ESRB Defends Dead Island Logo Decision

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Tanks to arrest a person, ridiculous freedom of speech, mum injecting botox to her child, 9\11 qqing about a pokemon game and now this in just few days. America is fucked.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
You know what, I agree. There's a limit to what kind of visuals you can put on public display. The line's gotta be drawn somewhere.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Soylent Bacon said:
Not like it's necessary anyway.

Fappy said:
Honestly the ESRB is doing them a favor in the PR department. :p
Agreed. I can imagine the outrage of not only the easily offended parents whose children would have walked into the store and seen that uncensored, but the backlash from people who were deeply hurt by the suicide of a loved one, and would have felt that such an image was extremely disrespectful.

...and I just noticed your username and picture, you creepy, creepy man.
I'm only as creep as you want me to be >:3

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
VanityGirl said:
ObsessiveSketch said:
And, once again, America decides to mess with box art.
I can't wait to see what Australia will do....
Probably reaplce it with a silouette of a man dancing the conga, with a happy family behind. Either that or the game gets banned all together...

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Ahh.....AMERICA!! The Land of free artistic expression!

[takes off sarcasm hat]
But I thought games weren't art.

Also: IB4 people making big stink about nothing. Wait...

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I'd say it's pretty reasonable. Yes, the game is directed to adults, but the game is being sold in public on shelves, possibly next to some children's game. Considering ESRB specifically mentioned the logo can stay for in-game, they really are considering if it's okay for people under a certain age to see box art like this. Which for people who are possibly ten or nine, I'd say with certainty no. It's really just needless and does not affect the actual game at all.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
Not like it's necessary anyway.

Fappy said:
Honestly the ESRB is doing them a favor in the PR department. :p
Agreed. I can imagine the outrage of not only the easily offended parents whose children would have walked into the store and seen that uncensored, but the backlash from people who were deeply hurt by the suicide of a loved one, and would have felt that such an image was extremely disrespectful.

...and I just noticed your username and picture, you creepy, creepy man.
I'm 700% sure suicide has nothing to do with this decision.
But this is the Escapist. The most obvious answer is typically very strenuously ignored anyway, so I don't fault you.

(Incidentally, I see this thread is *sigh* yet another excuse for a bunch of spoiled European kids to whine about America using vague, catchphrase-y arguments they bought at the local antique shop at a discount. But naturally, if you dare make someone from another nation feel bad, even if you don't mention or imply a specific country, you will get in trouble.)

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Its not a big deal. I'm personally not a censor. But I'm also aware that I'm a part of the smaller demographic in this argument and that concessions are going be made regardless. In essence though its a cosmetic change to the games box art that does not effect gameplay that conforms to pre set standards in the industry. Seems dumb, but seems fair too. Instead of getting mad at the ESRB, we could lobby to have those standards change, or have them evolve. Until then, its probably best we don't make this harder for the devs and the guys at the ESRB than it already is by griping at them about what in their case is a distinct non-issue.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As I said before
It would be as bad as a Zombie silhouette being guillotined in France, nailbombed or carchased in a tunnel in England, kneecapped in Ireland, or having it's hands amputated in Arabia.

Certain things don't sit well with certain cultures because of their past. Having a "shadow" man hanging from a tree doesn't work well in America. Don't make me have to spell it out why. (KKK)
Aaaand now my opinion has been changed. Never thought of it that way, very astute observation I say.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I'd like to get on my high horse on this issue, however unfortunately I can't. There has been occasions of this sort of thing happening in the UK. For example:

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
As I said before
It would be as bad as a Zombie silhouette being guillotined in France, nailbombed or carchased in a tunnel in England, kneecapped in Ireland, or having it's hands amputated in Arabia.

Certain things don't sit well with certain cultures because of their past. Having a "shadow" man hanging from a tree doesn't work well in America. Don't make me have to spell it out why. (KKK)
And how does that justify censoring the art when the game will--probably--receive a M rating?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Honestly this really makes sense. I mean, if they censored it in game, in an M rated game, that would have been stupid. But they didn't. The thing is, while they might claim that only adults will play the game, it's almost certain that children will at least see the box at the store, whether they planned on buying it or not. Some parents would be unhappy with it. This makes perfect sense and it's silly to disagree.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Jumplion said:
As I said before

People tend to not think of the big picture or on a grand, cultural scale. It's as if *gasp* the world is a bigger place than just their country, as if it has history behind it.

You, sir, always make me smile when we think of the same things.

You sirs speak the truth. It's a shame that so many Americans are ignorant of their own country's history.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
Zac Smith said:
Dead Space has a cut off arm floating in space. People didn't seem to complain then
Or even better, the indigo prophecy box art. That shows a man holding a knife while it appears that he cut himself with words like "Guilt" or "Fear" written in blood behind him.

That seems more graphic then a silhouette of a zombie that's hung itself.

Are you American? Are you familiar with American history? Check out the Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's. When black people were chased down, beaten, had dogs sicked on them for wanting the rights they're entitled to under the Constitution. And the worst of all was the flagrant and outright murder of black people in the southern states, often with the consent or help of the local law enforcement. And the most iconic of these killing were the LYNCHINGS. Don't know what that means?

"Lynching is an extrajudicial execution carried out by a mob, often by hanging, but also by burning at the stake or shooting, in order to punish an alleged transgressor, or to intimidate, control, or otherwise manipulate a population of people, however large or small."

Do you understand now why the silhouette of a HANGED MAN might just be incredibly offensive to a good chunk of the American population, and could easily be taken out of context and turned into a media shit storm by people with a misguided agenda?

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
Adzma said:
For the land of the free, you guys sure do have some odd fine print when it comes to these things.
we have freedom as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others and i think its fair to say that my grandma has the right to go buy lego batman for my ten year old cousin without having to look at a bunch of pictures of mangled corpses.

Just because we've become desensitized to that kind of stuff doesn't mean everyone has.