Escapist Expo to Host Smosh Games Crew

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
"Smosh Games is like the comedic counterpart to The Escapist, sharing our love of all things video games". No, the comedic counterpart to The Escapist is ALL OF THE VIDEO SERIES on The Escapist. And they don't share the Escapist's love of video games, they share the love of money. And how video games can make them lots and lots of money.

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
What the fuck Escapist?

I know you got bought out by Alloy Digital, who owns Smosh (like another guy kindly pointed out), but really?

FUCKING SMOSH?

Does anyone on this site actually like them?

I mean, try comparing LRR or Zero Punctuation, to this piece of shit:

Please nobody go to their booth, and just ignore them on the panels (that will actually be funnier than any of the content these guys put out).

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
While I did not plan to attend the Expo, mainly because of the distance separating me from it, I greatly enjoyed the expo videos last year, so it pains me to see these buffoons plaguing the brilliance that will be the expo(deducting, at least, from how it went last time). Then again, I suppose if they stick to their own panels, and clearly label the videos with them present I will not mind it, speaking as a someone who won't be there to actually experience the event.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
MrTwo said:
I lasted 30 seconds into that video[footnote]Challenge set! Anyone care to best that time?[/footnote] - and was on my way out with the typical headphone/speaker/eardrum-killing intro at obnoxious and unnecessary volume. That was fucking awful.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Teoes said:
MrTwo said:
I lasted 30 seconds into that video[footnote]Challenge set! Anyone care to best that time?[/footnote] - and was on my way out with the typical headphone/speaker/eardrum-killing intro at obnoxious and unnecessary volume. That was fucking awful.
Here, have a funny version of that video:

And I actually made it to the end of this video.
Somehow more enjoyable than their gaming shows, which are as funny as having your fingernails ripped out whilst being forced to listen to a duet of Miley Cyrus and Kesha.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
I wasn't going anyway, but I'd like to say that I also hate Smosh (and their affiliates) with a fiery passion. I'm also fascinated to see that I'm not alone in blocking Smosh thumbnails from popping up.

Honestly, Smosh? Really? That's what the Escapist is tied to? Jesus Christ.

major_chaos said:
And suddenly I find myself a little bit less sad that I can't make it to the expo, so thanks for that I guess.
QFT

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
It is rather interesting how their appearance gets universal hatred. Personally I have no idea who they are.. But wow, I suppose I should not look them up. They seem to be evil incarnate if this thread is to be believed. o_O

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Is this to attract people who don't visit the Escapist and watch Smosh to go to the event? If so... shit.

It's extremely easy to see the great hatred Escapists have for Smosh, and now they have panels in the Escapist Expo?

I don't have a huge problem with cross-promotion, hell, I actually didn't mind their god awful top 5s plaguing this website's video schedule (mainly because we got Lisa back afterwards), but this is something else.

Smosh and The Escapist don't mix, I thought everyone got that message when users reacted to their videos being here.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
Aerosteam said:
Is this to attract people who don't visit the Escapist and watch Smosh to go to the event? If so... shit.

It's extremely easy to see the great hatred Escapists have for Smosh, and now they have panels in the Escapist Expo?

I don't have a huge problem with cross-promotion, hell, I actually didn't mind their god awful top 5s plaguing this website's video schedule (mainly because we got Lisa back afterwards), but this is something else.

Smosh and The Escapist don't mix, I thought everyone got that message when users reacted to their videos being here.
This is most definitely true. Also, this completely violates one of the pillars of the Escapist. One of which is have a great time, another being meet the creators from the site! Smosh no longer contributes to the site, so this doesn't fit AT ALL.

Alloy Digital, you're trying to fit the square block through the round hole here. PLEASE STOP!

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Just imagine.
At some meeting, somewhere, the words "We should get Smosh to attend the Escapist Expo" was uttered. And a bunch of other people agreed.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
Pinkamena said:
Just imagine.
At some meeting, somewhere, the words "We should get Smosh to attend the Escapist Expo" was uttered. And a bunch of other people agreed.
I curse those people with a fiery, passionate hatred.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
Just found their video advertising their appearance. No one from the SmoshGames audience seems to care. They're just suggesting games for them to play.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
MrTwo said:
Yes we are just nowhere near as vocal as those that don't like it, as with every hate topic on the site like Bioware and ea it seems that the people who dislike the subject insist on being as loud as possible to show people how stupid they are for liking something they don't.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
lemby117 said:
MrTwo said:
Yes we are just nowhere near as vocal as those that don't like it, as with every hate topic on the site like Bioware and ea it seems that the people who dislike the subject insist on being as loud as possible to show people how stupid they are for liking something they don't.
I just don't understand why they're going when they don't even contribute anymore.

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Calibanbutcher said:
Somehow more enjoyable than their gaming shows, which are as funny as having your fingernails ripped out whilst being forced to listen to a duet of Miley Cyrus and Kesha.
You were saying? :D

lemby117 said:
OK you like them I think they are absolute shite, each to their own, but is it really feasible to bring them to the Escapist Expo when the vast majority of users seem to hold a fiery dislike for them (so much so that their videos were taken off the site). And if they aren't contributors anymore, and they aren't developers or guest speakers to offer insights into the industry and whatnot, what the hell are they doing there? I'll tell you what, promoting the Alloy Digital brand that the Escapist is now a part of.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
MrTwo said:
Calibanbutcher said:
You were saying? :D

lemby117 said:
OK you like them I think they are absolute shite, each to their own, but is it really feasible to bring them to the Escapist Expo when the vast majority of users seem to hold a fiery dislike for them (so much so that their videos were taken off the site). And if they aren't contributors anymore, and they aren't developers or guest speakers to offer insights into the industry and whatnot, what the hell are they doing there? I'll tell you what, promoting the Alloy Digital brand that the Escapist is now a part of.
Me and my big mouth...
Luckily ze german government protects it's citizens from having to listen to such filth.
Ach, ze youtube is restricting mein access.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I have no idea who Smosh is. I was expecting to come into this thread to be greeted by cries of "Yay! Smosh will be here!".

This has been a strange experience for me. And it will likely be rather strange for Smosh as well.

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Calibanbutcher said:
Me and my big mouth...
Luckily ze german government protects it's citizens from having to listen to such filth.
Argh, my cunning scheme is foiled. For once censorship has saved you. Trust me, I listened to the first 30 seconds of that crap, just to make sure it WAS crap. Definitely not worth it.

You win this time, Germany.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
MrTwo said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Me and my big mouth...
Argh, my cunning scheme is foiled. For once censorship has saved you. Trust me, I listened to the first 30 seconds of that crap, just to make sure it WAS crap. Definitely not worth it.

You win this time, Germany.

Also: It can't be just me who thinks that Miley Cyrus's newer songs have an inredibly strong undertone of melancholy?
I mean for god's sake, her "party" "anthem": "We can't stop" is a real downer that makes one want to kinda sit somewhere quiet and ponder the meaning and the implications of life instead of partying harder, and the new single "wrecking ball" is just flat out depressing.
There is nothing "funny" or "sexy" about the video either, nope, sterile lighting and a solitary Miley posing for the camera. If it wasn't for the failed attempts at being "erotic", what with her licking the big ole sledge-hammer and trying to pose seductively for the camera, the video could be downright brilliant in a melancholic, sad kinda way.

EDIT:
To avoid ze off-topic-Banhammer:

I'd very much prefer Miey Cyrus as a guest-star. Still more entertaining than Smosh, classier too.