Escapists First Jobs

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Togs said:
revjor said:
Togs said:
My first was as a "kitchen assistant" which basically translates as washing dishes and peeling spuds.

My favourite one though has to be when I picked grapes over the summer, it was hard and sweaty labour in high sun but it was satisfying and the people were great.
Your first job was "illegal Mexican immigrant"?
Say what?

The KA job was in a frighteningly middle class english gastropub.

Hahah I can tell you are English (you spelled it "favourite") I'm just playing. Here in the U.S. washing dishes and picking fruit are very stereotypical "illegal immigrant" jobs.

And...I'm actually a kitchen asst. right now. ahah

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Hmm. First job. My lord, that was first ago.

I believe my first job was as a security guard for a local embassy. It was after I did my brief first stay in the military and my criminal record was spotless, so they figured I would be a good hire.

Of course, unfortunately, it was a really boring work with brief spikes of interest - mostly when people dropped by to talk with the ambassador, or hoodlums crossed the street nearby, or a politician came by, or someone came up to ask about something - that sort of thing. There was a lot of documents you had to read and memorize before you were allowed to actually do any guarding.

Then, of course, there was the mandatory introduction to all the things you would be using, which took a week in full, but even on the first day, it was more than 2 hours of explaining what each monitor does, what this button does or how to activate and use your two-way radio properly.

Then, after the entire week was over, they gave me all the equipment I had to use on a daily basis, let me configure it for the greatest comfort and usefulness and then told me to go and sit in the gate box for the next 8 hours, waiting for any guests. We had a lot of stuff in there - monitors, magazines, lists with all the visitors who had to come by the day, a coffee maker, a box of old croissants and a few newspapers, the crosswords of which were always filled in by the time I got there.

So, yes, fun times.

Mar 30, 2010
My first job was as a shelf stacker at my local supermarket at the age of fifteen. I used to finish school, go straight to rugby practice, finish up there, have twenty minutes to wolf down dinner before heading out to do my evening shift at work. If I was lucky I'd get home around midnight, spend two hours doing homework and get six hours kip before getting up and doing it all again.

Fun times.

EDIT - ^^ Freakin' fun time ninjas!

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
revjor said:
Hahah I can tell you are English (you spelled it "favourite") I'm just playing. Here in the U.S. washing dishes and picking fruit are very stereotypical "illegal immigrant" jobs.

And...I'm actually a kitchen asst. right now. ahah
Sucks dont it?

In this country they're stereotypical jobs for unemployed honours graduates.

That and teaching of course.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
My first job was as a busboy at an INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OF PANCAKES, but they never let me up front. I hated it and i forever have something against doing dishes, but it was mind numbing manual labor. Almost therapeutic. Almost. My coworkers were pretty cool. The owner was a jerk. He decided to stop it from doing 24hours so when my entire graveyard shift team showed up at 11:00pm to start he told us that our entire shift was eliminated. He informed no one on my shift crew of this in advance.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
My first job was as a dishwasher for a local chinese establishment. Although, I make use of the title dishwasher loosely, as it referred to several functions within the kitchen.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of it, but, it was my first job, so I get the feeling that I wasn't exactly meant to enjoy the type of work they had for me. Sometimes, it felt like it was a bit exploitative, but, looking back, it really wasn't so bad.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
I worked at a gas station from when I was 13 to 18 years old. It didn't mind me at first but by the end of it, I hated it with a passion.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
My first and only job was working at a members club my mother manages. It was easy enough work, just serving drinks and collecting glasses mostly. After a year my hours dried up and they let me go. And now I'd do anything to get back there. Even kill a man.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
I'v worked in a carservice.... I've repaired mostly glasses; It was a good, although hard work :) Still I rate it very positively, because I did a lot of movement there and build up a decent amount of strength.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
my very first job was a summer job as a wash up in a hotel, it was an OK job at the time (i was 14) but compared to some of the other jobs i've had, in terms of hours and pay, it was crap

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
I worked in a pet shop for my first job. I was pretty pleased with myself for getting a job I thought I would like....working with cute critters and such....but it turns out the people who owned the shop were a family of complete and utter nut-jobs.

