EU says it's illegal for children to blow up balloons

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
I'm not one for drawn out paragraphs so I'll be brief.

The EU has passed a law banning children under the age of 8 to blow up balloons without supervision in case they choke. They also placed an identical law for under-14s using party blowers. Apparently toys which infants have used happily for decades now pose an "unacceptable" risk *shrug*

We have an entire continent in economic collapse and our leaders are worried about balloons?! Do we have children in charge of our countries?

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
GWarface said:
Any source on this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8816601/Children-to-be-banned-from-blowing-up-balloons-under-EU-safety-rules.html

See if that works

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Children of the revolution. It will happen. No one will give two shits about this law anyway. Who is going to report me if I ever let my children blow up balloons before they turn 8? The fucking Party Police?

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
This shit doesnt really suprise me any longer..

I dont know what to say other than it makes me sad..
And even more sad because most people couldnt care less about cheap fear tactics being used to dictate their lives..

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
A prime example of idiotic, time-wasting beaurocracy. In other words: I'd love to see them try to enforce it.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I've tried my hardest not to be a Euro-skeptic and I am in no way prejudiced towards other Europeans, but if I see one more example of the EU wasting time and money bossing us around over pointless things like this rather than actually solving real problems I may well join UKIP. Surely an organisation that operates above the authority of our own government telling us how we should and shouldn't look after our children is the sort of thing we should have a referendum on.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
It says there has to be a warning on balloons about their 'unsuitability' for under-8s. As far as I'm aware, that amounts to little more than the 0-3 crossed out with a sad looking baby's face that features on a large number of items on sale in the UK anyway. This is hysterical misinterpretation at its finest. Bear in mind this is the Telegraph, one of the most right-wing, Eurosceptic newspapers out there. They only need the slightest provocation to start spouting nonsense like 'EU busybodies now demand milk to be served in clogs!'. The actual report is probably nowhere near as radical as the Telegraph would like to think it is.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
the EU needs dismantaling.
its a rubbish idea and was never going to work, i feel sorry for france and germany for constantly having to bail out the smaller member states.

the uk needs to leave the union asap!

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
If they're without superivison...who do they arrest? Arrest someone for leaving their less than eight year old unattended, not unattended with a balloon.

Also, how does authority keep an eye on this?

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Guys, the source is the Daily Telegraph ie biased as fuck. I'm taking this with a grain of salt the size of the fucking Pacific.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
PunchedBarbecue said:
GWarface said:
Any source on this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8816601/Children-to-be-banned-from-blowing-up-balloons-under-EU-safety-rules.html

See if that works
The Telegraph? Seriously?

The Telegraph and the EU is what Fox News is to Obama. I wouldn't believe a word it says about the Union.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
No one is banning England shirts you gullible xenopho- wait, which was is this?

Oh, right. Yeah; whatever. Sure. Got a source that doesn't officially align itself with a political party? or at least not with Euro-Skepticism?
PunchedBarbecue said:
We have an entire continent in economic collapse and our leaders are worried about balloons?! Do we have children in charge of our countries?
Someone has to? Or do we just go "AHH! The Euro is dropping! Go into Chaos Mode! No Unnecessary action of any kind!"

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
Guys, the source is the Daily Telegraph ie biased as fuck. I'm taking this with a grain of salt the size of the fucking Pacific.
Damn, beaten to the punch.

But yeah, the Telegraph, Daily Mail and any Newscorp paper should automatically be disregarded when it comes to anything political.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Maybe it's to save kids embarrassment?
I wasn't able to blow up balloons with my mouth until I was nine or so.
I bet there's other kids like me out there.