in a movie-making property.
Yeeeeeah, but sadly, financial success and even positive reviews don't make it good for a movie. It's kinda difficult to watch...

...wait up...

Aren't you the guy from the Cracked comments section? Hm. Never knew you had a last name. Welcome to the Escapist, my incredibly quick-posting friend.

EDIT:

Indeed I am; Cracked thought my last name was too long. And who, pray tell, are you?

And as for Martian Manhunter, I'm disappointed too. On the other hand, Doctor Strange is getting a movie [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211837/?ref_=sr_1], so I have hopes the Manhunter may yet see the silver screen.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
MrGalactus said:

...wait up...

EDIT:

Indeed I am; Cracked thought my last name was too long. And who, pray tell, are you?

And as for Martian Manhunter, I'm disappointed too. On the other hand, Doctor Strange is getting a movie [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211837/?ref_=sr_1], so I have hopes the Manhunter may yet see the silver screen.
STRANGE MOVIE? Cooooooooool. Marvel is on a roll. Maybe they'll tease it at the end of Iron Man 3. Big twist: The Mandarin is really Dormammu...or something.

On Cracked, and pretty much every website except this one, I'm THEJORRRG. I comment on most articles, but not til a day or so after they've been out.