Escapist News Now: Thor Is Now A Girl!

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Is it weird that the only thing that popped into my head after seeing the new costume was "Can they get Zoe Bell to do this once Chris Hemsworth's contracts are up?"

The general history of the comics industry suggests this is little more than a temporary gimmick, largely meant to get the attention of a female audiences who already like the Thor movies, but have presumably never read a Thor comic. I don't have a strong opinion on this one way or another, but I'll give Marvel this much, drumming up interest for a superhero book on The View is about as far out of their usual demographic as they can get.

Fair enough, I suppose, but I'll be just a bit curious if it actually works to draw in new audiences for the title, long-term. Would promoting and creating new female heroines actually increase the demographics of young women buying them, or is it the medium itself that's the limiting factor?

A year or two from now it's basically a given that the alien with a penis will have his hammer back. Question is, what'll happen to this new character after that? Is she some sort of ret-con of an older character, or are they already setting her character up to become a new heroine when this shakeup is settled (perhaps based again on Norse mythology)? Could be an interesting turn for Marvel in the long run if they figure out how to stick that landing.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Uhhh why? This is weird character to do it with. Other superheros are better suited to passing the mantle (like Captain America since CA is a title and he's a symbol). Thor is based on a male god and that's his name. He isn't just a secret identify for Donald Blake (who is a separate person now). Someone else using the hammer doesn't make them Thor. Make a new damn character or do another run with Sif who is in the movies as well and actually market it (still sad her JIM run was cancelled). You already had a female asgardian to do Thor like plots with without being a copy. This is unnecessary. This will likely just be a temporary gimmick and result in her being killed off to bring male Thor back

I'm curious as to what they going to have as the excuse why he is unworthy all of a sudden. Maybe Loki's shit will actually get to him when he finds out about it.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
... You guys do realize there are other gods of the Norse Pantheon right? You writing people couldn't have busted out one other many, many other Norse goddesses like Eir, Valkaryie of Medicine, or Freyja, Goddess of Beauty, Fertility and War? That last one alone would make a pretty badass superheroine.

This reeks of a reader grab.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
Second; Why is replacing Thor with a woman a slight against male fans?
Men can't like new women characters? Women fans can't possibly not like this change?
This sounds more like a personal slight.
If, as they say, they are doing this to court female readers then yes, this is an intentional slight against male readers. If it makes a difference in female readership then why not in male readership? This is an established character and the original Thor is being made obsolete (hopefully temporarily) because he's got nuts between his thighs. Wouldn't you be a little pissed if someone fired you because they wanted to fill your position with a woman (or a man, if you're a woman)? Should we, as men, see it as appropriate because other men who have nothing to do with us have historically ruled the world? I'm not responsible for the sins of my father and father's father any more than I'm responsible for the weather and it is not my obligation to roll over passively to sexism used against my sex in the name of equality. I'm all for equality, just not sexism in the name of equality.

If they just want to do something different and this isn't trying to gain female readership at the cost of male readership then I'd be significantly more ok with it under the guise of artistic integrity. It's their artwork, their literature, and theirs to do with as they please.

I personally think they do need to do something with Thor. I've often times mentally placed him in the same lame box Aquaman is stuck in. If this makes Thor cool then so be it.

As for her being called Thor. (If they are actually calling her Thor)

This doesn't sound like a person just using Thor's weapon, she is given ownership of it. I understand what you mean about Thor being his name, but why can't it also have meaning as a title/role as well? Have they stated it isn't?

