Escapist Podcast: DRM, Piracy & PC Gaming

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Man, I just won't grow tired of Yahtzee. Dunno why, I feel uncomfortable as a fanboy.
Maybe you could repeat this constellation, I could feel more interesting conflict in opinion than in Extra Consideration, which could've made for a more interesting discussion. But I also felt like you two were holding back so you're not too mean to the other guy. We know it's a show, guys, you're not really ripping the other's head off.

Suggested topic:
After the End: Sequels, Expansions, DLCs and Microtransactions.
That's a broad topic, so my main interest are the last two points since they're recent developments, focus on that, move to the other topics when it's appropriate or the episode needs padding. I'm suggesting it because I expect a few community responses after Portal 2's release.
There's this [http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22370734/QSrwy.jpg] interesting picture floating around the internet. I think it's already food for thought and debate on its own, but in case you need to get into the mood or topic a bit more:

to games can be a two-edged sword: It can mean stuff improves, it can mean stuff gets worse and the game doesn't have to be bad to be perceived as such because it's competing against its big brother - it definitely means the developer team will be too busy working on a different title.
or Add-Ons were usually less expensive than the main game and took a side route that let the player view the world from a different perspective and let the developer make a sequel without paying too much attention to the canon since the storyline of the Expansion is usually either happening in the background of the main game's storyline or filling a gap. Because they were just Expansion Packs and not full games, the expectations weren't as high either and it also gave the devs the chance to respond to feedback and polish.
is usually much shorter than an Expansion, usually just a single puzzle piece like one single bonus mission. They can be categorized in "free DLC" like Valve's support for L4D and TF2 and "charged DLC" like what Bioware does for their games or what certain infamous mappacks were all about (and I don't even play that damn game). You could also sort DLC by how much of an "extra" it is: Does it actually contribute to the canon and ties ends that the main story line forgot, does it make the game feel incomplete without downloading it? Or is it just extra for people that are sad the game ended too soon after 300 hours?
DLC also lets devs adapt quicker to community responses, kinda what Valve *tried* with the episodic content. The only way faster to adapt is...
are something we all probably know from those "free" cheap flashgames or browsergames that often take a simple game archetype, like the adventure in Tolkien's garden or streetfighting or pewpewing in 2D space or racing, and then they actually charge for all the good stuff and benefits in the item store. Valve has also implemented in TF2 and Portal 2, which probably indicates HL3 will also feature it. Again you can differentiate between content that feels like not possessing it takes away a chunk of the experience you think you should have had or it outright gives buyers a straight advantage (especially nasty in multiplayer, but that's the part of content that "generates itself" through player interaction - or so some devs think) and there's the little extras which you can touch if you're a dedicated fan without feeling like you're not cool without it. So you could watch a movie and enjoy it just like everyone else, and then get extras like stickers and a "making-of" for a few bucks extra.

Questions that could make for conflicting opinions to keep the talk fluid:
- Is it justified to bring out "Day 1 DLC" or should you pay for everything the developers have developed till the release date and then be charged by the rule of "extra working time = extra money"?
- Could/Should DLC stay free to prolong a game's lifetime and can it do that?
Valve examples: TF2 is having a good run despite some veterans not recognizing the game they once loved anymore, L4D is regarded as dead outside of LAN parties or games among friends - despite all free DLC, CSS is still surprisingly popular and is regarded a classic that doesn't need to be changed to be played forever. Starcraft would be another example of these "classics" that can survive for a crazy time without much extra content. WoW on the other hand gets its lifetime because of all the new content and overall care and polishing, both free updates for everyone playing and in the shape of expansion packs. There's also DLC in that one, but I didn't put much research behind it.
- (Sequels) Nintendo is releasing the same successful titles every year again and some game franchises grow so big one might fear that will be eventually true for the whole market: You settle two hands full of games and milk the franchise to death, competition won't have space for breathing. Is that fear justified in any way or are we just scared of shadows?
- This is more of a personal thing than a real question, but I'll add it anyway: Are you comfortable with a "splintered" game of which you buy the main piece (hopefully) and then you have to download all kinds of DLC in addition to the usual patches to get to the "real" game? Personally, I feel much more comfortable with the easy way: Pay once, get the full content, download one or two quick patches (or use autopatch functions), play through the game - beginning, middle part, climax, end, one round story - be happy you bought the game, brush your teeth and be eager to play whatever game the developer will surprise you with next.
Sadly in reality it seems AAA games are only worth considering if they boot a whole franchise, making it a definite the story won't be fully concluded in the first title and always leaving room for making the sequel inferior by comparison.
- (Microtransactions) Obvious question everyone will blurt out: Are microtransactions the future?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
C&C renegade was a fucken awesome game, it had some of the best multiplayer around

