EVE Online Rolls Out New Noob-Friendly Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
1
0
EVE Online Rolls Out New Noob-Friendly Edition


Aspiring EVE players will want to check out EVE Online: Commissioned Officer Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Eve-Online-Commisioned-Officer-Pc/dp/B003VJID7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286929074&sr=8-1], a new boxed release of the space-based MMO that's been specifically designed to help new players get into the action.

CCP [http://www.eveonline.com] is notoriously hands-off with the game, but this is one issue it appears willing to do something about.

The Commissioned Officer Edition of EVE Online will include a key for starting a new account, 30 days of game time and an EVE poster with hints and tips for new players. But the most important part of the package will be the Cerebral Accelerator, "a military-grade implant that significantly increases a new pilot's skill development." The implant provides a powerful boost to nearly all abilities, but only for the first 30 days of a pilot's life - just enough to help fledgling players get up to speed.

Does anyone else find this idea awfully tempting? I have friends who play EVE and they love it, and it's always fun to read about all the creatively horrible things the players do to one another in the game. I'm a bit of a space opera nerd, too. Maybe it's time to quit messing around and actually take this thing for a spin?

The Cerebral Accelerator will only be given to the first character created on a new player's account and can only be had through retail purchases of EVE Online; the Commissioned Officer Edition is not being offered via digital distribution. Retailers are taking preorders now and are currently listing a ship date of October 19.


Permalink
 

Caradinist

New member
Nov 19, 2009
251
0
0
I can't wait for the EVE Playerbase to act as if "newbie friendly" means the same thing as "desecrating this game".
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
16,205
8,652
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
Where was this when I started playing? Nyah. Anyway, it's not a bad idea. Of course, the "hardcore" players will say "keep it the same", but I'm willing to bet most of them are just looking for nore newbies to trick into making themselves vulnerable somehow so they can shoot them down.
 

deth2munkies

New member
Jan 28, 2009
1,066
0
0
Oh come on. It changes nothing, it's just a free trial on crack. I tried this game and it's the most pathetic timesink I've ever seen. MMOs are, by design, a timesink, but this one is the absolute worst.

The best way to get money is to sit around an asteroid for 6-8 hours until your cargohold fills, go back and post the resources, then rinse, wash, repeat. The "cerebral accelerator" barely addresses the problem that in order to advance past "level 1" you have to wait for 8+ hours per skill. You don't level up by fighting, you do it by WAITING. Sitting there and WAITING. This game has 0 action, even battles have barely any control, you just activate weapons and do minor movements and you win or lose.

Those "epic battles" and "schemes" are literally .2% of the game that only rear their heads after you've waited for months to level up your skills. It's an utter sham. Don't buy this and flee from any related product with all haste.
 

dududf

New member
Aug 31, 2009
4,072
0
0
HEE HEE HEE.

This is perfect for making another alt, so you can have more accounts to gank nubs.

*edit

They should use the more common Catalyst ship appearance.



Silly graphics bug, far too common.
 

6unn3r

New member
Aug 12, 2008
567
0
0
Given that after this "simple intro" players will still have to navigate 3000 pages of words and technical schematics (i refer you here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online) i fail to see how this influx of players will hang around long enough to make this new "noob friendly" version viable.

 

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
I bought it figuring I could try a different style of MMO, what I got reminded me of having a job and not getting paid for it.
There's a reason I play games, so I don't have to feel like I'm at work all the damn time.
 

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
6,976
0
0
bah. I already have an account, and I don't feel like making another one, but this would be great, as I was hoping to get back into the game and my account is pretty fresh.
 

sogortheogre

New member
Apr 20, 2009
121
0
0
deth2munkies said:
Oh come on. It changes nothing, it's just a free trial on crack. I tried this game and it's the most pathetic timesink I've ever seen. MMOs are, by design, a timesink, but this one is the absolute worst.

