Escapist's Day Jobs

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I'm currently employed as a programmer for games. It seems I have a fairly solid theme to all aspects of my life; namely games. As work goes, it's pretty enjoyable. Hopefully I get to keep at it for some time yet.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
I think this sums up my life...

Actually...I have two jobs...while going to college...that gives me time to only play the new Super Smash Bros. every once in a while...

Anyways, I'm an AVID tutor, which is a class for kids who just need general help with their classes. It's weird, because it's back at my old High School, a place I vowed to never have anything to do with ever again...

And I work retail at a Candy Shop. I've only had to work once a week so far, but it might change eventually, then I'll have even less time to play Super Smash Bros...

The sad thing is that I've found out I've been learning more on my free-time than I have during most of my time at college...I feel like if I dropped college, I'd be some sort of superman by now...

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I'm a registered veterinary technician, or RVT. Basically, I'm like a nurse for animals (and yes, we're different from veterinarians, who are the doctors). We restrain patients, place catheters, monitor anesthesia, do various treatments, scale teeth, and generally be there to be a punching bag for vets, animals, and clients who are pissed off for whatever reason. Some may envy me for various days of the week spending time with puppies and kittens, but those same days I can also show you various bite/scratch wounds and stains of various forms of body fluid (be it blood, urine, feces, anal glands, pus, mucus, saliva, etc).

Yay for being a college graduate from one of Ontario's hardest college courses, achieving provincial registration, and earning just above minimum wage. *waves flag sarcastically*

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
I work at a fish processing facility, we mostly work with salmon and supply a lot of restaurants and food processing plants in southern Finland.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
After finishing my 3rd year of working at a summer internship in a healthcare office where my mom works, I managed to garner enough admiration from two of the supervisors and the president to where I have a stay at home-ish job where I'm pretty much a mail clerk for Documentation Services. It's nicely paying but having a real job would make up for the crude amounts of free time I have because of it.

I'm still thankful for it, seeing as it helped me have the time to focus on community college, and am only 1 1/2 months away from getting my AA in animation. So that maybe one day i'll get a dream job revolving around my actual talent and passion (along with a personal project revolved around animation I can't wait to start work on)... while enjoying my new WiiU on the side. Until that fateful day... signatures signatures signatures signatures signatures signatures signatures signatures.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
I work as a video editor for a local PBS station. I'm also a part time student at Indiana University of South Bend. Going for computer science.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Just started a job this week at Eircom. The biggest national communications network in Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work in a call centre.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
I am a glorious baker (or pâtissière when I want to get fancy). Been baking desserts my whole life, but it certainly wasn't my professional goal when I was younger. An apprenticeship kind of fell into my lap, I took it and I ran with it.

I enjoy it and it's steady work, with a polite clientele and enjoyable colleagues.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
shootthebandit said:
I fix aircraft. Not really much I can say about that. The pay is reasonable and my work load is reasonable

It sounds pretty cool but its a tedium of paperwork and office people who get paid more than you to make graphs and tell you how to do your job despite never touching an aircraft in their life, its like: them: "why havent you done x job yet?" Me: "do you know how long it takes to do X job? And thats if I had the parts I told you I needed last week and I need to do Y first to get access to X" them:"why havent you done job X yet?". Then theres the healthy and safety people who make you wear stupid hats and ensure everything is 100 times harder and uncomfortable for you

There also the problem that aircraft are poorly designed for maintenance and some jobs you can only get one finger on the component while hanging upside down

Edit: if you want to know anything about aircraft (except helicopters, they are the devils work) ill probably be able to tell you
That's funny because my grandfather worked for Bendix which the company is now owned by Honeywell. They make breaks and other parts for airplanes. He worked there for about 40+ years. Pay was pretty good, he made about 23 bucks an hour. And now he makes around 4k a month from his retirement pay. Wish I had that much luck.

He was also a jet engine mechanic during Vietnam.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Self-employed computer tech, sometimes I pick up part time menial jobs to make ends meet when business is slow. I'm not beyond working shit jobs to pay the bills, but I am seeking a new career. 15 years of cleaning PC's, upgrading PC's, fixing PC's, diagnosing PC's and dealing with user-errors that would drive impatient folks mad long long ago is enough for me. I already stopped doing network security and administration because the stress level of being "on-call" is too great compared to the pay scale in my view.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
I volunteer at a charity shop while looking for paid work.
However, I may have just gotten an IT apprenticeship, so things are certainly looking up.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Longing said:
I am a glorious baker (or pâtissière when I want to get fancy). Been baking desserts my whole life, but it certainly wasn't my professional goal when I was younger. An apprenticeship kind of fell into my lap, I took it and I ran with it.

