Escapist Editors in the Midst of an Exodus?! -Updated-

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So between all these guys/gals and Moot stepping down, is it fair to say people who took Anti-GG stances or neutral stances are simply being run out of town? That gamers are much more diverse and collectively all the men/women/trans, gays/straight/bi, black/white/asian/everything have separately banded together to tell them to fuck off? Through lack of hits and ad blocker not threats.

If movieBob didn't have a pretty solid fan base, I'd tell him to watch out. But I imagine his numbers have been hurt too.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Chalk me up as one of the number that wants in the loop about any Exodus or stuff like that. I may not be the most active, but I'd feel like I'm missing something if I didn't have you guys to shake my head and lurk at.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Silentpony said:
So between all these guys/gals and Moot stepping down, is it fair to say people who took Anti-GG stances or neutral stances are simply being run out of town? That gamers are much more diverse and collectively all the men/women/trans, gays/straight/bi, black/white/asian/everything have separately banded together to tell them to fuck off? Through lack of hits and ad blocker not threats.

If movieBob didn't have a pretty solid fan base, I'd tell him to watch out. But I imagine his numbers have been hurt too.
I don't know what you are on about with Moot, 4chan is a SJW's dreamhome now, complete with automatic scrolling "Trigger Warnings" In /pol/.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Cecilo said:
Silentpony said:

I don't know what you are on about with Moot, 4chan is a SJW's dreamhome now, complete with automatic scrolling "Trigger Warnings" In /pol/.
Moot is leaving. He's put his cabal of SJW in charge and is buggering off. But he'll be back, he always returns. They stuck a bit banner link to the news, and the Phantom Pain song on repeat.

Pol has been fixed.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Davroth said:
As TopazFusion said already, the GG controversy likely caused more Pub club memberships to be cancelled then new ones being made. There's your answer why cost cutting measures had to be taken, and why people lost their jobs. I find the insinuation that "Pro-GG" caused this or that "Pro-GG" wanted this to happen quite distasteful. You'll find human garbage that revels in the misery of other everywhere. Noone with an ounce of sense in their body wanted this outcome, I'm rather confident in saying that.
Lolwut? Its a bit of a leap from someone speculating more were lost than gained to thinking that made enough of a difference that people lost jobs over it. Especially a huge leap without any actual numbers...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
How things change over the years. The Escapist was my e-home for the good part of the first half of my teenage years, sucks to see these familiar names get laid off, and this community lose steam. Granted I moved on a few years ago but it's still lame to see this site in such a state.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Secondhand Revenant said:
Davroth said:
As TopazFusion said already, the GG controversy likely caused more Pub club memberships to be cancelled then new ones being made. There's your answer why cost cutting measures had to be taken, and why people lost their jobs. I find the insinuation that "Pro-GG" caused this or that "Pro-GG" wanted this to happen quite distasteful. You'll find human garbage that revels in the misery of other everywhere. Noone with an ounce of sense in their body wanted this outcome, I'm rather confident in saying that.
Lolwut? Its a bit of a leap from someone speculating more were lost than gained to thinking that made enough of a difference that people lost jobs over it. Especially a huge leap without any actual numbers...
If the person saying it is part of the community staff? Hardly. I just repeated what he said since it got lost in the noise and people were still arguing about it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Silentpony said:

Why would neutral people be run out of town? Neutrality mostly protects people.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Bat Vader said:
Silentpony said:

Why would neutral people be run out of town? Neutrality mostly protects people.
Yeah, there's still plenty of neutrals here. This is one of the only sites that actually allows the discussion but keeps it (mostly) in one spot off the front page. Feel kind of sorry for the old R&P folks though.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I mean this site has been going downhill for awhile. Not really surprised by this announcement. The content just hasn't been there for a long time and with everyone leaving it just seems like the natural progression of things.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Pyrian said:
Bat Vader said:
Neutrality mostly protects people.
Belgium and Switzerland were both neutral. Mountains protect people, lol.
Yeaaaaah... unless its a blitzkrieg

It seems with the raise of youtube celebrities and patreon that the traditional websites are taking a beating all around.

After all as was being said The escapist is not the only one affected by a round of layoffs.

And if GG really was the cause then why is Moviebob still aboard? Who said some really disgusting things on his twitter about GG and the people in it. Yet had to aparantly not face any consequences.

So yeah.. GG being the cause? Unlikely.. Youtube taking away views and add revenue from gaming websites as a whole? More likely and was actually discussed in many articles here and on other websites allready.

Also the big publishers seem nowadays more focused to get the likes of Pewdiepie onboard then to pay premium dollar for advertisements on gaming websites, especially after the "Gamers are dead" article rampage... THAT one hurt the websites more then anything GG could have come up with on their own.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Karadalis said:
Pyrian said:
Bat Vader said:
Neutrality mostly protects people.
Belgium and Switzerland were both neutral. Mountains protect people, lol.
Yeaaaaah... unless its a blitzkrieg
Uhhh... More like "especially"? Belgium was Blitzkrieg'd despite its neutrality, while Switzerland wasn't despite Hitler's personal ire. Mountains protected what neutrality couldn't.