The cantankerous old crone mother would stand outside by the bird cages all day and smoke...which made at least 8 birds drop dead in the time I worked there (although they professed it was "wind chill").

Oh but we couldn't SAY she was smoking, because apparently she was supposed to have quit, and they brought their insane family problems to work with them. The last person who told the father about the mothers smoking got fired.

Then there was the father, he professed scooping fish out of a tank to be an "art form" even while retrieving a heavy box from a high shelf whilst gripping a squealing budgie in his hand. And hitting on one of the female employees.

There was no hot water, I had to boil a kettle to mop the floors, the puppies exercise pen was a fucking mess until I cleaned it, and general everything about the place was a dodgy, unfit for business mess.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
McDonald's - I enjoyed the job. I assumed working would be far more difficult and stressful than it actually was in reality. I felt as though I was making good money for very little work.

As it turns out, McDonald's to this day had by far the best management system I've ever seen in a workplace. You can get answers to your questions, support is there when you need it. You can chit chat with your fellow co-workers and actually have fun while working. They enable job rotations so you don't do one repetitive task the whole day until you want to kill yourself.

If only higher paying jobs worked like that...sadly, none that I have had even come close.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
My first (and as it happens, current job) was cleaning offices, kitchens and toilets in a water treatment facility. I did this for a few months in the summver of 04/05 so I could afford to pay for my college fee. Then about a year or so later I returned to pay for my next college course. I started working full time for a few months before I had to switch to part time to fit it around my college studies.

Honestly, it was a nightmare. Going to college for 9AM, having to starve throughout the day because I couldn't afford food the majority of the time, no-where to go besides the town which gets boring after a while before finishing at 4/5PM, waiting for a fucking bus (sick of buses!) to take near to work work for 2 and a half hours and then walk home and get home at 8PM and have dinner and then do coursework. Rinse and repeat. I'm glad those days are over.

I'm still working there now. This job has got me through College and University, and it's paying for my top-up degree so I can't complain.

My university won't allow/accept any student finance support I ask for so I have to rely on the £274.74 a month I earn to pay for it :/

Jollygreen326

Jul 27, 2010
I was a scarer at Fright Fest at the Six Flags in Gurnee Illinois. I dressed up as Jason from the Friday the 13th movies and scared people as they came through the haunted house. Unfortunately the room I was in was a bit dangerous and i got pretty bruised up doing it but scaring people was hilarious. I had to take off my glasses to wear the mask and so it was pretty disorienting in the strobe, sound, and heat. Everything else aside it was a blast.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
My first real, paying job was as a Literacy Tutor. Basically, I'd sit in a classroom with a class of Kindergarten-Grade 2's, and help them learn to read. One on one, I'd do stuff like read to them, hold flash cards to teach them the alphabet, and occasionally help them with math. I got $11/hour, but I only got to work a total of 100 hours over the span of 5 or so months before I exceeded the budget that the school board had for literacy tutors.

It wasn't a bad job. Sure, it got a little annoying when multiple people were impatiently waiting for help when I was already in the middle of helping another kid, but overall, they were well-behaved. No one was rude to me or caused me any serious problems. They even wrote a Thank You card to me on my last day, and they got together as a class and one by one, each of them mentioned one thing that they learned with my help. Needless to say, I'm keeping that card for the rest of my life.

On a side note, being a college student in an elementary school made me feel OLD.

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
I still work at my first job, which is a shoe shop in the town where I live. I get 6 euros an hour so it's a pretty good one. It's the only reason I'm well-off among my my friends. I will say though, there is nothing more irritating than having to go up and down the stairs about twenty times getting shoes for someone who in the end doesn't buy the fucking things.