Actually, :/ I guess we should be asking Marvel this stuff.....Or the person writing writing this story.
Why do comics have to be so weird? xD
Hmm, interesting. I found a much more elaborate inteview on the topic from the writer:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54083

It appears that who she actually is (under the mask) is going to be a mystery. Could even be Sif, for example. I still think it's a significant mistake to give her someone else's name. It's worse than slapping a feminine name at the end of another hero's name in my opinion. It sounds like they're just trying to avoid the PR debacle of naming her Thor-girl if you ask me. Like, that's Thor Odinson and this is a girl who is borrowing his name for a bit. Like the girl who took Green Arrow's spot for awhile.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
DementedSheep said:
Uhhh why? This is weird character to do it with. Other superheros are better suited to passing the mantle (like Captain America since CA is a title an he's a symbol). Thor is based on a male god and that's his name. He isn't just a secret identify for Donald Blake (who is a separate person now). Someone else using the hammer doesn't make them Thor. Make a new damn character or do another run with Sif and actually market it (still sad her JIM run was cancelled). You already had a female asgardian to do Thor like plots with without being a copy. This is unnecessary. This will likely just be a temporary gimmick and result in her being killed off to bring male Thor back

I'm curious as to what they going to have as the excuse why he is unworthy. Maybe Loki's shit will actually get to him when finds out about it.
Exactly. Bring on the Sif!

UberGott said:
Is it weird that the only thing that popped into my head after seeing the new costume was "Can they get Zoe Bell to do this once Chris Hemsworth's contracts are up?"

The general history of the comics industry suggests this is little more than a temporary gimmick, largely meant to get the attention of a female audiences who already like the Thor movies, but have presumably never read a Thor comic. I don't have a strong opinion on this one way or another, but I'll give Marvel this much, drumming up interest for a superhero book on The View is about as far out of their usual demographic as they can get.

Fair enough, I suppose, but I'll be just a bit curious if it actually works to draw in new audiences for the title, long-term. Would promoting and creating new female heroines actually increase the demographics of young women buying them, or is it the medium itself that's the limiting factor?

A year or two from now it's basically a given that the alien with a penis will have his hammer back. Question is, what'll happen to this new character after that? Is she some sort of ret-con of an older character, or are they already setting her character up to become a new heroine when this shakeup is settled (perhaps based again on Norse mythology)? Could be an interesting turn for Marvel in the long run if they figure out how to stick that landing.
Actually, once the identity of the person behind the power is revealed, this could be a way to introduce her as a long-term character (perhaps the promotion of an already existing character to the front lines of the Marvel AAA list). Likely with her own power and abilities rather than always sticking around with Thor's. I guess it's possible she'll just be another Beta Ray Bill but I'm hoping for something deeper than that. Hope being a fickle thing...

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
I read that the inscription on the hammer said that whoever is worthy to pick up the hammer has the powers of Thor. So she is Thor in namesake only as she has the hammer.
This must be part of the comic, since the mythology doesn't support that. Thor actually required an iron glove (Iarngreiper) to wield the hammer. His belt (Megingjord) increased his strength the tighter he fastened it. While the belt has isn't described as necessary, it is implied. These three things are considered a set.

The mythology is kind of vague on who can wield the hammer and why, since it's been stolen by giants before.

This is one of those weird Marvel translations, since Thor is the God of Thunder and the hammer is merely an accessory (albeit a powerful artifact, but not a defining one), made on account of a bet that Loki made with two dwarves.

I know that the comic has a different story, but in my opinion it bears some weight to consider the actual mythology and why this is a very, very strange development.
It is indeed important to mention that Thor has powers beyond the hammer. He would be a super hero with or without the hammer.

Theodwulf

Jul 10, 2014
The whole Thor as a woman would be pretty impressive if she was to be morbidly obese and/or homely. Instead we will get another lingerie model as a "positive female role model" as cartoon eye candy for young nerds with no private computer time. The "real" Thor, that sexist pig, will pay for his crimes, along with any other "heroes" that are unrepentant white heterosexual males.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Lightknight said:
DementedSheep said:
Uhhh why? This is weird character to do it with. Other superheros are better suited to passing the mantle (like Captain America since CA is a title an he's a symbol). Thor is based on a male god and that's his name. He isn't just a secret identify for Donald Blake (who is a separate person now). Someone else using the hammer doesn't make them Thor. Make a new damn character or do another run with Sif and actually market it (still sad her JIM run was cancelled). You already had a female asgardian to do Thor like plots with without being a copy. This is unnecessary. This will likely just be a temporary gimmick and result in her being killed off to bring male Thor back

I'm curious as to what they going to have as the excuse why he is unworthy. Maybe Loki's shit will actually get to him when finds out about it.

