ESRB Defends Dead Island Logo Decision

Aug 1, 2010
Jumplion said:
Super Snip
They are still bloody and mature themed. And if you want another good one, check out the cover for Indigo Prophecy.

If the silhouette was black, they symbolism would have some broken, under-hanged, shaky ground to stand on, but as it is, this is just another example of ESRB being stupid. People have been hanged like crazy. Censoring any image of it is not going to make that go away.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
TestECull said:
Yes, I would. I'm offended by those slurs just the same but that doesn't mean other people have to bend over backwards for my sake. I can ignore such things.
Yes I would what? Just some clarification, I asked a question with two scenarios.

It doesn't change what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that people need to just ignore things that they find offensive. A game developer shouldn't have to censor their box art because someone got offended by a zombie in a noose.
But nobody has gotten offended yet. It's just Deep Silver being considerate of other's, for lack of a "manlier" word, feelings. This whole debate kind of reminds me of this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2783-Correctitude], but take it how you will.

...So? Big fucking deal. As I said, they can just ignore the box art. Nobody is forcing them to look at it.
It's out there, it's on public display, that is my main point. To put another extreme example,

Besides, what about all the other offensive shit on public display? I could go into any shopping center in this country and point out at least five displays in every decently large store that is more offensive than Dead Island's box art could ever hope to be. Why the double standard here? Why not tell Victoria's Secret to throw some damn clothes on their advertisement models? Why not tell Chevy to stop depicting their CTS-V and Corvettes hauling ass? How about we censor every christmas compilation in the audio aisle because some people find christmas offensive?
Because Victoria's Secret ads are presented in specific places appropriate to their demographic.
Uh, Chevy and hauling ass? As in super-model ass or an ass of a workload? You'll have to elaborate on that.
Who find's Christmas offensive?

If you're going to put out comparisons, put some more relevant ones. I'm not afraid to back down on my point so long as the other one is presented well.

I'd buy a game by a dev that did this out of principle alone.
Many would not. Most wouldn't make a fuss over a slight, minor detail of a logo being changed.

Then why didn't they change the logo in game too?
Because the logo in the game is in the game, where someone would have had to buy it already knowing its contents.

I don't think either of use are going to "get" the other person's stance, so agree to disagree I suppose.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
MrDeckard said:
Jumplion said:
Super Snip
They are still bloody and mature themed. And if you want another good one, check out the cover for Indigo Prophecy.

If the silhouette was black, they symbolism would have some broken, under-hanged, shaky ground to stand on, but as it is, this is just another example of ESRB being stupid. People have been hanged like crazy. Censoring any image of it is not going to make that go away.
Hell, even if the silhouette was black I doubt people would understand the potential hidden meaning behind it. I just think that it's such a minor alteration that it shouldn't even require a news post and that Deep Silver are just doing standard CYA.

EDIT: Ah, and just to point out, as far as I can see with the boxart to Indigo Prophecy, there's nothing really negatively symbolic about it. It has some buzz words, like "murder" and "fear" and whatnot, but it's not like it could be associated with lynchings and whatnot like how this boxart is.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Giest4life said:
lord.jeff said:
Giest4life said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As I said before
It would be as bad as a Zombie silhouette being guillotined in France, nailbombed or carchased in a tunnel in England, kneecapped in Ireland, or having it's hands amputated in Arabia.

Certain things don't sit well with certain cultures because of their past. Having a "shadow" man hanging from a tree doesn't work well in America. Don't make me have to spell it out why. (KKK)
And how does that justify censoring the art when the game will--probably--receive a M rating?
Because the content in the game is rated M, the box art isn't, thats on public display and will be seen by all. I believe box art should be an image that wold fall within the E rating, because gamestops have six year olds and easily offended parents in them and it would just makes things easier if we don't piss them off, plus at least in this regard we shouldn't have to piss them off.
What of the Victoria's Secret Banners displayed in the mall? What of the "Learn to have Better Sex" books displayed on shelves at Barnes & Noble? Face it, there is a hypocrisy when it comes to video games. And that's fine--I just want it to be acknowledged.
I'll agree but I like the higher ground that games are taking here.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
I cannot help but thinking, "Being offended is such a subjective thing." I mean I'm offended by boy bands but you don't see me standing on a soapbox with a bullhorn to my lips railing against them. And just what will being offended do to someone anyway? Will they be maimed, killed, or physically hurt? When did the phrase: 'Stick and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me' stop being relevant? After all if someone calls you an insulting name you just insult them right back. I guess all of this seems like a bunch of double standards and BS to me.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Well all that sounds fine with me. After all it's only a little change, and only on the box art. It makes sense how they say that everyone can see that, and I guess some parents would have a hard time explaining the concept of suicide by hanging nicely to their kids.

Seems reasonable.

Aug 1, 2010
Jumplion said:
MrDeckard said:
Jumplion said:
Super Snip

Hell, even if the silhouette was black I doubt people would understand the potential hidden meaning behind it. I just think that it's such a minor alteration that it shouldn't even require a news post and that Deep Silver are just doing standard CYA.

