SupahEwok said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
New Direction wishlist

*Bring back the polls
*Bring back the badges
*Bring back the notification lights
*Bring back the integrated forums
*Bring back the sensible front page

Make the site functional again before you start flaunting new thinkpiece columns. Put out the fire first, THEN hire new employees.
The fact of the matter is the first 4 items on your list don't make the site money. Not in its current state, anyway. Which is why we've been neglected since the buyout.
I get that, and realize the don't look urgent, but the point I wanna drive in is we've had revolving door management for over a year now and every "new direction" seems to amount to "let's add more stuff!" instead of fixing the obvious, immediate problem: the site's architecture, which has been crumbling for quite a while. It's like worrying about interior decoration while the house's on fire.
Or like investing in the best possible fishing rod, bait, and tackle... but your net has a gaping hole in it. Yeah, you'll attract new viewers, but you won't keep them.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I just wish that the site gets more people again. It is starting to affect the quality of discussions we have since since the last bunch like bastardofmelbourne left.

That is also the main point i am sorry that R&P is gone. Way too many posters stopped after that as they likely didn't feel welcome anymore. I am far from sure they come back even if the site is redesigned.

But well, so far the new new direction does not sound bad. Maybe it works.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kyle Gaddo said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Please for the love of everything, lighten up the rules. They're so damn long and stuffy.
No.

Drathnoxis said:
Can the new direction include a separate subforum for Religion and Politics again? We used to have one but they axed it a couple months ago for reasons that were never explained to us. It's to the severe detriment of Off Topic to have the more active political arguments force other topics down the page and I don't think anybody here is really happy with the situation.
This is something I was discussing before, but if R&P makes a return, it won't be R&P, but something adjacent. There's nothing close to a final decision yet, but I have a skeleton of what subforums I would like to see included.
Either R&P is coming back, or it isn't.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
Nick Calandra said:
To do the mod thing:

Let's keep this thread on topic please. The feedback we're getting is helping and this stuff is way off topic :)
*Rogal Dorn voice* yay. Validation

In all seriousness I'd like to contrast Nick Calandra's replies in this thread to Kyle Gado's. Personally, I like Nick's approach better as he seems to understand how you say something can be just as important as the contents of what you say. But to be fair to Kyle, sometimes the more blunt approach is needed, and it's also a lot easier to be patient when you are fresh faced to the community and haven't been worn down by all the nonsense here and having to do a thankless job.

I'm also glad to hear that R&P is(probably) coming back, even if we have to call it something different so we can pretend closing it in the first place wasn't a bad idea.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
How are account transfers going to be handled, if at all. I figure shifting the membership would be a pain in the ass and might not be feasible, but are you going to have some way to save an email to lock in preexisting accounts. If everyone has to reregister, I can see that being a war zone of trolling as some unscrupulous members try to snipe names. (i.e- If I am fast enough what stops me from registering Zontar or Saelune before they get the chance?) Also, there has been a lot... A LOT... of members who requested a self ban in protest of this place being a tire fire at the end of Defy's run. Will there be a way for them to have that lifted when the new forums open, or are they plain shit out of luck and you're just going to port over the ban list as is? There have been a lot of people who would probably return if they could have their accounts unlocked.

Saelune said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Please for the love of everything, lighten up the rules. They're so damn long and stuffy.
No.

Drathnoxis said:
Can the new direction include a separate subforum for Religion and Politics again? We used to have one but they axed it a couple months ago for reasons that were never explained to us. It's to the severe detriment of Off Topic to have the more active political arguments force other topics down the page and I don't think anybody here is really happy with the situation.
This is something I was discussing before, but if R&P makes a return, it won't be R&P, but something adjacent. There's nothing close to a final decision yet, but I have a skeleton of what subforums I would like to see included.
From the wording he's chosen, I'm betting that there'll be a "R&P in Gaming" like board where discussion can be had on R&P so long as it pertains to things like "lootbox legislation", but that raw discussion like how the R&P board was handled will just be outright locked.

