ESRB Defends Dead Island Logo Decision

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
I quite prefer the new logo, I don't really see why they used a hanging body in the first one, I mean what does it mean in relation to the game? To communicate the excesses of the survivors in killing suspected infectees? Or what? The new one at least tells you that it's about zombies.

Also, where the heck was the rope hanging from? Palm trees for the most part don't have proper branches, the leaves just sort of stick out of the trunk, and are pretty damn flexible. Something as heavy as a human body would have made the leaf/frond sag down until the body hit the trunk.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
I contest not their decision. Unlike many places, the ESRB is actually very good about grading and making sure games follow the guidelines set for them without stepping on everybody's toes.

They've proven a few times not be be victims of the videogame hate that a lot of people in the country have, just look at them actually letting Duke Nukem' off with an M.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Seems like a fair enough request. This kind of thing is similar to magazines in grocery stores. They cant put a pair of tig ole bitties on their cover, b/c it may be seen by kids or easily offended people. Inside their magazine, they are free to put in what they want.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
BENZOOKA said:
...gone mad. Sigh.

Let's deal with this outrageous disgusting profanity next:
http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20100405/Hangman-Help-1503719.jpg

I mean, someone might get seriously offended, even internally injured.
^This. That logo is so incredibly unoffensive, I've seen a billion times worse cover for a book/movie/etc.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Yep the ESRB has gotton way more strict over the years. For example.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
This makes me sad. A man can't be shown hanging from a tree in a silhouette yet sex shops can have huge ads all over the Montreal metro system.

I'm pretty sure those ads have warped and messed up way more young girls and boys then the box art of a game could.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Adzma said:
For the land of the free, you guys sure do have some odd fine print when it comes to these things.
anyone who believes this to be the land of the free is sorely mistaken. i call it the land of the privileged.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As I said before
It would be as bad as a Zombie silhouette being guillotined in France, nailbombed or carchased in a tunnel in England, kneecapped in Ireland, or having it's hands amputated in Arabia.

Certain things don't sit well with certain cultures because of their past. Having a "shadow" man hanging from a tree doesn't work well in America. Don't make me have to spell it out why. (KKK)
People tend to not think of the big picture or on a grand, cultural scale. It's as if *gasp* the world is a bigger place than just their country, as if it has history behind it.

You, sir, always make me smile when we think of the same things.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
It's an understandable move. Box art is public. People who don't play your game--or who may be looking for reasons to hate your game--will see it. The game itself? Only paying customers. Box art and marketing are different matters.

The box art is only being changed for the North America release. With apologies to Canada, most of those boxes are going to the US, which is the place where this iconography could cause undue fuss.

Now, I think that we could, as a country, get over the idea that anyone hanging from anything ever must be about racism. But that's another discussion for another thread.

pandasaw

Mar 18, 2011
uguito-93 said:
"Oooooo the fact that the I is not a hanging zombie on the boxart ruined the game for me"
The box art does not indicate the person hanging from the tree is a zombie.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I don't get what's the problem? Do some people really want more of the nonsense how games are violent and "attacking the children" with gore images? The change does not influence the game itself at all and the less controversy from the "concerned parents" the better for everyone involved.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Honestly the ESRB is doing them a favor in the PR department. :p

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Sounds reasonable enough to me. It's kinda like meeting each other halfway. I think censorship in pretty much any way is stupid but in this case I can understand why people might find it distasteful and at least they are working with us and trying to make everyone happy. Instead of the usual media shouting gaming gets. Plus why is a zombie/dead dude hanging from a tree, if only to make him an I?

I just wish they made this call on the C&C games because I don't want to look like a sex pest when I am buying my damn games!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Adzma said:
For the land of the free, you guys sure do have some odd fine print when it comes to these things.
Just means folks are free to choose whether or not their kids see a man hanging from a tree. If it's in the game, there's a choice. If it's on the box, at eye level in a game store frequented by children, there isn't.

Also, because this is a pretty damn free country, folks have free choice over where they buy their games. A retailer may decide that having a hanging man on a box on the shelf may drive away customers... so instead, they choose not to sell the game at all. Well, to combat that, the company makes a slight alteration to the box art. Sounds like a lot of people exercising perfectly reasonable freedoms, there. No one was forced to do anything (note that the ESRB asked for the change).

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
Well I know people here love to complain about censorship and all this, but it's a fair and justified complaint. The trick is not to use lynching as a marketing tool; a lot of people are actually anti-lynching. Even in this day and age! I know! Fuss, fuss, fuss.

Aside from that, it doesn't seem to have any direct relation to the content of the game. Who's hanging who from trees? Why would either the zombies or the survivors be hanging people from trees? It's just an offensive image that doesn't appear to make any sense in context.

That said, maybe the game is about zombie lynch mobs. That would certainly get some attention-sales.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Good decision, having that sort of content out in the public eye for literally anyone to see is a no-no and rightfully so.

Interesting the number of people who are bagging America because of this, I'm almost certain other countries will have this edited too.

And those bringing up other examples of graphic box art: Those shouldn't have been allowed either, the mere fact that they slipped through doesn't mean that the standard should change.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Lono Shrugged said:
I just wish they made this call on the C&C games because I don't want to look like a sex pest when I am buying my damn games!

Kane: "I'm to sexy for my shirt."
lmao

Also, yeah, I kinda do agree that censoring the logo is a little silly. By allowing them to do this, it's almost like we're stepping another inch towards the bottom of the grave. It may not mean much now, but it's going to make them even more stingy on the next one, which is going to make them even more stingy on the one after that.