UberGott said:

Actually, once the identity of the person behind the power is revealed, this could be a way to introduce her as a long-term character (perhaps the promotion of an already existing character to the front lines of the Marvel AAA list). Likely with her own power and abilities rather than always sticking around with Thor's. I guess it's possible she'll just be another Beta Ray Bill but I'm hoping for something deeper than that. Hope being a fickle thing...
Right, its not like Sif's isn't a baddass

and then you have different dynamics and personalities to work with. If you want to do the defying expectation because she's a woman theme she already dose that.

I can't actually think of a worse comic to do this to right now. It was gong great, the Thor comic is already being shaken up quite a bit lately so didn't need a drastic change to stop it getting stagnant and a lot of the stuff with Thor just isn't going work if you swap out the character (regardless of gender) since much of it ends up relating to his family and role as Odins son not just his strength.

Hodo Astartes

Jun 22, 2014
Lightknight said:
Sif is a bit too obvious to remain unrecognized, I think.
Looking over the mythological female characters close to Thor, Thrud (means 'strength') would be the natural inheritor of his power.
In the mythology she is the daughter of Thor and Sif. Also the name would be pretty fitting, wouldn't it?
Doesn't mean the character in the comic would be the natural daughter of the two (can somebody run the math on that?). But it would make use of an established mythological character, regardless. And with all the shit going down around Thor, not telling people about your children might be a smart(read: convenient) move.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
Just want to point out if DC came out and changed Wonder Woman to a man, the backlash would be felt by the grandchildren of the writers.
Now whatever you think of new and imboobed Thor, remember its a gimmick designed to sell comics for 'shock' value. Like when they made Superman fat or SpiderMan black.
Wonder Woman was designed to be an "empowering female super hero".

Thorn (I don't know) isn't the only "empowering male super hero". True, there's an irony if they did this to a female character there'd be backlash. But there's a reason why there would be more backlash if it was woman -> man. Women aren't represented to the same degree as men.

It's not that bad since a female Thor is basically a Valkyrie in appearance. The nordic culture was very equal with regard to gender representation. Out of all the male comic book characters, this works the most. Besides, there's a lot of comic cook characters who "pass down" the mantle of the character. Just so happens the mantle of Thor got passed down to a woman. Would there be less backlash if the mantle was passed down to another man?

Could Marvel be doing this for publicity? Who knows?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hodo Astartes said:
Lightknight said:
Sif is a bit too obvious to remain unrecognized, I think.
Looking over the mythological female characters close to Thor, Thrud (means 'strength') would be the natural inheritor of his power.
In the mythology she is the daughter of Thor and Sif. Also the name would be pretty fitting, wouldn't it?
Doesn't mean the character in the comic would be the natural daughter of the two (can somebody run the math on that?). But it would make use of an established mythological character, regardless. And with all the shit going down around Thor, not telling people about your children might be a smart(read: convenient) move.
A main ability of the hammer that Thor uses regularly is to transform his identity. So it could literally be anyone. It likely isn't Sif but I just liked throwing that out there.

