Ever feel sorry for the enemies you've killed in a game?

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
I don't have a problem mowing down enemies in most games as it is a kill or be killed situation and you need to do it in order to progress the game.

I also don't mind killing big daddies in bioshock as I need the adam and rewards they give, plus I think I am probably doing them a favour.

What I did struggle with was harvesting the little sisters. I could never bring myself to do that in bioshock 1 or 2.

I also felt bad about killing saren and the rachni queen in ME1, but that didn't stop me doing it on my renegade playthrough.

I however, feel absolutely no guilt about killing enemies in borderlands, especially as my berserker character seems to be enjoying himself so much as he does it!

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
In Fallout 3/New Vegas, when we face Robobrains, they say things like: "I´m sorry about this", "I wish they could program me to love", etc, etc, and I kinda feel sorry for them, ´cause they´re just humans, that were victims of the governments´ experiments.

I don´t feel sorry for almost anyone else in a game, because they´re trying to fucking kill me, and when I spare them, they backstab me at the first chance they got. Screw those fuckers.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Company of Heroes when you call in the Naval strike and it has the Germans begging for it to end. Kinda felt sorry for them then, really made them seem human

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Do I ever feel sorry for chainsawing/sniping/curb-stomping a Locust or Lambent enemy?
No, of course not. If they are dumb enough to run towards me and make themselves cannon fodder then they deserve to die.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Slycne said:
I couldn't bring myself to kill a single person after having made this impassioned plea that they were people and not simply a means to an end. I had even spent the last several hours gearing up for a big final confrontation, but I hadn't brought any stun weapons with me.

I spent the next few hours cloak sprinting through groups, using all my energy bars to double KO them 2 at a time and strongly fighting the urge to mow them down with my battle riffle.
I loved that section (just completed DE: HR today) because at long last I could use my sword arms to kill and kill again without an alarm being raised!

I find myself sympathetic to the Helghast so butchering them is quite difficult to pull off and the sections where Sergeant "Insane pyscopath" Reznov orders you to murder German soldiers or where German soldiers are being gunned down, run over or set on fire when trying to surrender make me feel awful.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've never felt bad. They're games for christ sake. "No Russian?" I felt nothing. I only feel for newbies or beginners when they get slaughtered in multiplayer, mind you.

Mar 30, 2010
Nope, never. After all, the term 'enemy' implies that they are actively trying to kill my character and/or my allies. So screw 'em. If the question was "Ever feel sorry for the non-hostile npcs you've killed in games?" then my answer would be: Not if they had good loot.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Mages in dragon age, but that didnt last long since every single one of them turned into a demon, became a serial killer or commited mass murder.

DinkumFair

Mar 11, 2011
This is why I have such a hard time playing the Madden series. I feel so bad for all the enemies I murder with my death rays and machineguns. I mean they don't even get revolvers loaded with blanks... it is unfair.

ZLAY

Jul 31, 2011
I don't mind killing mindless bots, but I do feel kinda bad when killing colossi in the Shadow of the Colossus especially the last one mostly because of the depressing soundtrack.

And I felt even worse killing Jack-O in the Armored Core.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Estelindis said:
Commissar Sae said:
Strangely feel sorry for some of the guys I kill in Alpha protocol as well, maybe it has to do with the ORPHAN COUNTER they so nicely put in the game to remind you of all the fatherless children you've now created.
Heh. I didn't kill a single enemy in Alpha Protocol (used stealth, martial arts, and tranquilizer rounds) but still felt somewhat bad about the medical bill tally for their injuries that showed up in the statistics screen. Genius game.
The worse part is that I haven't killed as many people as I could have. Try to sneak and beat as much as possible except on a few missions. But I swear each and every one of the guys I've killed had like 4-8 kids he was raising on his own.

May 29, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
JesterRaiin said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
I mean yeah they allways attack you but you're the fucking batman, they must be scared for their lifes.
Boo-hoo. Should've stay at home. :)
This is their home. I could leave at any time, they're trapped here.
And that's why Jack Thompson started his crusade. :|
Man, if you're so fragile you shouldn't play such games and that's all.
When I say I felt sorry for them, I mean I slightly pitied them while I was beating them up. And than I proceeded to beat them up some more. I don't fully understand how getting slightly emotionally involved in a games world makes me fragile.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
I cried like a little girl when I had to defeat Vergil in Devil May Cry 3 ... he was so awesome ;(

Otherwise - no, not really. Most NPC are characterized, so it's hard to feel anything for them. However, if I war to kill a character with a fleshed out personality and back story, then I guess I'd feel a little bad.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
This is not so much sorry as disturbed and a little disgusted. It was in Fallout: NV

I was at the part of the main quest where you get to choose to kill Mr. House. Well at first I was going to do that...The entire sequence was just so surreal and disturbing...then when he said his last words I just had to stop, reload a previous save and chose to help him instead

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
aidutcher said:
There's a part in Oblivion during one of the Dark Brotherhood quests when you have to kill a whole family, starting with an old woman. She gets all excited thinking you're from a gift delivery service, so she gives you a list telling you where all her relatives are and thanks you profusely for being kind enough to get the gifts to all of her children. Then you kill her and proceed to kill everyone on the list. When you kill the old woman, her dog comes over and starts howling.

I was usually able to put the targets' personal lives out of my mind when doing the DB quests, but I made the mistake of talking to the old woman before killing her. I felt absolutely terrible. It took a lot of effort to maintain cold detachment for the rest of the quest.

There's another moment where you have to kill someone who's been nothing but kind to you and he shouts "Why brother?!" as he dies. Yet another time when Oblivion kicked my heart in the balls.
Interesting you should menation this, I felt vindictive pleasure throughout the entire dark brotherhood storyline, untill you are asked <spoiler=spoiler>to kill the entire faction you have been getting to know and working with through all those contracts. kinda feels like the tables turn.

anyway, I also felt a grat deal of remorse during Mass effect 2 'the arrival' dlc <spoiler=spoiler> being forced to sacrifice 200,000+ Batarians to stop the reapers. Sure, they're not humans and you spend a good chunk of the game killing hundreds of people, but most of them are Mercenaries and I think it just throws you that so many die at once.

Prophiciser

Sep 10, 2008
The bit that got me most was in Alpha Protocol where you look at your kill stats and you find orphans created, no one ever thinks about the families of evil henchmen....

Kurtiss Penman

Nov 2, 2010
I never do,
A) it's a game.
B)all enemies in a game are a direct threat to you and/or squad mates, objectives, ect.
and C) if you didn't there would be no reason to play the game, you might as well go play hello kitty adventure if you don't want to play a game.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
Let's see... I'll base this on the last game I played, TF2... Last time I played TF2, I was the medic in the heavy-medic train that my friend and I do quite often. I recently got him a Strange minigun (tracks kills) on Friday night, and we played most of Saturday... He named his new gun the "Soviet Rapebus"... Let's see... If I remember well, we pushed into their base, mauled them all to death with a hail of bullets, and ended up spawn camping them... Do I feel bad for them...? Nope. Does that make me a bad person? Oh, It's also worth mentioning that the minigun got up to about 1100 kills by the end of Saturday.