Escapians who watch Fox News...why?

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Gilhelmi said:
I like Bill O'Rilly. He might be the most honest commentator out there.
We're talking about the same person. Right?

The dick in the video that won't even let the poor kid talk about what happened at an event that Bill WASN'T EVEN AT? next thing you'll be saying is you have a framed picture of Glen Beck in your house..

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
I watch it for comedic reasons. But the moment O'Reilly comes on screen I have to switch it off. The man is stupid and his tactic is pretty much: "You're proving me wrong so I'm going to talk over you."

Feb 9, 2011
I have no idea why anyone does. It's odd, really. I know every news source has bias. That much is obvious, but I don't need to go to the bottom of the barrel to fish out that side of the political spectrum. I can go to more logical places for the news. Nothing good comes from touching Fox News. They're are a joke at best.

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
MisterShine said:
I love Shep Smith.

There! I said it.
Shepard Smith is the only, only person that has a shred of journalistic integrity on that entire channel. Therefore I have nothing against you. Good day sir.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I don't live in teh USA, so I don't watch Fox.
I watch my CBC every now and then, and there are sub-categories of the greater news station that are very reliable.
Nothing can compare to Fox though.
I generally get my news from news papers/online/TV (whenever I watch it, which is rare)/forums.
There have been times when I have read something on Escapist that happened days ago in real time, and I caught up with the news later xD
I generally don't care about the world around me /shrug

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
JPArbiter said:
Look at it this way, Fox News is perceived as unbelievably biased, or fair and balanced, because most people watch the news during the primetime slots. Fox, like CNN and MSNBC, air thier editorial programs between the hours of seven and midnight Eastern Time. on Fox this is your Bill O'Reiley, Hannity and Combs etc. Note on MSNBC Keith Olberman was in this timeslot and his Bias is perfectly clear.

Fox broadcasts prior to the Prime Time Hours are no more biased of full of crap then either of the other two cable networks, and all three are paragons of unbiased reporting when compared to foreign journalism like the BBC, Al Jazeria etc. If Anything Fox deserves some credit during their daytime broadcasting because they will ask questions the other won't on topics of the day.
1) 'Opinion' programming should have the same integrity as the editorial page of the newspaper. I don't expect it to be free of bias, that's rediculous. What I expect is due process of fact checking. I expect editorials to be aware of the news, and of what is a fact and what is not. I expect editorials not to blatantly lie to the populous.

Fox fails on all three counts. It's not the bias that is bad.

Media watchdog groups have called Fox out for false reporting in the past. Fox has hired a Rachel Marsden who, in university, made national news in Canada when she falsely accused a coach of sexual harrassment, and publicly embarassed after evidence brought forth showed that she was sexually approaching him.

Fox News (not the opinion side) reported that Obama's health care package contained references to 'death panels' which later were proven false by multiple sources.

Fox -reporting- is bad. Punditry is punditry, but dayam. DAYAM.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
farson135 said:
everythingbeeps said:
Fox News is mostly opinion anyway. How many hours a day do they give to ACTUAL news programs? Can't be more than a couple.
Actually most of their programs ostensibly deal with the news and not opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel_programming

Try actually looking up such things before you post it.
Yep, and some of those programs that call themselves "news" (particularly Fox & Friends and the Megyn Kelly rubbish) aren't news, they're opinion, or at best news with extreme bias. Megyn Kelly especially is a nutcase.

So yeah. Fox News is telling you they're the news, but they aren't.

Shep Smith is the only thing remotely close to news on that network.

My recaptcha is sympathetic. It says "him derpti".

Yeah, recaptcha, I know what you mean.

lollypopalopicus

Feb 5, 2011
I watch because It gives a honest, real life view untainted by liberal Fascists and....

HAHAHA! I'm sorry I couldn't say that with a straight face any more.

I watch as I would stephen Colbert, funny but untrue. at the same time though it is not funny because people believe it. as for these people I'll let patrick finish.
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3b6w/

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Don Savik said:
Gilhelmi said:
I like Bill O'Rilly. He might be the most honest commentator out there.
We're talking about the same person. Right?

The dick in the video that won't even let the poor kid talk about what happened at an event that Bill WASN'T EVEN AT? next thing you'll be saying is you have a framed picture of Glen Beck in your house..
You know all commentators do that to one extent or another, depending on how riled up they are.

