ESRB Defends Dead Island Logo Decision

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
kickyourass said:
Eri said:
kickyourass said:
I don't see what the big deal is, even if the original box art DIDN'T break the rules, the change is so insignificant I don't understand how it even warrents a mention.

Eri said:
I was already on the fence about buying the game or not and now I know for sure, I'm not going to. I'm sick of our box art getting changed or censored for the worse. NO MORE CENSORING.
So let me get this straight, you are refusing to buy a video game because they changed the box art, (box art that, if left unchanged, would have broken industry guidelines and which could have led to the game not getting sold in some places altogether)? That is perhaps the stupidest reason given for any action taken by a human being I have ever heard in my life.
Broken industry guidelines? Game not being sold? And you called my reasoning stupid, this would never happen. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything fear mongers say.
The article said, and I quote
The hanging zombie on the original Dead Island broke the videogame industry's marketing guidelines, says ratings board
I don't know how things work in your little corner of the world, but in mine, when someone's product breaks industry guidelines that product tends not to get sold.

And yes I do think your reasoning is stupid, not buying a game because the LOGO got changed in perhaps the tiniest way possible, is a stupid reason. It's like refusing to buy a cd because the order of the songs got changed.
I don't know how things work in YOUR country, but I'm tired of us constantly getting the worst boxart they have to offer. It's always edited or changed in someway, and the only way to vote is with your wallet. Sure, my one sale won't be missed, but even a few people can add up. And there's little else in the way of making how you feel known, than by not buying it.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Eri said:
kickyourass said:
Eri said:
kickyourass said:
I don't see what the big deal is, even if the original box art DIDN'T break the rules, the change is so insignificant I don't understand how it even warrents a mention.

Eri said:
I was already on the fence about buying the game or not and now I know for sure, I'm not going to. I'm sick of our box art getting changed or censored for the worse. NO MORE CENSORING.
So let me get this straight, you are refusing to buy a video game because they changed the box art, (box art that, if left unchanged, would have broken industry guidelines and which could have led to the game not getting sold in some places altogether)? That is perhaps the stupidest reason given for any action taken by a human being I have ever heard in my life.
Broken industry guidelines? Game not being sold? And you called my reasoning stupid, this would never happen. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything fear mongers say.
The hanging zombie on the original Dead Island broke the videogame industry's marketing guidelines, says ratings board
I don't know how things work in your little corner of the world, but in mine, when someone's product breaks industry guidelines that product tends not to get sold.

And yes I do think your reasoning is stupid, not buying a game because the LOGO got changed in perhaps the tiniest way possible, is a stupid reason. It's like refusing to buy a cd because the order of the songs got changed.
I don't know how things work in YOUR country, but I'm tired of us constantly getting the worst boxart they have to offer. It's always edited or changed in someway, and the only way to vote is with your wallet. Sure, my one sale won't be missed, but even a few people can add up. And there's little else in the way of making how you feel known, than by not buying it.
The worst boxart they have to offer, are you serious? They've changed the closest thing to nothing they could get away with, and that makes it the worst they have to offer? Wow, you know, I want to take what I said back, you're not stupid, you just have a terrible sense of perspective.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
kickyourass said:
Eri said:
kickyourass said:
Eri said:
kickyourass said:

Eri said:

The worst boxart they have to offer, are you serious? They've changed the closest thing to nothing they could get away with, and that makes it the worst they have to offer? Wow, you know, I want to take what I said back, you're not stupid, you just have a terrible sense of perspective.
Stop being purposely dense. Even in the olympics you can be the worst of the best. There's always a worst. So YES, I'm tired of us getting the WORST boxart. Maybe you should get some perspective, especially before you get slapped with a probation for insulting other users.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Eri said:
kickyourass said:
Eri said:
kickyourass said:
Eri said:
kickyourass said:

Eri said:

Stop being purposely dense. Even in the olympics you can be the worst of the best. There's always a worst. So YES, I'm tired of us getting the WORST boxart. Maybe you should get some perspective, especially before you get slapped with a probation for insulting other users.
I love how you warned me about getting probation for insulting others directly after you insulted me yourself. I will be stopping since this is going exactly nowhere. Let me just end by saying I find it kinda ironic that they changed the logo so that they could legally sell and advertise it in some places, and you're refusing to buy it BECAUSE they changed the logo.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm kinda on the fence here, on one hand, as box art, it's going to be seen by non gamers, and an image of a hanged man could upset those affected by suicide I guess. However, on the other hand, I've seen far far worse in terms of horror movie posters on the sides of buses and the like, and I'd still like to see some fairness in how games are treated compared with movies, so I'm going to have to go with... no.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Why is no one asking the real question? How did a zombie hang itself?
The guy probably knew he was going to turn. Or was this a rhetorical question?

OT: People need to stop being so damn offended at everything. But I do understand why they should change it, its better for sales.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
EvolutionKills said:
Are you American? Are you familiar with American history? Check out the Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's. When black people were chased down, beaten, had dogs sicked on them for wanting the rights they're entitled to under the Constitution. And the worst of all was the flagrant and outright murder of black people in the southern states, often with the consent or help of the local law enforcement. And the most iconic of these killing were the LYNCHINGS. Don't know what that means?

"Lynching is an extrajudicial execution carried out by a mob, often by hanging, but also by burning at the stake or shooting, in order to punish an alleged transgressor, or to intimidate, control, or otherwise manipulate a population of people, however large or small."

Do you understand now why the silhouette of a HANGED MAN might just be incredibly offensive to a good chunk of the American population, and could easily be taken out of context and turned into a media shit storm by people with a misguided agenda?
Of course, because America is the only country that has ever had a prevalent problem with anything like racism and mob rule, excuse this humble foreigner for being so blind and oblivious to what is obviously a touchy issue.

