Escapist News Network: Inside the Newsroom

JEllery

May 12, 2010
I dunno if you guys read all of these, but I personally loved this style WAY more than the news desk. Don't get me wrong, the news desk is funny but the newsroom feels so much more personal - you're not trying so hard to keep straight faces or get the lines right or whatever, small giggles are what bring out humanity in a world filled with bleak faced presenters.

Good work chaps :D

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
Am I the only one that has no clue what "Silhouette Facility" is supposed to be? Shadow Factory? Google says it's either an online flash game on like Addicting Games or something...or a book about 9/11. I doubt you meant either of those.

Galenthros

Nov 21, 2009
This was probably the best Escapist News Network I've seen in quite some time. I remember the ENN segment being my favorite part of the site when it first came out, and over time it became less so as the focus shifted away from silly analysis of silly stories and more towards the graphics and the special segments. (Really, take one of the older episodes and compare it to the new, the amount of change is rather surprising.)

Based on what I saw with the Newsroom show, I've come to the following prima facie conclusion: the Newsroom is funnier than the Newsdesk because it gives more of the cast a chance to express their creativity with less boundaries. Without having to restrict the stories to a stock format of "One line introduction, one punchline, transition, repeat" it allows for the cast to build upon each other, and, in doing so, drastically increase the amount of funny per story, by at least 81%. AT LEAST.

I hope this format continues in whole or in part of the current ENN setup.

BrokenIcon

Oh look, it's me again.
Sep 11, 2008
_Russell_ said:
I like both settings, the standard news desk & the new newsroom.
Maybe use both & switch between them each week?

"It's an aged person in a queue drinking Tea!" :D
This is exactly what I was thinking. Don't make us choose!

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Haha, wow, you guys are really talented. Entertaining even without all the fancy gizmos

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Loved it actually. I thought the topics followed by editorials/comments from each of the people in LRR was hilarious. Reminded me of a gathering of a group of friends that just so happen to love video games. And being funny.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
MOre of this PLEASE! I loved this format so much more! It was fun to see you guys throwing ideas around too!

gravestake

Nov 8, 2010
i really enjoyed this format. maybe i was getting sick of the news desk format but the best difference was how much more open this is. you actually get to see the groups reaction and you dont have to give that stoic delivery. I would like to see this more often, Especially since the ENN has only been released once every two weeks lately. This seems like you could keep it up without it taking nearly as much time

LotsofLuck89

Apr 4, 2010
The Newsroom was still funny, but I feel like ENN has a lot more punch to the jokes and it flows a lot better.

While it seemed a little bit more natural then trying to do a newshow, it didn't seem completely "free-form", as in it still seemed like a show, rather then capturing the process of you guys coming up with funny jokes. If there was a way you could get that more across, I would be much more interested in that rather then doing a cross-breed between the two ideas.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Just a comment: Bungie does not own the rights to Oni. So, no Oni 2, at least, not from Bungie.

The rights to Oni and Myth passed to Take Two in the Microsoft buyout.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Graham_LRR said:
Unfortunately the super dry delivery of the early episodes wasn't clicking with most of The Escapist audience, so we switched it up a couple months ago.
This is just another, more substantial switch-up, to see if it would work.

We're trying new things!
I think this format works. I enjoyed it.

Part of the enjoyment is seeing the crew react to their own jokes-- something probably inappropriate for the more serious newsdesk setting.

It might work well in a rotation with the regular ENN format.