Karadalis said:
It seems with the raise of youtube celebrities and patreon that the traditional websites are taking a beating all around.
We've certainly got a lot of ex-Escapist content on Youtube these days. One wonders if shows like Jimquisition and Extra Credits would be successful without having been on this site (and perhaps others in EC's case)?

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Karadalis said:

Youtube taking away views and add revenue from gaming websites as a whole? More likely and was actually discussed in many articles here and on other websites allready.
Words don't get the pageviews to pay the bills, most advertising companies (people in general?) are lazy/incompetent and refuse to adjust to anything that isn't the easiest route of using large ad networks that serve content via easily excised third party javascript includes. Video is where all the eyeballs/ad money is these days, and even then, the laziness comes into play with the majority of ad buys refusing to use non-youtube video because it requires doing something slightly differently to manage the campaigns. (on that note, we DO have a new player working with HTML5 and all the fun stuff, but it's in the queue behind other projects before we can make it live)

Pubclub helps things, but "only" provides a few thousand a month, costs quickly eaten by the expenses of an office with multiple full-time staff (it's more of a way for people to get the prettier version of the site / fun things when we can think of them - we really do need more ideas for it though). Donation drives are disingenuous because they have to recur every year or month (Penny Arcade is the closest gaming site I know of to funding with minimal external ads, and I don't believe even they repeated their massively successful donation drive - PA Report itself was unfortunately a financial drain though... because "words" instead of pictures/videos). Patreon is really interesting, especially in Jim's case, but quickly becomes less viable if he brings on any full-time help.

Our forums and community have always been somewhat more on autopilot then not, so I'm hoping this gives us a solid excuse to do more things on the community end. I'd rather have forums be our source of page views then cheap low effort front page content for that sweet ad money sustenance (and if it lets me run game servers with pubclub tie-ins, that would be a nice extra supplement / source of video content for the video ad-view throne). After all, forums have killed more server hamsters then any other part of the site, so I'm hoping this'll be a good motivator to do more interesting things as a gaming community rather then just a gaming audience.

We don't play nearly enough videogames together and I feel like it's partially my fault because I'm usually too burnt out from sitting at a computer desk all day to log in and die repeatedly on the TF2 or other game servers. :(

Luckily the corporate overlords love the Twitch stuff (BECAUSE IT COMES WITH PRETTY NUMBERS) so we've been able to use that as an excuse to start playing games with you folks on work time, and I know Mr. Bolding has been trying to play all sorts of fun things whenever they let him. :D

Ergh, thanks for sticking with us, hopefully we'll have some new fun things soon.

*Gamergate was/is a drama shitstorm about things that we've already had internal policies against from the beginning (hell, I remember being suspicious of radio DJs when growing up for where they were getting their free CDs from) - and needed external policies written up that just weren't because :effort: - nothing that happened recently had Gamergate anywhere near it, and the only in-office discussions were along the lines of discussing a trainwreck as seen from an advertising-metric-filled Zeppelin. It's all about money and effort. Like pretty much everything. :/

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kross said:
I believe I speak for a majority of the community when I say we'd love to see you guys engage with us more. Judging by your post and the efforts of the new CM, y'all are on the right track.

Also, I'd love to see more features added for us PubClubbers. Doing more twitch stream stuff with us would be awesome (but not TF2 'cause I am awful)!

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Davroth said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Davroth said:
If the person saying it is part of the community staff? Hardly. I just repeated what he said since it got lost in the noise and people were still arguing about it.
You do realize he in no way suggested in his post that it was behind the scenes info, right? Pretty sure he doesn't have access to how many dropped versus how many joined in his job moderating the forums. Him saying he saw significantly more people giving reasons for ditching it makes it obvious he'd be talking about posts in thw forum, not some sort of special info he'd have access to as a mod.

Also you went a step further than anything he said with "There's your answer why cost cutting measures had to be taken" etc. At like
.. what is it, 20 a year? You'd need a pretty big amount to match someone's salary if even one of them was full time.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Fappy said:
Kross said:
I believe I speak for a majority of the community when I say we'd love to see you guys engage with us more. Judging by your post and the efforts of the new CM, y'all are on the right track.

Also, I'd love to see more features added for us PubClubbers. Doing more twitch stream stuff with us would be awesome (but not TF2 'cause I am awful)!
Amen to that. If anything spelled out 2014 at the escapist, it's that my opinion means nothing here. Maybe it was more like game journalism over all was I felt like I was being scolded so much lately by pretty much everybody.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009

Well, been nice knowing you guys. Even if I havn't always been able to get on all the time, I'm gonna miss you guys: Gonna miss talking berserk with Shinji, Devil May Cry with Daystar and just general random conversations I've had with others. I'll go down with the ship, mainly because I have an escape submarine prepared so I can go down with the ship AND survive to tell the story afterwards.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
Sad to see Greg leave, although I haven't listened to the Escapist podcast for a while (since Susan Arendt left), I still remember Greg being one of the better hosts. This feels like a Rev3Games 2.0.