Escapist role-playing and you.

ddunit

Aug 14, 2009
Just asking, can I use this on another community as a guideline, I'll put a link to here and everything.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
May I ask if it is okay for another player, or more specifically, the GM to take over one or many characters from the RP, as long as it's for more menial tasks, such as walking on patrol or in the process of planting a bomb, rather than an active role such as a sword-fight or a stand off?

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
May I ask if it is okay for another player, or more specifically, the GM to take over one or many characters from the RP, as long as it's for more menial tasks, such as walking on patrol or in the process of planting a bomb, rather than an active role such as a sword-fight or a stand off?
It certainly is. With the compliance of the player who owns the character, it is sometimes necessary in order to make the RP flow well. You can be in charge of simple narrative like that as a GM, and should specify at the start of the RP what level of control you will likely take of the player's characters from time to time.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
As well as what Higs said, always remember to keep the other players character in-character, if you'll excuse the pun. Don't make a serious character start laughing at gnomes or something.

Doctor_Insano

Oct 23, 2009
i like the idea of this thread, ive ran into the "mary sue" type in my last game: the GM's GF (shocker). i have always gone with the survival is winning approach, and have more flaws than anyone, after all adventuring isn't normal, neither are the people doing it. I play SEVERLY flawed characters, who tend ti end up being badass, mainly because i am seriously lucky with my rolls. Kudos on the info, it should help a lot.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Doctor_Insano said:
i like the idea of this thread, ive ran into the "mary sue" type in my last game: the GM's GF (shocker). i have always gone with the survival is winning approach, and have more flaws than anyone, after all adventuring isn't normal, neither are the people doing it. I play SEVERLY flawed characters, who tend ti end up being badass, mainly because i am seriously lucky with my rolls. Kudos on the info, it should help a lot.
Hahaha... that's a shocker indeed. And they tending to get privileges doesn't make it less frustrating. But then, most first time role players will likely make a couple easily constructed characters, and the risk for a trenchcoater or a Mary Sue is substantial. And, of course, some may make a Mary Sue knowingly, but throw in an amusing twist. There are so very many tropes you can use for comical material. ^_^
Role playing characters with flaws makes for the most human and interesting role play situations, in my experience. I always make sure to have something they struggle with, or some otherwise peculiar quirk. As for luck with the rolls, I've never been prone to that... but one adapts.
Glad I can be of use. <o

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
I'm considering starting a roleplay based on a game I'm making, similar with what I did with Across the Four Great Islands, a roleplay based on a book I'm writing. The idea behind ATFGI was to help form the world through the collaborative ideas of others. I already had it mapped out, but with the roleplay, I've added a few new races, such as the Serpenti and the Exiled Elves, and even integrated them into the story (one of the main characters has a run in with a tribe of Serpenti).

I haven't been able to work on my game because of computer problems, but I have had a craving to work on it recently. Someone before had asked if they could do an RP in the world, and since they never did, I figured I'd give it a go.

The problem is that I already have an RP going, and I'm in another RP on another forum. Would it be smart to get into another RP?

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
TikiShades said:
I'm considering starting a roleplay based on a game I'm making, similar with what I did with Across the Four Great Islands, a roleplay based on a book I'm writing. The idea behind ATFGI was to help form the world through the collaborative ideas of others. I already had it mapped out, but with the roleplay, I've added a few new races, such as the Serpenti and the Exiled Elves, and even integrated them into the story (one of the main characters has a run in with a tribe of Serpenti).

I haven't been able to work on my game because of computer problems, but I have had a craving to work on it recently. Someone before had asked if they could do an RP in the world, and since they never did, I figured I'd give it a go.

The problem is that I already have an RP going, and I'm in another RP on another forum. Would it be smart to get into another RP?
Short answer: no.
Long answer: it depends on you, really. If you have enough free time and mental focus to adequately divide effort between the roleplays, it might not affect them too negatively. My experience, however, tells me they will always inevitably suffer after a period of time, and creative motivation is a fickle thing for most.
I would keep it in the development stages while you are running another roleplay. This is also the recommended method on the Escapist, as seen in the <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.63498#645085>Role-playing thread guidelines, as it helps keep quality up and quantity at a reasonable level.
Now, I know you produce excellent roleplays, and there is likely enough traffic to get enough participants, so it's up to you in the end. Just consider if your concepts deserve having attention divided among them.

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
Oh, I guess I forgot to reply to Higurashi... <.<

Well, I've decided to hold off on making the roleplay for now. I know by the time I'm done writing up a story and everything and get it going, the games I'm in will be started and I'll be overworked. That, and one of my players has started a branch of my game for another forum, and he wants me to Co-DM as a "this be rules of wrold guiz" officer.

Other than that, I figured I'd just do a bit of shameless plugging: Link
It's a usergroup Sparrow made, but it apparently hasn't been used in a bit. I figured we could use this as a general group for Escapist Roleplayers and Game Masters if you're looking for a roleplaying game that is active and recruiting, or to broadcast to the roleplaying community that your roleplay is recruiting. The admins can make news announcements for the new roleplays that are recruiting so they don't get lost in the chatbox.

Just an idea. I think it would be good to have a specified area to find the roleplayers.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
TikiShades said:
Good to hear you waited. About the user group, sure, go nuts. I know the role players I want in my role plays, but it's evidently a fairly effective way of advertising.

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
I think something that generally helps is when you PM the GM of a RP that you want to play if it's already started, even if the OP doesn't demand it. I find that most GM's don't like the extra clutter from prospective joinies, during a major scene. As a courtesy to the GM and the players it just seems like a good idea.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Captainguy42 said:
I think something that generally helps is when you PM the GM of a RP that you want to play if it's already started, even if the OP doesn't demand it. I find that most GM's don't like the extra clutter from prospective joinies, during a major scene. As a courtesy to the GM and the players it just seems like a good idea.
Heh, yeah, this is one of those obvious things that comes with having common sense and courtesy. As with most things associated to these two factors, I have been amazed at how many lack it.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Higurashi said:
Captainguy42 said:
Heh, yeah, this is one of those obvious things that comes with having common sense and courtesy. As with most things associated to these two factors, I have been amazed at how many lack it.
I agree one hundred percent, I had some one post on my newest RP right in the middle of the story, it really does break the flow of things

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
It annoys me even more when they post in my thread, and say they'll PM me a sheet, and then never do. :/

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
TikiShades said:
It annoys me even more when they post in my thread, and say they'll PM me a sheet, and then never do. :/
That is annoying. That's why I maintain a PM only policy, stops all that annoyingness and keeps my thread clean

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Flickering Star said:
Good to know. Say where would some of White Wolf's games fit into? True style?
Indeed they would! I've played a couple of those, and they have all been what I would call "True RPG".