I used to like Beck when he was on CNN and still sane. But within the last 5 years he went to crazy town. I do not hate him, I pity him.

I thought of a new thing to compare news commentators to USED CAR SALESMEN. I was proud of that when I was at work.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Someone once said that Fox News is the best source of non-fiction comedy on television right now. I am inclined to agree.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
TheIronRuler said:
Because every news source is biased. The best historian is the one you can identify his bias and then be able to read his writings while ignoring his bias. When you do not know what is his bias, you take everything he writes as truth.
I get all my news from Mock the Week so I don't have this problem.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
lollypopalopicus said:
I watch as I would stephen Colbert, funny but untrue. at the same time though it is not funny because people believe it. as for these people I'll let patrick finish.
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3b6w/
The difference being that Sir Colbert is making fun of morons by mimicking them in such a way as to make it blatant just how moronic they are. You have to be a moron not to understand that he's being utterly facetious.

Fox News is morons being dead serious about being morons, and people believe the crap they say.

The ONLY good I've ever seen Fox News do is when they tore the Westboro Baptists Church a new one in an interview. That whole "FOX NEWS WILL TALK OVER YOU AND SAY WHATEVER WE DAMN WELL PLEASE AND TOTALLY DROWN YOU OUT" thing that they do basically turned into them declaring the WBC a bunch evil wretched liars who were going to Hell.
It was pretty awesome.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Kieran Villoth said:
I know there have to be some people on this site who watch Fox...why do you? Is it for comedic purposes, or do you consider it a legitimate news source?
I'm going to humor you and assume that this question is not a troll. I watch Fox News because it is equal to any other source of news.

All news channels have a bias whether it is to the right, left or diagonal. If you are able to make the distinction between opinion/commentary shows and news shows then you will find that the news reporting on FOX is no more or less factual and unbiased than BBC, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Al Jazeera(sp?), etc... So in answer to your question I consider it a legitimate news source.

Amnestic said:
And a few choice quotes on the subject [http://pearlyabraham.tripod.com/htmls/media-quotes.html] which all say that you're not telling the truth.

But feel free to provide credible evidence to the contrary.
Try applying that last quote to the popular statements concerning Fox News.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
The idea of the press being just based on information is not correct. Ever since civilization has existed and we have been able to spread rumors, the press has been there to put forth political agendas and lead populations toward certain ideologies. In America and many other countries in the world, the protection of the freedom of the press is an extension to the freedom of speech because reporters are very rarely just putting out information. Most reporters are putting out political ideologies and viewpoints. Those who are too obvious about it get labeled as ideologues, such as Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow. However we all know that there really is very little difference between Anderson Cooper and Keith Olberman.

So attacking Fox News for doing something that the press has been doing for centuries seems silly to me. But hey, if you're not conservative then feel free to hate on it. Just don't blame people who lean toward the right for not liking CNN or MSNBC.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Kieran Villoth said:
I know there have to be some people on this site who watch Fox...why do you? Is it for comedic purposes, or do you consider it a legitimate news source?
Well, its infotainment to some, and entertainment to others (like me).

"This proves all along that global warming was a hoacs..." I'm paraphrasing there, but still, quite funny.

There's a million and one examples, but I don't have the energy to think of more.

Watch it for 'news'? Good god no, that'd be horrible! Watch it for entertainment... well I don't have to, because all the good (well funny) bits are used on The Daily Show & The Colbert Report, so I don't really need to watch it... But if someone had the time, I could understand 'IF' they watched it for that reason. People who watch it for news, well they should be persuaded otherwise, failing that; sterlized :).

EDIT: BTW, its "Escapists'" not "Escapians", just to clarify that for you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ken Sapp said:
I watch Fox News because it is equal to any other source of news.

All news channels have a bias whether it is to the right, left or diagonal.
Yes, but not all bias is created equal. Probably a reason Fox News viewers tend to be more misinformed.

As such:

If you are able to make the distinction between opinion/commentary shows and news shows then you will find that the news reporting on FOX is no more or less factual and unbiased than BBC, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Al Jazeera(sp?), etc... So in answer to your question I consider it a legitimate news source.
LOL.

In short: Any source is biased. That does not legitimise Fox News.