EU says it's illegal for children to blow up balloons

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Its the EU, a possibly semi legal body at best that just seems to want to take as much money and power for itself as it can, no matter what the situation.
They just seem to like banning things to make it look like they do something...

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Meh, just face it guys; everything that was fun to us in the 80's and early 90's is now completely illegal for kids of the same age to do these days. Like play in the street...god that story made me want to somehow have the charisma to lead a revolution....((This was in Florida, btw.)) I don't have a source on it, cuz it was posted on here a long time ago and I just remember it.

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
The EU is a waste of money that started out as a trading community and somehow turned into a political entity. The sooner the UK leaves, the better. Norway has the right idea.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
AngryMongoose said:
[...]

Someone has to? Or do we just go "AHH! The Euro is dropping! Go into Chaos Mode! No Unnecessary action of any kind!"
If the Euro drops we might have to pay more ridicously higher prices on Steam than we have already BUT then again our Exports (to non-European countries) would rise creating an Influx of foreign currency for those shrewed enterpreneurs. So while I am in favor of a high Euro the "economy" might find a lower Euro more palpable. It's a rather complex topic and pretty boring I supposing anway back to the original topic:
Sounds familiar. Probably some retarded kid from a backwater town of inbread European Innsmouth people suffocated and thus all the laws have to be changed. Because the stupid always reign supreme nowadays.
It's just like Bicycle Helmets. You know, in my days, there weren't any bicycle helmets. If you were too stupid to ride a bike and you hit your head too many times on that concrete sidewalk (that's pavement if you from that cute little Island) it was "game over" for you. But nowadays we have helmets, so even those morons who repeatly misuse their bycycle are saved.
So much for natural selection... ;)

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
Ah, the good old English press, making up more sensationalist headlines about the EU and it's crazy rulings. The headline is complete bullshit, like they always are in these types of stories. What they've actually done is said children under 8 shouldn't be allowed to blow up balloons unsupervised, which is perfectly reasonable IMO.

All of these types of stories should be taken with massive sacks of salt, since most of them are just made up by journalists or at the very least, they misrepesent what the rulings actually mean.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
I've just been browsing the EU website, reading through the EU Toy Safety press releases. I found this (bold bit is important)

Enhanced safety requirements to prevent choking risks

Rules on toys and their parts to prevent children from choking or suffocating are strengthened. Toys in or co-mingled with food always need to be in a separate packaging. Toys which require the food to be consumed before getting access to the toy are prohibited.

Right, the EU banned Kinder Eggs!!

Fuck them, what a waste of time, when they should be getting the very heart of their broken house in order.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
It's just like Bicycle Helmets. You know, in my days, there weren't any bicycle helmets. But nowadays we have helmets, so even those morons who repeatly misuse their bycycle are saved.
Do kids wear helmets now? I mean, in London yeah, where being hit is an inevitability, but elsewhere? Just land in the stinging nettles; you'll be fine.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Nickolai77 said:
The Telegraph and the EU is what Fox News is to Obama. I wouldn't believe a word it says about the Union.
I would agree with you but...
This is the EU.

This is exactly the kind of shit that they would do.
Example: They prevented one guy from selling, and even giving away thousands of pounds worth of kiwis because they were 1mm under EU regulation.

He had to throw thousands of kiwis away...
Just a waste...

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
The thing is, there are actually people sitting in a conference room thinking this is a good idea. But talk to someone on the street, and you'll rarely get one who agrees. Does becoming a eurocrat just change people? Or does it take a crazy person to seek out the job in the first place? It's hard to believe that there wasn't a single person in authority along the convoluted process who called bullshit on this.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
PunchedBarbecue said:
I'm not one for drawn out paragraphs so I'll be brief.

The EU has passed a law banning children under the age of 8 to blow up balloons without supervision in case they choke. They also placed an identical law for under-14s using party blowers. Apparently toys which infants have used happily for decades now pose an "unacceptable" risk *shrug*

We have an entire continent in economic collapse and our leaders are worried about balloons?! Do we have children in charge of our countries?
Bah... It's the same as the fact that Happy Birthday is Copy righted and it is actually illegal to perform said song outside of the family circle or family friends...