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Mikey, I watch and enjoy your show man!

Also I enjoy this podcast and would love to have it appear on itunes or some sort of download thing because I'd toss them on my ipod. Same with Miracle of Sound's songs, but those are coming anyway so I don't really need to make this comment.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Yahtzee being called for taking jabs, haha. That's just amusing to hear. And while I can't say he led me to not buy a game I had no intention of buying anyway, he has led me to buy several games I had no interest in beforehand. Just Cause 2, Prototype, and Infamous come immediately to mind. I bought Saints Row 2 and Prototype with my PS3 for how much fun he discussed having in them, and since I figured I would enjoy some of the activities he pronounced as fun, I bought them to check them out. I had little interest in either before hand, and love them now. So, I could easily see him having a small-to-mild effect on sales of certain games, especially given that most people don't buy a game on day 1, but a fair bit of time later.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
My opinion on the podcast:

Get a moderator. Not that moderation is needed, but someone to ask the questions and keep the talk flowing. There were a lot of moments of silence, and "yeah..." responses. I'd like to see more of this, specially with Mikey and Yahtzee, but this was pretty bad...

Apr 28, 2008
Interesting premise, but you'll need more people to make it more interesting.

For example, Shamus Young has some pretty strong opinions on all these things, it would have been great to have him here discussing that stuff.

EDIT: Some [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/5930-The-Impossible-DRM] examples [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/5961-10-Ways-to-Fight-Piracy].

Not to mention all his rants on this stuff on his blog, and the fact that he's a PC gamer. He'd be perfect for these topics! Yahtzee seem's more or less apathetic about it all, while Mikey is an employee of a developer. There wasn't much debate, just both saying stuff and agreeing.

Trafs

Oct 14, 2009
Wow. Awwwwwkward.
I just felt uncomfortable all the way through that. Dunno if it was just me, but there seemed to be a lot of tension between these two... I definitely cringed at one or two of the comments made.

Also, I 100% agree with this post:
Belladonnah said:
My opinion on the podcast:

Get a moderator. Not that moderation is needed, but someone to ask the questions and keep the talk flowing. There were a lot of moments of silence, and "yeah..." responses. I'd like to see more of this, specially with Mikey and Yahtzee, but this was pretty bad...

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
unacomn said:
Did someone call me?

C&C Renegade did a lot of things frighteningly right. It was a superb first person perspective of a RTS legend. And the mutliplayer was ages beyond it's competition.

I too enjoyed Renegade. I'll admit it. Was it perfect? No.
Was it better then a lot of stuff at the time? Hell yes.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
Wait, how is this a podcast if you can't download it? (You know, for like an iPod - or any portable device).

Seemed ok, would be nice to see a round table going on with Escapist and other relevant personalities.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Can we get an RSS audio only please ;)

I like listening to Podcasts while at work. (Australian Gamer podcast gets me through a nightshift with my sanity intact)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I have been telling you guys you should be doing this for months!! Where's my credit?
Loved it, as I said, been waiting a long time for this and I wasn't disappointed. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here now that the fanservice is partly done for. Will the actual subjects and discussions keep us interested?