UberGott said:
Lightknight said:
Right, its not like Sif's isn't a baddass

Holy crap is that awesome. If I should have a daughter one day, i hope we have Sif posters like this on a wall in her room.
Thor just isn't going work if you swap out the character (regardless of gender) since much of it ends up relating to his family and role as Odins son not just his strength.
Also, a non-trivial amount of Thor's powers are his just from being born an Asgardian. So slapping his hammer in someone else's hands and calling them "Thor" is silly just as much as it'd have been to call all the previous wielders.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Karathos said:
I do agree though that a change from Wonder Woman to Wonder Man would be followed by a ragefest worthy of its own new comic book series. As I said... 'equality'. I guess I'm just a big bitter cynic, meh. :p
I'm a little confused as to how removing one of the few prominent women in comics would be "equality."

erbkaiser said:
That's not what Marvel is saying. They clearly state this IS (supposed to be) Thor -- not She-Thor, not Thorina, etc.. They want us to accept this female character as Thor, not as a new character with Thor's powers.
Well, she is a new character with Thor's powers. And that's okay. We've had multiple heroes (and villains) take over the mantle of multiple super hero names.

I think the point there was mostly that she's taking over the primary role, not just being the Supergirl to his Superman. Especially since they've already promoted that Thor will still be around, just sans powers.

Imp Emissary said:
Kind of like how if a woman put on the stars and stripes outfit and held the shield (and obviously did all the other stuff too), they can become "Captain America".
Funny you should mention that. I learned not too long ago that Sam Wilson (Falcon) took on the role of Captain America, albeit briefly. In the 60s. And I can't help but think that a black guy as the face of 'Murrica in the 60s was less controversial than this.

And I'm not sure if that's more funny or sad.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Lightknight said:
Imp Emissary said:
Second; Why is replacing Thor with a woman a slight against male fans?
Men can't like new women characters? Women fans can't possibly not like this change?
This sounds more like a personal slight.
If, as they say, they are doing this to court female readers then yes, this is an intentional slight against male readers. If it makes a difference in female readership then why not in male readership? This is an established character and the original Thor is being made obsolete (hopefully temporarily) because he's got nuts between his thighs. Wouldn't you be a little pissed if someone fired you because they wanted to fill your position with a woman (or a man, if you're a woman)? Should we, as men, see it as appropriate because other men who have nothing to do with us have historically ruled the world? I'm not responsible for the sins of my father and father's father any more than I'm responsible for the weather and it is not my obligation to roll over passively to sexism used against my sex in the name of equality. I'm all for equality, just not sexism in the name of equality.
xD What?

No. I'll give you that at worst this is a half-hearted stunt that will stink(lots of comic things fall into that unfortunate pit).

However, baring that, the change came in because Thor did some bad things[sub](look in the spoiler of that person I quoted with you a while back if you wish to know what)[/sub] and lost his privilege to have Mjolnir. He's no longer "THE" Thor(though, he still is "Thor") because he lost the right to be so in the story. Not because he's a guy.

They picked a woman to replace Thor because they wanted to write that story and because they thought women could use some more representation. Such was done not to right some old wrongs of the past, but to even out current uneven representation. Comics not always putting their best foot forward when it comes to women in comics isn't something from the faraway past. Plus, it sounds like this has been planned for a while based on that interview.

And so far this seems like a pretty good step to right that. We get a new female character taking on the role of an old male character and the old male character (male Thor) gets to still be around to go off and do whatever he was doing while he lost his hammer.
Lightknight said:
If they just want to do something different and this isn't trying to gain female readership at the cost of male readership then I'd be significantly more ok with it under the guise of artistic integrity. It's their artwork, their literature, and theirs to do with as they please.

I personally think they do need to do something with Thor. I've often times mentally placed him in the same lame box Aquaman is stuck in. If this makes Thor cool then so be it.
Why do you think the readership will for sure go down? All we know about the new Thor(beside her "name" ;p) is that she's a woman (and probably an Asgardian. Probably).
Specifically, why do you say the male fans will drop and the female fans will rise?
It's not like men can't like female characters, or that woman will read anything as long as it stars a woman. xD

Plus, it's not like we lost Thor(male). He just lost his hammer. ;p
Lightknight said:
Hmm, interesting. I found a much more elaborate inteview on the topic from the writer:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54083

