Escapist heading in "a new direction"

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
This kind of involves the forum again, but if you can, make a thread in the forums for each content piece just as it was in the old days. This will allow you to not have to juggle two different commenting systems/communities at once and also drive traffic back to the forum again.

Oh, and the Badge system. That was pretty damn amazing and unique. I think everyone was sad to see them stagnate as they did.
If we do end up moving to Xenforo, I do know for a fact they have a badge system, so that should be an easy implement.
XenForo has a trophy system, but it is sadly not at all on the scale of the Badge system that the Escapist has. Now, there ARE purchasable add-ons that will add badge functionality, but as said, you'd have to purchase them.

Now having said that, poking around the XF settings, I think one could maybe jerry-rig a badge system together. but it would definitely take a bit of coding. You'll also have to create an entirely new quiz system to link into it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nick Calandra said:
Hey all!

As an update on this, it looks like we'll be able to implement the updated site design...this weekend! Was originally planning on doing it Sunday night, but gonna do it tomorrow night so we're not dealing with any issues Monday at the start of a new work week.

The site will go into maintenance tomorrow night (Saturday, July 27th) at 10 PM CST and will remain in maintenance until the update is completed.

We'll be using Sunday as a feedback day and to fix any issues you guys might find with the site, make updates as needed.

Thanks all, see you then!
Havent won me over yet, but you're atleast saying the right things.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Palindromemordnilap said:
Another new direction? We're going on quite a few of those lately, there can't be many left XD

If this doesn't call for a "hold my beer, I don't know what does.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Post some preliminary feedback in the other topic;

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/703.1057253-New-Website-Design-Being-Implemented-July-27th

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Ok, so I've been away since... Let me see...
I last came to visit when Russ Pitts announced he would try to resuscitate this site. It seems like his attempts went approximately how you'd expect CPR on a bloated rotting corpse to turn out.

At least the forums are still alive dangling here (it would seem our ever-shifting rulers want to keep this insular little island community of weirdos in their net until they can figure out how to monetize it). Would anyone care to give me a little recap of what's been going on?
I feel like my head is spinning trying to deduce recent events from forum posts like some kind of neckbeard Nancy Drew.

It's so weird to see such an integral part of my teenage years going through all of this. To think my entire MLP phase played out in here.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Nick Calandra said:
Jonluw said:
Ok, so I've been away since... Let me see...
I last came to visit when Russ Pitts announced he would try to resuscitate this site. It seems like his attempts went approximately how you'd expect CPR on a bloated rotting corpse to turn out.

At least the forums are still alive dangling here (it would seem our ever-shifting rulers want to keep this insular little island community of weirdos in their net until they can figure out how to monetize it). Would anyone care to give me a little recap of what's been going on?
I feel like my head is spinning trying to deduce recent events from forum posts like some kind of neckbeard Nancy Drew.

It's so weird to see such an integral part of my teenage years going through all of this. To think my entire MLP phase played out in here.
Sept 2018 - Escapist V2 launch

Feb 2019 - Russ Pitts leave of absence after events

June 2019 - I become Managing Editor of Video / we sent Yahtzee to E3 and he had a lot of "fun"

July 2019 - Site design refreshed, new content direction announced, Gameumentary becomes part of Escapist

August 2019 - I'm announced as Editor in Chief, Yahtzee doc on the way, Insurgency doc on the way, new video games show with new personality in development, more news added to our line-up, lots of feature write-ups on games and other interesting topics.

September 2019 - More new content.
Thanks. It's been a bit of a hobby of mine to come have a look at the escapist once a year or so ever since things started going downhill. It's quite fascinating how long the site has been able to stay alive in its ghost town state.

I'm being snarky for the fun of it, but I do actually wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. It would be really cool to see the site restored to its former glory.