Ramin 123

Apr 23, 2010
ChromaticWolfen said:
Children of the revolution. It will happen. No one will give two shits about this law anyway. Who is going to report me if I ever let my children blow up balloons before they turn 8? The fucking Party Police?
Shhhh big brother is always watching lol

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
yeah I'm not buying it our (british) news papers are always making shit like this up to give old people something to complain about I think that also said bananas couldn't be curvy or some other bull shit and even if it is true how would they enforce it

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Private Custard said:
I've just been browsing the EU website, reading through the EU Toy Safety press releases. I found this (bold bit is important)

Enhanced safety requirements to prevent choking risks

Rules on toys and their parts to prevent children from choking or suffocating are strengthened. Toys in or co-mingled with food always need to be in a separate packaging. Toys which require the food to be consumed before getting access to the toy are prohibited.

Right, the EU banned Kinder Eggs!!

Fuck them, what a waste of time, when they should be getting the very heart of their broken house in order.
Actually, it came up on QI, that the humble Kinder egg is one of the most confiscated items when entering the land of the free that is ... the USA.

I imagine it being the British anti EU press, the facts are all there, in that a balloon, a child and a policeman were seen somewhere in Europe, but that the actual connections between balloons, kids, and the law were perhaps slightly modified to fit :)

This days after the Mail was caught printed a piece on Amanda Knox being found guilty, after she was found innocent of murder, complete with lots of lovely fabricated quotes and reactions from people in the court etc.

Now I understand that sometimes, speed is of the essence, and perhaps you'd have a template article ready to go on both side of an important trial, but just making it all up, including quotes from people, is too far imo. You should fill in the facts, then check them, then publish.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
smearyllama said:
Maybe it's to save kids embarrassment?
I wasn't able to blow up balloons with my mouth until I was nine or so.
I bet there's other kids like me out there.
As far as I know that's normal, I've never heard of an eight year old who could blow up a balloon by themselves. Even my own (fully-grown) mother can't do it properly. Quite an over-reaction though from the Telegraph considering all that's happening is that a warning is being placed on the balloons.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Well of course this should happen. Next you'll be saying you don't give your children proper eye protection when playing conkers, you mad bastard.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
So not even a 13 year old can use a whistle blower. So until last summer I couldn't. The real question is, how would a kid swallow one of those?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
LordFisheh said:
The thing is, there are actually people sitting in a conference room thinking this is a good idea. But talk to someone on the street, and you'll rarely get one who agrees. Does becoming a eurocrat just change people? Or does it take a crazy person to seek out the job in the first place? It's hard to believe that there wasn't a single person in authority along the convoluted process who called bullshit on this.
I agree to an extent, but it's not a conference room in Europe, it's the Daily Telegraph's 'you couldn't make it up' fiction dept.

There are some slightly strange laws that come from the EU, however, most of the ones that make the papers either were pulled straight from Littlejohn's anus, or have been twisted out of all recognition by an 'opinion journalist'.

By the way, it was recently ruled that 'opinion journalists' can use the phrase 'The facts are', and then follow with lies, as 'its assumed that the reader will understand it's only an opinion. So they can now print 'the facts are, 99% of all cakes in the UK are eaten by lesbian immigrant amputee benefit cheats, paid for by YOUR taxes!' and that's just fine.

The only 'fact' I've really picked up on from newspapers is one of the health articles.

'Reading one less newspaper a day can reduce your fear of cancer/lefties/ crime/immigrants/ Europe/Muslims by 99%'.

Reminds me of 'EU meddlers pass law to force UK shopkeepers to sell eggs by weight, the traditional half dozen box is doomed!'.

Turns out they were just modifying an old law which specified that eggs had to be weighed and the weight printed on the box somewhere, while nothing else else changed. They were still to be sold by sixes, dozens or hundreds, whatever the vendor chose.

To which the response was 'But it'll force UK farmers to buy expensive weighing and sorting equipment, putting honest british jobs at risk! OMG EU!'

When in fact farmers already weigh the eggs, that's how you get a box of medium or large or x large eggs.

I'm not sure that Europe is the right move for the UK in all ways, but every time I see another piece of entirely fabricated scaremongering by the tabloids, and when the Times or Telegraph do shit like this, they ARE being tabloids, it makes me want to vote pro Europe. I mean, surely there's got to be real reasons against Europe they could be reporting on?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, this just helps me to prove my claim.
"The newer generations are full of morons."

Dunno if it's due to the parents and bad parenting, or today's children are naturally idiots, but either way, they are idiots. things I've been doing since I was 8, teenagers nowadays don't know to do.