If it was me though, I'd just have R&P on a password protected subforum that is hidden off the forum list, and have in the rules if you want a link to the subforum and the password you have to contact a mod. It's hidden from view of the normal users, nobody that doesn't want to be there had to see it, and all discussion of R&P on the main forum can just be locked outright because there's a place for that still. Though, whatever mod draws the short straw and gets control of that subforum I hope they're paid to watch over it.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Armadox said:
How are account transfers going to be handled, if at all. I figure shifting the membership would be a pain in the ass and might not be feasible, but are you going to have some way to save an email to lock in preexisting accounts. If everyone has to reregister, I can see that being a war zone of trolling as some unscrupulous members try to snipe names. (i.e- If I am fast enough what stops me from registering Zontar or Saelune before they get the chance?) Also, there has been a lot... A LOT... of members who requested a self ban in protest of this place being a tire fire at the end of Defy's run. Will there be a way for them to have that lifted when the new forums open, or are they plain shit out of luck and you're just going to port over the ban list as is? There have been a lot of people who would probably return if they could have their accounts unlocked.

Saelune said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
No.

Drathnoxis said:
From the wording he's chosen, I'm betting that there'll be a "R&P in Gaming" like board where discussion can be had on R&P so long as it pertains to things like "lootbox legislation", but that raw discussion like how the R&P board was handled will just be outright locked.

If it was me though, I'd just have R&P on a password protected subforum that is hidden off the forum list, and have in the rules if you want a link to the subforum and the password you have to contact a mod. It's hidden from view of the normal users, nobody that doesn't want to be there had to see it, and all discussion of R&P on the main forum can just be locked outright because there's a place for that still. Though, whatever mod draws the short straw and gets control of that subforum I hope they're paid to watch over it.
I am not sure how you gathered that from the wording, considering they already stated they did not see any issue with what was being discussed here already and have participated in discussions themselves so not likely they would want to alienate a good portion of the community like that. From the wording, I gathered they may just rename it "Current events" or something else along the lines of "Real life stuff" and allow for the discussions that already take place to take place there.

I have seen nothing said thus far that would make me think they would limit R&P the way you suggested, but rather they would moderate it to where hatespeech, insults and otherwise demeaning behaviors would be more strictly moderated. In addition trying to hide it further as you stated would also alienate a good portion of the community as well and discourage participation leading to further dwindling of the community. If the objective is to grow and bring the community closer together, stuffing the members of that community into a closet and hiding it away would have the opposite effect.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Armadox said:
If everyone has to reregister, I can see that being a war zone of trolling as some unscrupulous members try to snipe names. (i.e- If I am fast enough what stops me from registering Zontar or Saelune before they get the chance?)
Oh shit, that's a good point. It'd even be possible to snag up a few mod names too, that could be disastrous.

Red Sentinel

May 20, 2014
Saelune said:
Probably some internal discussions need to happen, as there seems to be a bit of disagreement or a difference of opinion there.

Armadox said:
From the wording he's chosen, I'm betting that there'll be a "R&P in Gaming" like board where discussion can be had on R&P so long as it pertains to things like "lootbox legislation"
They already had that. It was called "Game Industry Discussion".

And it was awful.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
IceForce said:
Armadox said:
If everyone has to reregister, I can see that being a war zone of trolling as some unscrupulous members try to snipe names. (i.e- If I am fast enough what stops me from registering Zontar or Saelune before they get the chance?)
Oh shit, that's a good point. It'd even be possible to snag up a few mod names too, that could be disastrous.
Yea and people disappear for long periods of time and come back, as I have done repeatedly, especially when I was travelling with MSF so coming back and not being able to log in or figure out what happened would likely disorient people. If there is a means to transfer the user base would solve the problem though.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Red Sentinel said:
Armadox said:
From the wording he's chosen, I'm betting that there'll be a "R&P in Gaming" like board where discussion can be had on R&P so long as it pertains to things like "lootbox legislation"
They already had that. It was called "Game Industry Discussion".

And it was awful.
GID was nothing more than a containment dumpster to toss every thread into that pertained to the subject we can't talk about anymore.

Oh, they tried to dress it up to be something more than that, but it was obvious to everyone that they were just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Lil devils x said:
I have seen nothing said that would make me think they would limit R&P the way you suggested, but rather they would moderate it to where hatespeech, insults and otherwise demeaning behaviors would be more strictly moderated.
Current Events doesn't exactly work, as that'd be better for like, news and stuff in what the forum's actually for. Like, I can see a G2A punching bag being current events. R&P is broad and doesn't qualify as that. As for moderating it with an iron fist, no mod has the kind of time to deal with that. It'd just be a constant war of attrition as everyone flags each other over the dumbest shit. R&P is already a ban sponge as it is now. I have no dogs in this fight, personally. I'm on record for R&P to be removed from the forum, and I stand by that statement. However, if it has to exist choking up on the rules will only weed out those with lesser skill in wording their posts. The people who've been at this a while already manage to skirt by with passive-aggressive garbage.

