Ever feel sorry for the enemies you've killed in a game?

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
Only twice.

The completely obvious one being the 'No Russian' level in MW2 though I suppose they weren't technically enemies so that might not count.

The other time definitely counts and occurred during my favorite game of all time, Golden Sun.
You find out in the second half of Golden Sun that the antagonists from the first half were not trying to destroy the world as your elders had informed you. In fact, they were attempting to save the world and you killed them before they could complete their task.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
One time I was playing Fallout New Vegas for the thousandth-something hour and I was forced to fight a pack of coyotes. They all charged at me but after I bashed one of their skulls in with a 9 iron, the rest of them scattered so I chased them all down through a cave and slaughtered them. That made me sad for a split second because I've always liked dogs and it felt wrong killing them. Then I shook it off and burned a couple of innocent civilians to death with an incinerator.

Other than that I've never been the video game sympathizer. They are just computer coding after all.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Bolt Van Der Huge said:
You can simply
talk Darrow into giving you the shutdown code or hack the terminal on the front of the Hyron. Then just hide while the floors electrify then toast Zhao a few minutes later

Or be evil.
damn i had the codes but i didn't use it because at that point the whole finale just left so disappointed i just wanted the game to be over.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
i felt sorry for the collosi in shadow of the colossus

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
The turrets from Portal. You don't blame me; I do.

Surprisingly for me, I found it really hard to kill the other assassins of the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. They grew on me, for some reason, and where I could easily kill them through brute force or poison I found I was having a hard time killing them because I really didn't want to. Unlike most other copy-and-paste characters in that game, they stuck out because a lot about them was told to you through the dialogue - they felt better realized and had greater character depth than even most of the main-plot NPCs; these were just side-characters, mind you.

One of the few times I've ever regretted having advanced through a quest, that's for sure.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Lilani said:
I sort of feel bad whenever I set the zombies on fire in HL2. The way they just scream in agony until they drop dead...it's chilling. I only feel that way about the regular zombies, though. The zombines and the hellish things that run really fast can burn in hell for all I care.

Maybe I am a sadistic bastard because their cries of "Fire fire!!" only make me laugh...

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Not when I play Dark Souls...never, NEVER! I laugh every time those human mobs in Darkroot Garden fall to their doom at the soul grinding spot.

ssjsuperman

Feb 16, 2010
Killing the last boss in Radiata Stories,he basically save the human race but in other to do that he had to kill the main characters girl.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
Yup. Lots of times in MMOs I feel bad about killing 'x' number of mobs, especially if they are innocent bystanders in whatever conflict is going on.

Take, for example, RIFT. I had a earlier level quest that had me kill troglodyte-type creatures. That's fine, they wanted to eat my face off anyway. But the quest-giver then sends me back to kill 'x' number of KID trogs. I was seriously like, "Wha?" I killed one kid (after wrestling over it for a minute) and ended up feeling bad enough about it that I ran away to avoid killing the 4 other little kid trogs that were part of the group. I then went back to the quest-giver, made every rude emote I could find, call him an asshole and deleted the quest.

A bit much? Yeah. But even in a video game world, ya gotta have morals....

....most of the time. =D

12GaugeLobotomy

Apr 3, 2011
JochemDude said:
Enemy players in ARMA 2, 'cause I know they'll have to travel like 10-20 minutes to get back in the action.
Hahahah, this. It's pretty soul destroying to have to trek for 15 minutes over a large portion of eastern Europe only to be sniped by some assclown hiding behind a rock and have to do it all over again.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
If the enemies are AI, usually never. Not if they're an important character to the story, I just don't really connect with them.

If they're humans, usually not. Sometimes I even outright try to make them rage.

CrazyDave DC

Apr 14, 2010
Pretty much all of the "Rise of Sauron" campaign in Lord of the Rings: Conquest I felt guilty. I mean, the game wasn't that great, but I stuck around because I practically live off this stuff and like the soundtrack. From murdering a few of the Fellowship members, to setting ents on fire, to kicking hobbits in the face (actually, that felt oddly satisfying, ha ha), I gradually became more and more disgusted with myself.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
For generic mook enemies? No, never.

Some of the bosses on the other hand, like The Boss in MGS3, or some of the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus or Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls.
I feel bad for whoever that is getting torn apart in your avatar. What gundam series is that from?

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
well it's not an enemy, but i got very sad when i had to kill my companion cube

Nooh

Mar 31, 2011
Depends if the one enemy you get to kill in Penumbra: Black Plague counts. The sheer emotional effect stemming from the realization that you had one person who helped you all that way, one person who was willing to risk it for you, one person who had even planned to get out of there and give you a great big hug afterwards, that you ended up killing, was almost depressing. Imagine the hopelessness from being stuck in that lab, the desperation from waiting for your unlikely saviour, the happiness from seeing him arrive, and then the shock and betrayal from realizing that the one person who you put your trust in, the one person who actually braved through and made it to you, was going to kill you. That's... beyond words, in my opinion.

For actual enemies though? None that I can think of right now.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I always feel bad killing Dryads in World of Warcraft. Their death sound is just so... sad.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
for me it depends on the game, in dues ex HR I was wandering around the gang hideout and I rather then knocking out a guard I killed and I did fell bad, but in cod I don't care in the slightest, or oblivion accidently hitting a person and having to kill them so they don't call the guard that I care about.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I basically feel bad any time I'm a dick to a well-done character who doesn't really piss me off. Hell I hated Conrad Verner and I still felt kinda bad about pulling a gun on him. That Oblivion mission for the dark brotherhood where you kill the entire family does it too.