Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Though Rush Hour may be Ratner's most (in)famous works, I actually thought Red Dragon was compelling. Probably because all he really had to do was let Ed Norton and Ralph Fiennes follow Anthony Hopkins into a recreation of Silence of the Lambs. But all three of them were a good watch in that one, I thought.

Anyway, I thought The Last Stand was an awesome movie, if but for one reason... THEY KILLED OFF CYCLOPS. IN THE FIRST FREAKING ACT. That by itself elevates it above most of the second movie, in my opinion, during which Scott does nothing but reiterate the same grumblings about Wolverine as the first film, make no meaningful contribution to the plot, and basically just stink up the joint.

The sooner you use him as a plot device, the sooner you remove his obsolescence from his film iteration, and that can only be a good thing. THANK YOU JEAN. And the shame of it is, I like James Marsden as an actor. He just got nothing to work with among an ensemble of infinitely more compelling characters with cooler mutations. It's almost unfair to ask him to share the screen with Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Iceman/Pyro (the two characters only really work as foils of each other, but they do that well), Colossus and Beast.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
my opinion...X3 and Wolverine weren't THAT bad. I don't mean by reviews or our own nerd opinions (even more critical lol) but in terms of them KILLING the franchise prior to First Class (plus I enjoyed Wolverine much more than X3...)

oh yea First Class, yes awesome amazing oh my gosh, but not nearly the uttery savior MovieBob was gushing about LOL (but he did hate the last two films a lot more than me, but I tend to prefer enjoying myself)

really looking forward to maybe seeing a follow up tho :D tho I'm still a bit upset that in First Class they
killed off first not only the black character but the black character who happens to have one of the damned coolest powers ever! seriously it woulda been nice to see Darwin in action of all sorts of danger types...sighh

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm going to see it next Wednesday on my birthday. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it.

Your description makes it sounds like something I'd like.

For the record, I'm a mental patient who liked X-men 3. I mean, not as much as 1 or 2, of course. But I liked it. Never saw Wolverine due to massive disinterest in the titular character.
I was very disappointed by X3 (I wasn't raging and beating myself in the head out of anger like MovieBob probably was lol), but half a decade later I rewatched it once or twice and had quite a lot of fun still. Eh, at least it had lotsa mutants fighting all at once and bla bla like in the comics...of course First Class did it better so yay now haha. (I became a huge fan of Wolverine after reading some of the comics so that helped me enjoy his origins film a bit more than I should have)

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
To those of you who were shocked that this could be good: You probably haven't heard that this was directed by Matthew Vaughn, who also directed Kick-Ass. Or maybe you haven't seen that movie? You should, it's totally crazy.

Note to self: quit being a lazy bum and go watch Vaughn's other movies like you've been meaning to. Yes, I know you were going to watch Fargo and Dr. Strangelove again, but how about right after that?

benvorbeck

Mar 18, 2011
cant wait to see this, and i didnt know Matthew directed Kick ass :)
anyways i think last stand and wolverine was totally awesome.
this guys favs superman, spiderman and watchmen? 'cough and choke' watchmen!!!???
what a dumbass, im just glad for another X-men. heeha!

Grant Delmore

Jun 5, 2011
Movies great, went to see it instead of Hangover II and Pirates IV as per bob's recommendations and it is a pretty good movie, glad with the pick. :)
Stand's on it's own two legs as a good film.

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Excellent film, literally just home from seeing it. (Now THAT'S the obsessive type of nerdy. =P)

Absolutely brilliant, if the sequel's in the same hands as this, I'll look forward to it.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Liked the movie, wasn't perfect, couple of scenes that fell completely flat, but mostly good.

And hey, it's got Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, so who cares about the rest.

A main gripe Mr SecretNegative above didn't even touch upon is that the movie doesn't really feel like it is in the 60's. The clothes really don't fit.

I agree with Bob's list of top three super hero movies btw. I'd probably put SpiderMan 2 as my fave. The Dark Knight is marred by too much explanation and re-explanation.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Great movie...and Hugh Jackman still manages to steal the show in his cameo that was so unexpected it made everyone in the cinema lol for at least a minute.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Smokescreen said:
Random Argument Man said:
Roggen Bread said:
Am I the only one who actually liked Origins: Wolverine?
You're not the only one. I thought it was of a "So bad it's good" movie.
I couldn't even manage that.

My problem with this film, which I haven't even seen, is that THE TRAILERS GIVE FUCKING EVERYTHING AWAY.

Jesus. I don't even need to see the goddamn film because the trailers have told me all I need to know!

/grumbles more

//will still probably see this because, if it's good, it's good

///but GODDAMNIT
Um, it's a prequel. You kind of know what's going to happen, no huge twists or revelations there. The journey is the point, not the destination.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Just saw it, and Bob was right as usual (not always, just usual). First Class was one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. What I don't get though is why Wolverine is so hated. I thought it was worlds better than 3 and a real return to the serious grit of the first two; why was it apparently so terrible?

prince_xedar

Aug 25, 2010
can i just ask quickly and completely off topic
but how do you do the spoiler warnings?

Also i saw this movie on thursday and i thought it was pretty good
i didnt like Emma Frost, i think they didnt take full advantage of her. I love the Cameo and i liked Azazel

Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy were brilliant as Eric and Xavier, i thought Lawrence was a bit wooden.

what i want to know if my did Shaw wear a metal helmet against Eric, and why didnt eric just life the helmet off him instead of ripping it off with his hand

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Cellseam said:
then why do you comment anymore? just stop watching his reviews.
Then why does Moviebob review movies he doesn't like? Just stop watching them.

Seriously guys, I hate this reasoning. It applies equally well to the reviewers themselves and is a cop-out to avoid dealing with issues presented. Contrary to popular opinion on forums, constructive criticism is part of the entire package in a complete critique. It is not possible to deliver comprehensive and sound criticism using only constructive elements. Negative criticism (to show that something is wrong), is also necessary.

*insert generic quote from Yahtzee about how nothing improves without critique*