Never mind the fact that England also used hanging as a method of execution not too long ago, we've also had incidents of riots in the recent past. Also, I can call out games like Left 4 Dead as being a sad reminder of incidents like the Belfast riot of 1969 (zombie outbreaks always seem to be weirdly simmilar to violent riots). Then let's not forget the fact that I'm sure that the Germans are tired of the large number of games that use Nazi's as an immediate short hand for 'it's ok to kill these guys without remorse' and the Russians who are sick of every game now being about how the US has got the military version of blue balls with them as a result of the Cold War.

Failing that, given the brutal history of cruelty and oppression by the British Empire you'd figure that we'd feel somewhat awkward and uncomfortable about a game where the protaganist enters a foreign (presumeably Middle Eastern or Asian) reigon and starts localised ethnic cleansing for great justice (yet games like Modern Warfare and Battlefield are just as popular over here as they are in the US).

I'm not American but I'm familiar with a wide range of historical events and I can safely say that anyone who starts a fuss over this is the sort of person who nit picks everything just looking for something to whine about.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eri said:
Is it bad that I read your whole argument with kickyourass in the voice of FlutterShy?

MrDeckard said:
In terms of Indigo and the others, I was more responding to the violence aspect, not the lynching.

Otherwise, we'll see how the game turns out. If it's just another zombie hack and slash, the censorship will mean nothing. If it is deep and emotional like the trailer, then the censorship will detract from the emotional power.[/quote]

I swear if it's another zombie hack and slasher...

The recent interview, and this article [http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1153496p1.html] don't give me much hope. I already posted my opinion on the other thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.272491-Producer-Says-Dead-Island-is-More-Borderlands-than-Heavy-Rain], so yeah.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Wouldn't it make more sense if the person was in fact a human committing suicide? Living on an island covered in zombies would suck and seeing how guns wouldn't be in a overabundant supply... Hanging is a common way out. Why would a zombie be in a tree (unless it was a trap but how many traps have you seen that lynches the target?). I still don't see the problem though. Its just a silhouette.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As I said before
It would be as bad as a Zombie silhouette being guillotined in France, nailbombed or carchased in a tunnel in England, kneecapped in Ireland, or having it's hands amputated in Arabia.

Certain things don't sit well with certain cultures because of their past. Having a "shadow" man hanging from a tree doesn't work well in America. Don't make me have to spell it out why. (KKK)
I'm from the south, where most people haven't quite moved on yet, or have become so sorry about their ancestors that they've practically renounced all claim of being related to them, and the logo never bothered me. I would have less trouble believing they did it because of kids than to avoid any KKK reminders. Still, I guess this is a taste of what Australia was getting for forever. I can see why they did it, but I don't necessarily like it, lol.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Giest4life said:
lord.jeff said:
Giest4life said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As I said before
It would be as bad as a Zombie silhouette being guillotined in France, nailbombed or carchased in a tunnel in England, kneecapped in Ireland, or having it's hands amputated in Arabia.

Certain things don't sit well with certain cultures because of their past. Having a "shadow" man hanging from a tree doesn't work well in America. Don't make me have to spell it out why. (KKK)
And how does that justify censoring the art when the game will--probably--receive a M rating?
Because the content in the game is rated M, the box art isn't, thats on public display and will be seen by all. I believe box art should be an image that wold fall within the E rating, because gamestops have six year olds and easily offended parents in them and it would just makes things easier if we don't piss them off, plus at least in this regard we shouldn't have to piss them off.

What of the Victoria's Secret Banners displayed in the mall? What of the "Learn to have Better Sex" books displayed on shelves at Barnes & Noble? Face it, there is a hypocrisy when it comes to video games. And that's fine--I just want it to be acknowledged.
I'll agree but I like the higher ground that games are taking here.

Then here lies our fundamental disagreement: I do not agree that it is the higher ground. I do not agree even if there were a high ground, that it should be taken. To each his own, however.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I'm fine with this. Marketing, like a logo, is seen by everyone. If we just disregarded it we would have to throw out the whole ratings bored all together. It would have been a bad marketing idea to go along with this logo anyways. That logo is just bad marketing in the first place, if I was on their marketing department I'd say to change it in the game too, you don't want offensive imagery with the symbol that is meant to most quickly identify your product, and making two logos lowers brand recognition. Its just not a very good logo.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Why don't they just make them change the title of the game to "Left 4 Condemned"
there aren't any I's in that and it's a much more accurate title.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
BENZOOKA said:
...gone mad. Sigh.

Let's deal with this outrageous disgusting profanity next:
http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20100405/Hangman-Help-1503719.jpg

I mean, someone might get seriously offended, even internally injured.
You know how many people have been hanged on limb at a time by grammar nazis for impropper spelling?

You shouldn't post stuff like that, it's so offensive, and it might encourage all the gramamr nazis who reside here to give a hefty ass-whooping with encyclodedias (the really old heavy ones) to those not who haven't perfected written english.

As for the article, while i find it supprizing that people are so easily offended, i do understand that the company doesn't want a shit-storm straight in the face, because of said people.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Oh no! Something that barely resembles a human is dangling from a coconut tree! Someone call the ESRB! IT'S BOXART THAT IS ONLY MODERATELY BAD! IT MUST BE PURE SHIT BOX ART TO BE RELEASED IN AMERICA!
...sorry. I can only draw my opinion on what is intimidating or not from my opinion, and in my opinion nothing short of someone actually physically threatening me is intimidating. It'd be hard to survive as a doctor when you're afraid of DRAWINGS.