I enjoy it and it's steady work, with a polite clientele and enjoyable colleagues.
Has anybody made the obvious joke yet or will I be the first to hint at it?

On topic, at the moment (and somewhat connected) I am an apprentice chef. Instead of getting the shitty £2 odd (say about $4) per hour, I am on min. wage, which is about £6.68 ish.

It's interesting, getting to cook all kinds of crap. It's demanding and the head chef is the typical angry head chef but can't complain too much.

I don't think I am bad at it, far from the best (my roux has the consistency of off milk ... white and lumpy!) but I do get a good number of compliments.

Oct 2, 2012
I work mostly night shift at a gas station/convenience store.
I make good money (few bucks more than minimum wage) considering I barely do any real work but its more or less a "baby's first job" thing. I was going to college to become a teacher to satisfy my family's wishes but then I remembered that I hated school and didn't want to be a teacher and dropped out.
Current plan is to schmooze my way up the ranks to become a GM of one of the stores and make a lot of money while doing even less work than I do now.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
anthony87 said:
Just started a job this week at Eircom. The biggest national communications network in Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work in a call centre.
Yeah but you work in a call centre for the people who run the phones.

Call centre extraordinaire!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
There's no English word for it that I can think of, but I work as a helper at whatever construction sites need help. Usually all we do is carry kitchens and closets from the ground outside into the correct apartments for the assemblers(English word needed here as well I think), but there are other jobs like demolition and construction site cleaning.
The job is awful, the pay is awful and my safety is non existant. If I hurt myself at work it's game over. Still, I have to be grateful about it because that's how shit is for unexperienced and uneducated workers... The guys I work with are really great though, so I got that going for me at least.

Also got a job at a transportation company where I load the light trucks with goods, drive out and unload it to the people who had bought the stuff. Inofficially I think I've been fired though. Since I caught them trying to screw me over with my paycheck for September they haven't called me in for work again. I'm not intrested in working there anymore either way. The pay is almost laughable compared to the risks we have to take and how damn tough the job is. The shifts are retarded as well. Either you work three hours on week days(always the rush hour shift) or 11+ hours/day on the weekends. You never get a schedule either. They call you the day before at best.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Man, this is an interesting thread!

I'm a Transfer Pricing and Value Chain Transformation Consultant, although to most I usually call myself a "Business Consultant".

I work with multinational corporations to advise them on the best way to structure their company and give advice/work out optimal transfer pricing for which overseas entities within the same group structure can reasonably trade with themselves. I sit in a tax department, but I don't work with tax compliance. I'm a chartered accountant, but what I do isn't accountancy. I'm in a strange position when it comes to it. Some of my better known clients are Disney, King, Sega, Anglo-American, Gazprom, Rosneft, McDonalds and HSBC.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I work at a regional supermarket as a photo/electronic clerk. So I help old people print photos and try to explain to them what mega-pixels are. It was fun at first, but the past three months have been the biggest mental strain ever. Our photo hardware went to shit and people blame us for literally everything. Hopefully, in the coming weeks I land my first corporate job and leave retail for good.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
I'm an archivist and records manager.

I'm currently working on a large digitisation project which is grand but it's not the most engaging thing I've ever been involved in.

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into more interesting projects once this one ends in the new year.
You can at least rest easy with the knowledge that what you're doing is a godsend for anyone who wants to access the documents that you're digitising, and that you're preserving (and making accessible) human knowledge for future (and current) generations. I die a little inside every time I find out I have to wade through a physical archive located half a country away to find the information I need. Heck, I die a little inside every time I find out I have to wade through a physical archive located in the same building as my workspace, because that means my elegant solution to whatever problem is at hand suddenly became too much of a timesink to be feasible. Physical archives are cozy, but they're not terribly practical when you need information en masse.

---

As for me, I'm a comptroller at a government authority (university, to be precise), although I don't do much of the financial stuff that is expected with the title. I mostly do organisational analysis and strategic intelligence.