Eve Online Panel Encourages Harassing Suicidal Player

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Pandabearparade said:
Zen Toombs said:
Ladies and Gentlemen.... Eve Online.
Dear God, is it really that bad? I'd heard it was bad, but is this sort of thing really representative of those who play it?

I'm starting to develop a knee-jerk dislike of anyone who plays Eve, similar to my dislike of anyone who has 'Atlas Shrugged' on their list of favorite books.
My understanding is that it isn't QUITE that bad. Just, you know, close.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Sylveria said:
Sounds like something the Eve player-base would do. The game is built for people who have only the minimal human functions and social-skills. They likely see the death of another player simply as one less person they have to compete with in the game.
I was going to make a post but you pretty much summed up my feelings about the Eve 'Community'

AlexGC

Mar 26, 2012
Eve is a harsh environment, if you play the drama queen/emo card expect people to get harsh on you (if you honestly think this is anything other than attention seeking drama queen behaviour you may be beyond hope for inhabiting the internet). Personally I don't see that it went outside the bounds of the game.

[edit] It is hard to understand what many of the people replying here have based their opinion on, this is partly due to the dreadful article, lacking facts or context, but also appears to be knee-jerk reactions not based on even what is actually contained IN the article.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Wait. (after reading top posts)

so you're telling me this whole story is just an inaccurate piecea'crap that was blown out of proportion?

yikes; I feel silly for believing everything I read

captcha: "The all-new Chevy Sonic"

A whole new level of hardcore -advertising. (cognitive imprint through typing) The clever SOBs..

off topic, I suddenly feel like going car shopping? Anyone come with?

Daemonfae

Mar 26, 2012
Kasurami said:
Hey, everyone who attended that panel and joined in on this?

You are all sick, sick bastards who should be hugely ashamed of yourselves.

Those who presented this shit?

You're not even close to human. Please stop living.
I'm going to give you five minutes to ponder the depths of you stupidity, see if you can figure out both why you're not very smart, and simultaneously why this is just sensationalist press with little bearing on reality.

I'll be waiting for your reply.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Think it's a bit silly myself, the article doesn't get into any details and only presents it in a very serious 'tone' but we have no idea what was actually said.

My guess? This is being blown out of proportion by media sites that are looking to generate hits. If what was actually said was actually this bad their would be some direct quotes. Of course CCP respond seriously to not make them sound so callous if they don't or try to say 'they are blowing it out of proportion for page views' then they sound like they don't care or are crying victim. Plus you never want to get the media pissed off at you.

Moose Fisher

Feb 11, 2009
I watched the portion of the panel where this occurs. (Reposting for others to see)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E7Ki91U-mBE#t=3705s

Looks like the guy sent the message as a way to try and get sympathy after getting shaken down. The depressed player may have made up whatever he wrote; we don't know

The only error I'm seeing is when the CSM told everyone the depressed player's account name and encouraged the harassment. Even if the depressed player is not really depressed, there's no need to grief the guy like that.

EDIT: I've played a bit of EVE a long time ago, just a free trial. The game does warn to regard everyone with a grain of salt (with a voiced tutorial that says this with noticeable regret/pity). The main thing I got from that is to stick to the high security core until you're ready to wander into the player-controlled fringes. Til then, you have no business being 0.0 sec unless you're part of or allied with the corporation that controls it.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
And I'm reminded why the EVE fanbase is the scum of the internet... They're even worse than Lol and DotA... almost as bad as Xbox Live and that Japanese site that talked that guy into hanging himself on a live webcam...>.<

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
RaikuFA said:

This industry is getting sickening...
You hang out in a place that makes money by shocking or alarming you with single-sentence summaries with the sole intention of getting you to click them, then worry about the state of the gaming community? Go to a forum or something, and see all the awesome things that aren't inflammatory enough for news industries to publish.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I couldn't bring myself to watch more than few minutes of the video due to the the presenter being a total immature, obnoxious, drunk dickblister. So yeah, it's not that hard to believe he'd do something like this (if true).
For better or for worse I don't know anything about EvE but I gather it's common to bully and scam other players. What would posses someone to play a game like that is beyond me. To each his own I suppose.

EDIT: watched the video, he does mention some guys name at 1:12:00 and invites people to find him. Pretty much stands for itself.

Daemonfae

Mar 26, 2012
Sacman said:
And I'm reminded why the EVE fanbase is the scum of the internet... They're even worse than Lol and DotA... almost as bad as Xbox Live and that Japanese site that talked that guy into hanging himself on a live webcam...>.<
And here you are, posting on a well respected forum where one of YOUR members said "please stop living" to the guy who told another guy to kill himself.

Pot, kettle, black, you didnt even watch the video, why are you posting?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
cairocat said:
RaikuFA said:

This industry is getting sickening...
You hang out in a place that makes money by shocking or alarming you with single-sentence summaries with the sole intention of getting you to click them, then worry about the state of the gaming community? Go to a forum or something, and see all the awesome things that aren't inflammatory enough for news industries to publish.
You mean how I get berated because I like JRPGs? Or because I wanted to try fighters I'm the gaming equivilent of Satan. Or how about because I wanted to make my own PC yet when I asked what were the best parts to get for it, I deserve to have my hands broken beyond repair because I'm not tech savvy.

Its very hard to talk or have a fun discussion when everyone wants your head just because of what you like/dislike.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
jurnag12 said:
Well, I see one CSM member who isn't getting re-elected any time soon.

Sylveria said:
Sounds like something the Eve player-base would do. The game is built for people who have only the minimal human functions and social-skills. They likely see the death of another player simply as one less person they have to compete with in the game.
There's plenty of friendly, social people on EVE. The fact that only the big heists, frauds, schemes and wars reach any sort of news doesn't mean that everyone's like that.
Not that any of those things are indicative of the personalities behind them. The game encourages it because its a game.

This is just cunts being cunts.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
Okay, why are there about five accounts, all made today, that all seem to be saying the exact same thing?

Edit - And two of them yelled at me about being judgmental within three minutes of my post? I feel so loved!

OT - Well, that's pretty bad. I'm not entirely surprised by the fact that people are saying it, but I'm a bit disturbed that someone with that much power was given a panel, came to it drunk, and proceeded to spew such verbal diarrhea. I tried EVE, once, and could never get into it. Now I'm glad I didn't.

AlexGC

Mar 26, 2012
Woodsey said:
This is just cunts being cunts.
It was within the game, and as an Eve player who pays attention to actual facts I can say with complete certainty: he will not be banned, and he will win the CSM chairmanship by another landslide next year. Personally I couldn't care, it doesn't effect me. Goons on the other hand are over the moon at the shit storm this has stirred up outside of Eve, not only that they generating tears and hate from ignorant people in game, they are now generating tears and hate from ignorant people outside of game.

That One Six said:
Okay, why are there about five accounts, all made today, that all seem to be saying the exact same thing?
Maybe because when you attack something in a ignorant manner, passing some kind of worthless judgement, it riles people up and they make the effort to reply. I don't like Mittani or the way he chooses to play Eve, but its a sandbox; you can play how you like and what he has done in no way warrants this bullshit.

[edit]

Just look at the number of people who read an obviously weak article, knee-jerked to some worthless conclusion, didn't bother reading any comments, but felt that their 2 line judgement was worth contributing - Eve kicks this type of person in the nuts again and again until they change or quit, blaming the game for their failings. That is why I love Eve.