Escapist Expo to Host Smosh Games Crew

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
DewMan001 said:
lemby117 said:
MrTwo said:
Does anyone on this site actually like them?
Yes we are just nowhere near as vocal as those that don't like it, as with every hate topic on the site like Bioware and ea it seems that the people who dislike the subject insist on being as loud as possible to show people how stupid they are for liking something they don't.
I just don't understand why they're going when they don't even contribute anymore.
If I remember correctly, one of the Smosh Games guys said that they were not employed by the Escapist nor did they get paid by the Escapist for their Top 5 videos. So my guess is that their videos were just uploaded here because they SG and Escapist has the same parent company and some people missed Lisa's Top 5 vids after they silently passed away some time ago and Alloy thought "Well, we have this other top 5 show, maybe they will like that" and uploaded SG top 5's here.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Weaver said:
They're basically a gaming/comedy channel aimed at like 13 year olds.
This isn't being flamboyantly derogatory like "omg they're so immature" it really does seem to be comedy targeted specifically at that age range. I have two younger cousins around that age who just love them.

I mean, that's fine; fill the market niche and make your money. But we're all old, jaded gamers here.
No offence to your cousins and granted it was a reeeally long time ago but I'd like to think that even 13 year-old me would've seen this as a pile! Maybe I was old and jaded even when young.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
hey I'm sure someone is excited about this.
Neat. But most people here are voicing their own opinions, rather than the opinions someone else somewhere probably has.

Speaking of which, I hope this is just the escapist trying to attract the non-escapist crowd. I really hope we're not looking up to Smosh as a good thing.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Smosh? Here? Doesn't seem like a good idea, even when I saw a distant Smosh branch on this site, ShutUpCartoons, I found myself asking "Why?" This is the wrong audience for their kind of stuff.

My loyalty to Smosh mostly stems from the fact I've been watching them since their humble beginnings, which were much more original than today's stuff, by the way. But to be fair, they have a very difficult job. I think they've made a big mistake in spreading themselves so thin.

At least they appeal to the audience they have, just keep then away from this place of burning hatred. It annoys me because it makes me feel very unwelcome, like I should just pack my bags and stay with the YouTube commenters with all the other heathens.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
In response to the "Define real gamer" question, others have mentioned it themselves when they quotes their "gaming commentary" with nothing but "Aaah, wooo, yay, wooo aaah" etc. That's the sound of a very boring LPer doing it simply for views and the money, not from their heart/passion for gaming like myself, Jim Sterling and hundreds if not thousands of other Lets Players on Youtube of varying sizes who don't do it simply for money.

That is what separates SmoshGames and other fake/casual gamers like iJustine from the rest of the Youtube community.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
Headsprouter said:
Smosh? Here? Doesn't seem like a good idea, even when I saw a distant Smosh branch on this site, ShutUpCartoons, I found myself asking "Why?" This is the wrong audience for their kind of stuff.

My loyalty to Smosh mostly stems from the fact I've been watching them since their humble beginnings, which were much more original than today's stuff, by the way. But to be fair, they have a very difficult job. I think they've made a big mistake in spreading themselves so thin.

At least they appeal to the audience they have, just keep then away from this place of burning hatred. It annoys me because it makes me feel very unwelcome, like I should just pack my bags and stay with the YouTube commenters with all the other heathens.
I'm glad to see that even a fan of theirs (it's okay to like their stuff) agrees that it just isn't that good of a fit. Again, it's like trying to fit the square block through the round hole. It isn't going to work. You can like their stuff, that's fine. Just don't try to bring it over to an audience that clearly doesn't want it.

You are most welcome here, Headsprouter, but Smosh aren't.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
DewMan001 said:
I'm glad to see that even a fan of theirs (it's okay to like their stuff) agrees that it just isn't that good of a fit. Again, it's like trying to fit the square block through the round hole. It isn't going to work. You can like their stuff, that's fine. Just don't try to bring it over to an audience that clearly doesn't want it.

You are most welcome here, Headsprouter, but Smosh aren't.
Thanks for that. I think Smosh are making a mistake with it as much as the Escapist are, but then again, the Escapist should really know better. Smosh often makes the mistake of trying to latch on to far too many niches: vlogs, gaming, animation, sketch comedy and now they're trying to interest an audience that already knows about them and for the most part hates them. Their main channel's standards have already fallen drastically. And the Escapist is trying to attract a community that will have little interest in that of the site, and that the majority of which has a demeanour that just won't fit in. It attracts the wrong type of crowd and I fear it'll make the mods more aggressive, as well as creating a rift between older and newer members.

At least SmoshGames is half non-Smosh members, brought in from a separate channel, those being Sohinki, Lasercorn and Jovenshire. They'll probably work with the Escapist community, just keep Ian and Anthony away. I'm not sure about Mari, though. She's a bit like Lisa Foiles...

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Speaking of youtube-celebrities completely unrelated to the Esapist, could you perhaps invite Chef John from Foodwishes.com [http://www.youtube.com/user/foodwishes] next year? thx.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Teoes said:
MrTwo said:
I lasted 30 seconds into that video and was on my way out with the typical headphone/speaker/eardrum-killing intro at obnoxious and unnecessary volume. That was fucking awful.
Got through the entire video.

Fuck that noise. Was there a joke, punchline, any kind of coherence?

OT: This seems like a stupid marketing discussion. The escapist commentators tend to talk in depth about games and other topics. Smosh is just a bunch of lets plays and comedy, not really known for discussions, which was primarily what the escapists events were to my understanding.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
I made it 3 minutes and 51 seconds in to that piece of crap. Were there any, you know, jokes... or humour? You know, those staples of the sketch comedy art form? I had to go and watch some LoadingReadyRun just to detox and cleanse. I feel that these statistics clearly show that Smosh are not a good fit for the Escapist Expo.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I've not bothered with anything Smosh produces because frankly, the thumbnails are stupid looking, obnoxious yet eye catching. I don't think I've watched anything, not even from their "gaming" channel. Tho this thought of bringing them in is a bad move on Escapist's part.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
We could always, you know, email Alloy Digital: http://www.alloydigital.com/contact-us/

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
According to the website, not a Smosh member in sight: http://www.escapistexpo.com/guests