The best way to get money is to sit around an asteroid for 6-8 hours until your cargohold fills, go back and post the resources, then rinse, wash, repeat. The "cerebral accelerator" barely addresses the problem that in order to advance past "level 1" you have to wait for 8+ hours per skill. You don't level up by fighting, you do it by WAITING. Sitting there and WAITING. This game has 0 action, even battles have barely any control, you just activate weapons and do minor movements and you win or lose.

Those "epic battles" and "schemes" are literally .2% of the game that only rear their heads after you've waited for months to level up your skills. It's an utter sham. Don't buy this and flee from any related product with all haste.
This doesn't seem like the EvE I played at all. Mining was definitely not the most profitable thing you could do, unless you have at least 3 other people mining with you, along with some sort of hauler, nor does it take 6-8 hours to fill a cargohold. Think more like 5 minutes. Advancing past "level 1" in a skill takes time varying on the skill. Easy skill? 30 minutes. Difficult skill? Maybe an hour or two. The only time very long skill times come into play is when you are trying to get into advanced ships tech 2 or tech 3 ships, like Heavy Assault Cruisers or Marauders (or capital ships).
 

Epitome

New member
Jul 17, 2009
703
0
0
I tried Eve and I would really get into it, next time my laptop dies and I get an upgrad eI may have to take it up. I love games with a bitching learning curve, but more important unregulated PK. Eve does it very well, your safe as houses if you stick to the safe zones, but the most wealth is in the most dangerous areas. Pirates run the risk of bigger pirates and at least the chance for politcal intrigue exists.
 

tehroc

New member
Jul 6, 2009
1,293
0
0
deth2munkies said:
The best way to get money is to sit around an asteroid for 6-8 hours until your cargohold fills, go back and post the resources, then rinse, wash, repeat. The "cerebral accelerator" barely addresses the problem that in order to advance past "level 1" you have to wait for 8+ hours per skill. You don't level up by fighting, you do it by WAITING. Sitting there and WAITING. This game has 0 action, even battles have barely any control, you just activate weapons and do minor movements and you win or lose.
That is not the best way too make money. First the miner mines ore and places it in containers non stop. The hauler picks up the containers and transports it to the corporation facilities. The refiner refines the ore and its either shipped to a manufacturer who puts the finished product for sale. The trader hauls it to various hotspots to list on the market. Escort all space operations.

Each corp member specializes in order to increase efficiency and that's how you make money.

Quite honestly I doubt this will help break that many new players into the system. I can see this being an absolute blessing for veterans looking to pick up a second or third account though.
 

Fr]anc[is

New member
May 13, 2010
1,893
0
0
tehroc said:
That is not the best way too make money. First the miner mines ore and places it in containers non stop. The hauler picks up the containers and transports it to the corporation facilities. The refiner refines the ore and its either shipped to a manufacturer who puts the finished product for sale. The trader hauls it to various hotspots to list on the market. Escort all space operations.

Each corp member specializes in order to increase efficiency and that's how you make money.
...so instead of sitting there picking your nose with a break every once in a while, you sit there and pick your nose forever, and sometimes hand your boogers to some other dude?
 

Big_H

New member
Mar 23, 2009
9
0
0
Epitome said:
I tried Eve and I would really get into it, next time my laptop dies and I get an upgrad eI may have to take it up. I love games with a bitching learning curve, but more important unregulated PK. Eve does it very well, your safe as houses if you stick to the safe zones, but the most wealth is in the most dangerous areas. Pirates run the risk of bigger pirates and at least the chance for politcal intrigue exists.
See all that sounds awesome, and just reading that makes be want to run out and play the game (seriously. I almost went and started downloading the trial again after reading that). But all three times I've tried the free trial it's been like poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick. So whatever they put in that box, hopefully it will do something to make the early game interesting.
 

tehroc

New member
Jul 6, 2009
1,293
0
0
Fr said:
anc[is]

...so instead of sitting there picking your nose with a break every once in a while, you sit there and pick your nose forever, and sometimes hand your boogers to some other dude?
Depends on what you wanna do, maybe you wanna steal someone else boogers. I don't know if the pve has improved but that was a semi ok way to get money.

I don't play EVE btw, it's a great game for what it is but it's not my style. Plus going from jump to jump is boring.