It appears that who she actually is (under the mask) is going to be a mystery. Could even be Sif, for example. I still think it's a significant mistake to give her someone else's name. It's worse than slapping a feminine name at the end of another hero's name in my opinion. It sounds like they're just trying to avoid the PR debacle of naming her Thor-girl if you ask me. Like, that's Thor Odinson and this is a girl who is borrowing his name for a bit. Like the girl who took Green Arrow's spot for awhile.
Okay. You don't like the idea. Fair enough, but why say it's a slight targeted at just the male fans? Like I asked; Can't female fans not like it too? Feeling that it may be just a stunt to gain their attention?
I don't think it is, but I guess we'll find out when it's out.

Anyway.

Was that a recent picture you showed of Sif? If so, I doubt she is the new Thor(female). Though, I guess hair dye shouldn't be a technology beyond the Asgardians. xD

Hmm....I wonder why the new Thor would keep her identity secret. Well, I guess we can guess the reason she goes by Thor then at least. xD

Also, when I heard about this, I too thought of Beta Ray Bill. :D

Zachary Amaranth said:
Imp Emissary said:
Kind of like how if a woman put on the stars and stripes outfit and held the shield (and obviously did all the other stuff too), they can become "Captain America".
Funny you should mention that. I learned not too long ago that Sam Wilson (Falcon) took on the role of Captain America, albeit briefly. In the 60s. And I can't help but think that a black guy as the face of 'Murrica in the 60s was less controversial than this.

xD I don't know if I'd go that far. But I would side more on funny than sad. ;p

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Doesn't Loki change back and forth from being a woman all the time...? Not that this is Thor literally changing, but y'know. It really doesn't matter.

Not to mention that, this being comic books, this is just one Thor in one universe in one timeline, and even then they're probably not going to stick with it for that long. Oh, and I'm rolling my eyes at all these posts about the original Thor being "gone" and feminists coming and taking away your toys when he's still alive and well.

Particular characters being particular heroes come and go, you don't need to get your knickers in a twist about it.

Hodo Astartes

Jun 22, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:

I don't think sexism is a big part of the outcry. It's more about the strange wording and impossibility of being Thor if you are not Odin's son. It reeks of retcon and pseudofeminist cashgrab to many.
So I think in the current climate this just looks too much like jumping on the bandwagon and provoking a cheap shock.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Theodwulf said:
The whole Thor as a woman would be pretty impressive if she was to be morbidly obese and/or homely.
You mean like Big Bertha? [http://marvel.com/universe/Big_Bertha]

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
This is pretty gimmicky and will probably go the way of Thunderstrike, i.e. the real Thor will return after a bit and the lady Thor will be given some knock-off hammer and her own series.

I'd rather they just give the Girls of Thunder (Thor's three granddaughters from the far-future) their own series. Have Allfather Thor send them back to help his younger self fight a time traveler or something, and they get stuck there. They've been enjoyable in their appearances in the God of Thunder series so far, and with them we're not waiting for Thor to inevitably get his hammer back.

red255

Apr 22, 2014
Dislike the thor is a girl thing for two reasons,

1. If you are tired of thor just don't DO thor. we don't need NEW thor who is now a chick. There are plenty of asgardian warriors you can use that don't s*** all over viking lore.

2. Was going to go with doesn't this s*** all over viking lore? Hey vikings you know your god of storms you takes your ships to battle? Well he lost his job and some chick got it, don't worry she's totally worthy.

so yeah we don't need new thor, if you are going to do this, just do some xena asgardian instead. Totally fine with more marvel female avengers

I don't want or particulary like reboots of characters you've just kinda rebooted. especially ones that sound stupid and will bar you from valhalla.

would you do this to Jesus? Moses?

Its ... how the hell is Thor not worthy? whats thor doing now he's unemployed?

KILL HIM IN HONORABLE BATTLE if you are going to replace him. don't lay him off and replace him with this affirmative action Bull S***