EDIT: Ah, and just to point out, as far as I can see with the boxart to Indigo Prophecy, there's nothing really negatively symbolic about it. It has some buzz words, like "murder" and "fear" and whatnot, but it's not like it could be associated with lynchings and whatnot like how this boxart is.
In terms of Indigo and the others, I was more responding to the violence aspect, not the lynching.

Otherwise, we'll see how the game turns out. If it's just another zombie hack and slash, the censorship will mean nothing. If it is deep and emotional like the trailer, then the censorship will detract from the emotional power.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I was already on the fence about buying the game or not and now I know for sure, I'm not going to. I'm sick of our box art getting changed or censored for the worse. NO MORE CENSORING.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
EvolutionKills said:
The thing for your analogy to work however, would be for Hanging to be used solely on black people, it was a common execution method though used on various criminals and others, I mean at this point I'm starting to think your trolling, in no way, whatsoever can this be considered a racist symbol unless you go beyond even Glenn Beck conspiracy levels, you said lynching involved people being shot also, the modern warfare and black ops cover art has, EGHAST! GUNS ON THEM! Not to mention when it comes to black ops, it even has the word "black" on it! Look at Dead to rights retribution, it has a police officer and a cop! Couldn't that be interpreted as a hate symbol also? No offense, but this argument of yours holds virtually no water.

What it comes down to, is that I can epmathize with other people's view points. I can even understand yours, as much as I might disagree with it. You however seem to lack the ability to conceive that anybody could at all be offended, and dismiss out of hand the reasons of those who could be. If there is a troll to be found here, it is you sir.

Scottieburke

Apr 3, 2010
This is the third instance of cover changes I've seen in as many days. I was originally going to defend the action, there is some morality behind what they're doing. But, shit, is it really necessary?

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
I actually stand with this one. It makes sense not to show someone hanging in the picture where anyone will walk by it in the store.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
SirCannonFodder said:
I quite prefer the new logo, I don't really see why they used a hanging body in the first one, I mean what does it mean in relation to the game? To communicate the excesses of the survivors in killing suspected infectees? Or what? The new one at least tells you that it's about zombies.

Also, where the heck was the rope hanging from? Palm trees for the most part don't have proper branches, the leaves just sort of stick out of the trunk, and are pretty damn flexible. Something as heavy as a human body would have made the leaf/frond sag down until the body hit the trunk.
It had a grimmer look that's more easily associated with Dead Island after that infamous, emotionally scarring trailer they released.

With the silhouette of just another zombie shambling about it could be anything: a ridiculous joke zombie game like Dead Rising, even.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I am going to make the word Dead Island the next time I play Hangman!

I feel that this is relatively stupid but they're following the rules so for that I agree with.
EDIT:Aaah the History. Perhaps ESRB should have stated that instead to show a far more reasonable reason.
[sub]Maybe not far more but from a different and strong angle.[/sub]

Delusibeta said:
Now that just creeps the fuck out of me! It looks like the zombie hand is making air quotes!

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I don't see what the big deal is, even if the original box art DIDN'T break the rules, the change is so insignificant I don't understand how it even warrents a mention.

Eri said:
I was already on the fence about buying the game or not and now I know for sure, I'm not going to. I'm sick of our box art getting changed or censored for the worse. NO MORE CENSORING.
So let me get this straight, you are refusing to buy a video game because they changed the box art, (box art that, if left unchanged, would have broken industry guidelines and which could have led to the game not getting sold in some places altogether)? That is perhaps the stupidest reason given for any action taken by a human being I have ever heard in my life.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Uhm.

Who cares?

Does it affect gameplay? Does it change the game? will it ruin anyones enjoyment of said game?

Heck, will anyone even look at it for more than the requited 15 seconds or so?

Who Cares? Just be happy they arent removing all the gore or something. Again.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
kickyourass said:
I don't see what the big deal is, even if the original box art DIDN'T break the rules, the change is so insignificant I don't understand how it even warrents a mention.

Eri said:
So let me get this straight, you are refusing to buy a video game because they changed the box art, (box art that, if left unchanged, would have broken industry guidelines and which could have led to the game not getting sold in some places altogether)? That is perhaps the stupidest reason given for any action taken by a human being I have ever heard in my life.
Broken industry guidelines? Game not being sold? And you called my reasoning stupid, this would never happen. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything fear mongers say.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Eri said:
kickyourass said:

Eri said:
Broken industry guidelines? Game not being sold? And you called my reasoning stupid, this would never happen. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything fear mongers say.
The article said, and I quote
The hanging zombie on the original Dead Island broke the videogame industry's marketing guidelines, says ratings board
I don't know how things work in your little corner of the world, but in mine, when someone's product breaks industry guidelines that product tends not to get sold.

And yes I do think your reasoning is stupid, not buying a game because the LOGO got changed in perhaps the tiniest way possible, is a stupid reason. It's like refusing to buy a cd because the order of the songs got changed.