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
I watched "Anthony saves the World"... I even thought it was pretty good, if somewhat awkwardly choreographed at times. This is interesting but you guys need some sort of mediating host who can keep your conversations flowing. You guys dont seem terribly used to the style of conversation but I like the chance to get your opinions on these things.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
It comes across a little abrasive because it's obvious the two casters are not well acquainted, but hopefully they get time to become a bit more familiar. Unless the entire point of the podcast is to take jabs at each other now and again.

DRM - still annoying if you travel (and thus don't always have a reliable internet connection).
Group play - well said. Besides the seemingly unavoidable hurdle of having people act like idiots when afforded anonymity. A game that allowed me to both single play and co-op play with the same character/profile, and kept everyone happy - that'd be ideal.
PC - necessity (as opposed to consoles) if you travel. Well, that and a DS/psp.
'If it runs on my PC' - Crysis 2 is out and I'd like to play it but I doubt my laptop can run it at decent settings, if at all. So I'll have to wait on that one.
RTS on console - hilarious. I had the warcraft 2 for PSX and I recall it being slightly different than when I played on my friend's pc.

-Possible topic for future podcast: Cover Based Shooting-

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
This was a great podcast. I wonder what kind of people are going to discuss in it. I'd love to see this kinda intermingle with "Extra Consideration".

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
thublihnk said:
Can we get the audio in an RSS feed? I listen to a LOT of podcasts, and sitting still at my computer is pretty much the last way I want to do it.

EDIT: I'm also rather selective with podcasts and THIS-IS-AWESOME. So I REALLY want that RSS feed.
Yeah. Can we please have the podcast as, well, an actual podcast? The way other podcasters do it? I'd like to add an xml link into my podcast software and have that automatically pick it up whenever there's a new one, just as I do with all other podcasts.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
It was hilarious how awkward Yahtzee got when they were talking about Boarderlands.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Team Hollywood said:
DRM, Piracy & PC Gaming

On this first episode, join Yahtzee Croshaw and Mikey Neumann as they converse on some of the biggest topics in games.

Watch Video
Actually Yahtzee, that's not true.

Here (Australia), we do have those signs outside shops, but in order to conduct any kind of search you must have permission to do so. If you don't that is considered an unlawful search, not admissible in court and will land both the company and employer/employee in deep shit. A lot of people don't actually know about this and just let the person on "bag look duty" look anyway, that or they're just really good people that want to do the right thing (I'd like to think this latter is the case for all of them). You'll also notice that the person on "bag look duty" doesn't actually demand to look in the persons bag, they always say "can I have a look?" or "what's in there?" or something similar, or they don't say anything.

Yes, personal experience in the security industry.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Damn I was just getting into an awesome groove, listening to this podcast whilst rocking out, getting schievements on Minecraft.

Might I suggest 30 minute episodes?

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Was I the only one who did not enjoyed this. Too much pauses beteween one and the other. No script or plan, just random talk with little to noooo objectivism. Good luck next episode, this one was lousy.
Moromillas said:
Team Hollywood said:
DRM, Piracy & PC Gaming

On this first episode, join Yahtzee Croshaw and Mikey Neumann as they converse on some of the biggest topics in games.

Watch Video
Actually Yahtzee, that's not true.

Here (Australia), we do have those signs outside shops, but in order to conduct any kind of search you must have permission to do so. If you don't that is considered an unlawful search, not admissible in court and will land both the company and employer/employee in deep shit. A lot of people don't actually know about this and just let the person on "bag look duty" look anyway, that or they're just really good people that want to do the right thing (I'd like to think this latter is the case for all of them). You'll also notice that the person on "bag look duty" doesn't actually demand to look in the persons bag, they always say "can I have a look?" or "what's in there?" or something similar, or they don't say anything.

Yes, personal experience in the security industry.
Not only in Australia, but most of democracies. This is a Police power, in law this is an State act. A prerrogative that only the State, the rightfully and lawfully, responsible for public security. (take that in mind that PMC and PSC only do have a small amount of that power and are not private cops)