Edit:
Nick Calandra said:
Let's not speculate on this stuff. There's no hidden meaning behind our wording. It's in the back of our minds, but it's not a priority right this second till we get the front page sorted out.
I don't think there's hidden meaning. I think you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. However you run R&P, it's going to be a ban sponge.

Speaking of banned members haunting this place from beyond the grave. Can we kill the "motto of the moment" thing at the top of the screen? There is no filter on that thing, so you sometimes get "Bleached dicks for Zontar! motto of the moment: Fox12" on it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Armadox said:
Speaking of banned members haunting this place from beyond the grave. Can we kill the "motto of the moment" thing at the top of the screen? There is no filter on that thing, so you sometimes get "Bleached dicks for Zontar! motto of the moment: Fox12" on it.
You can turn that off

Profile > Subscriptions & Benefits > Motto Panel

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Armadox said:
You can turn that off

Profile > Subscriptions & Benefits > Motto Panel
Huh. Neat. I actually didn't know that. But I haven't checked the options in years.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nick Calandra said:
Armadox said:

Saelune said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
No.

Drathnoxis said:

Let's not speculate on this stuff. There's no hidden meaning behind our wording. It's in the back of our minds, but it's not a priority right this second till we get the front page sorted out. As of this writing, there's not a laid out plan for the forums aside from that we want to modernize it and are looking at how to do it safely to not lose traffic, the archive of content, etc.

As I said in previous posts, when we're ready to communicate changes and ask for feedback we will, but gonna need some time to get everything sorted, not going to happen overnight.

Your concerns are being noted though.
Speculation is all we got, and with the history of people 'saving this place from ruin', well, you have to understand our point of view.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kyle Gaddo said:
A lot of what v2's forums will allow will be dictated by how customizable the forum software ends up being. We can have ideas until the cows come home, but we're ultimately limited by that.

We're trying to make the best decision for everyone here, including us. Our priority is to offer you a good, safe home with a thoughtful and fun community that not only you can integrate well into and feel comfortable, but also integrates well with our website and our image.

Not sure how many of you have ever walked a tightrope, but this one has raging fires on one side and a pool full of alligators on the other.

I still have all your feature requests from the poll earlier in the year and they're cataloged and everything. You've been heard and I'm always listening. Promise. My position is not just making the best decisions for you in our community, but being an advocate for you when you have concerns or ideas.

That said, you can always get at me by email. I'm your primary point of contact for everything.
The Escapist Forums are surprisingly unique I feel. They are so nice looking compared to most forums. I also like the lack of clutter. I am glad signatures never became a thing here.

I think it is very easy to follow a conversation, to understand who is replying to who.

I really don't think the core of what we want (though I can only truly speak for myself) is -that- much, the biggest thing is most of us want to be able to partake in what we enjoy without what we don't enjoy getting crossed into us.

I also think it is foolish to discount the popularity of R&P. Yes, plenty of users wish they could just put their fingers in their ears and not have it be here at all, but R&P was very active.

Also again, I must keep reitierating the value of transparency. That rope will be less treacherous if we are kept in the loop, can provide ample feedback in advance, and if those in power genuinly consider our feedback.

Like, if you guys want to perhaps, remove R&P, you tell us in advance, explain why, try it out, take feedback, then act on that feedback, instead of just suddenly doing it and never explaining why, and never altering to feedback.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Saelune said:
The Escapist Forums are surprisingly unique I feel. They are so nice looking compared to most forums. I also like the lack of clutter. I am glad signatures never became a thing here.

I think it is very easy to follow a conversation, to understand who is replying to who.
Agreed, I hope it stays this simple. Reddit's version, for example, is a bit of a cluster fuck (At least with the old Reddit. The re-design makes my eyes bleed)

Also again, I must keep reitierating the value of transparency. That rope will be less treacherous if we are kept in the loop, can provide ample feedback in advance, and if those in power genuinly consider our feedback.

Like, if you guys want to perhaps, remove R&P, you tell us in advance, explain why, try it out, take feedback, then act on that feedback, instead of just suddenly doing it and never explaining why, and never altering to feedback.
This was the biggest problem I had with the way that decision was handled. This push for transparency is a big step in the right direction!

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
I am aware. Feature requests are fine and all that, just try to keep the speculation on what decisions we "might" make to a minimum. The forum users will in fact be getting an early look at the new site design to provide feedback before anyone else does in the near term.

Same thing will happen with the forums too.
Prepare for a lot of "This doesn't look like the old site D:" in both a literal and figurative sense 😜 Looking forward to it though.