Ever feel sorry for the enemies you've killed in a game?

dcrane

Sep 8, 2010
Yep, Shadow of the Collosus - couldn't bring myself to kill these huge majestic (and as far as I could tell, unique) beasts after the first two. Extinction for 12 awesome species just so I could save another human? Nope, doesn't work for me...

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
J-meMalone said:
ReservoirAngel said:
I kind of felt bad for killing Saren. Both ways, either just gunning him down or talking him into killing himself. Probably felt worse about the suicide, since at that point he wasn't outwardly attacking you, so you are essentially just bullying a brainwashed man into ending his own life.

Seriously, I liked Saren!
Me too, though the paragon persuade was less "kill yourself" and more "join me and stop Sovereign" with Saren making the choice to shoot himself because he can't go against the indoctrination. Or did I just remember that entire scene wrong?
I never experienced the paragon version of events, since paragon Shepard pissed me off to no end. So I just went with Renegade and Shepard... yeah, he talks a mentally-damaged man into shooting himself through the brain!
That's pretty bad, though at least he's ending it on his own terms as opposed you doing it to him I guess? I kind of wish they'd fleshed Saren out a bit more, he may have been racist but there were some hints at complexity to him, then BOOM game's ended.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
JesterRaiin said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
JesterRaiin said:
JesterRaiin said:
I mean yeah they allways attack you but you're the fucking batman, they must be scared for their lifes.
Boo-hoo. Should've stay at home. :)
This is their home. I could leave at any time, they're trapped here.
And that's why Jack Thompson started his crusade. :|
Man, if you're so fragile you shouldn't play such games and that's all.
When I say I felt sorry for them, I mean I slightly pitied them while I was beating them up. And than I proceeded to beat them up some more. I don't fully understand how getting slightly emotionally involved in a games world makes me fragile.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, look buddy... Sole purpose of those morons is being there, for you to kick their sorry asses. It's not that they return home and say "That was really hard night, everything was ok then Batman arrived and f*cked us Chris Benoit's style". I'd understand some sort of sympathy for Sims, but not for generic villains that simply cease to exist seconds after you leave their room. :)

We live in hard, cruel reality. No, really. Considering pixels as more than they are is a sign of weakness in my book. And straight path to world polluted by people that consider games anything more than fun. But that's just me. :)
You consider people who disagree with you to be pollution?

Caring about stories and people you know not to be real is the centre of any kind of storytelling. You know that the man on screen is nothing more than coloured dots, but because you're immersed in the story, you don't care. It's no different to feeling sorrow at a tragic film scene or being frightened by a creepypasta, just the emotion is being conveyed through a different method to book or film.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Every time I play Bioshock. The Big Daddy's are actually pretty good guys serving a somewhat noble purpose. (I kill them so that I can protect the little girl?) Then most of the Splicers are being controlled by Ryan with hive mentality. Very few "bad guys" in Bioshock seem like actual "bad guys" to me.

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
I felt genuinely awful at the (bad) end of infamous 2 - close to man tears when a certain someone tries (powerlessly) to stop you.

Most of the time though? not really, the argument of "the guards are only doing their job" doesn't wash with me - if their job is to fight and kill other people at the behest of others then its hardly heartbreaking they get killed. Right?

QPCloudy

Oct 20, 2011
I played my wife in Cod MW2 one on one local and just kept killing her and trying to teach her. I felt bad for a moment, but then I laughed, told her to suck it up and kept killing her. She'll never learn if I let her win, lol.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Sectan said:
Lilani said:
I sort of feel bad whenever I set the zombies on fire in HL2. The way they just scream in agony until they drop dead...it's chilling. I only feel that way about the regular zombies, though. The zombines and the hellish things that run really fast can burn in hell for all I care.

You should feel bad about the slow ones. Play their voices backwards. OH GOD OH GOD HELP ME AAAAAHHH!
Play all of them backwards and they scream like that, just in different ways. But the slow ones are the most chilling. It made me wish there was some way to shoot the headcraps off while leaving the person alive. But alas...

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, look buddy... Sole purpose of those morons is being there, for you to kick their sorry asses. It's not that they return home and say "That was really hard night, everything was ok then Batman arrived and f*cked us Chris Benoit's style". I'd understand some sort of sympathy for Sims, but not for generic villains that simply cease to exist seconds after you leave their room. :)

We live in hard, cruel reality. No, really. Considering pixels as more than they are is a sign of weakness in my book. And straight path to world polluted by people that consider games anything more than fun. But that's just me. :)
Way to be a jerk, dude. Don't call someone weak because they have an acute sense of empathy for something that isn't immediately human. All that suggests to me is that this guy isn't Going to go around murdering people in real life. I think that's a good thing.
On topic: I felt bad about harvesting little sisters when playing the first Bioshock, to the extent when I decided to restart and play again completely goodly, even to the extent that I wouldn't show my friend what the harvest animation looked like when he asked me. I didn't want to do it again.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
LordFisheh said:
JesterRaiin said:
You consider people who disagree with you to be pollution?
No, why ?

LordFisheh said:
Caring about stories and people you know not to be real is the centre of any kind of storytelling. You know that the man on screen is nothing more than coloured dots, but because you're immersed in the story, you don't care. It's no different to feeling sorrow at a tragic film scene or being frightened by a creepypasta, just the emotion is being conveyed through a different method to book or film.
Daffy F said:
Way to be a jerk, dude. Don't call someone weak because they have an acute sense of empathy for something that isn't immediately human. All that suggests to me is that this guy isn't Going to go around murdering people in real life. I think that's a good thing.
There's world of games and there's virtual one. There's playing and there's roleplaying. There are well developed characters and simple mannequines, with a few lines of script defining them, just waiting somewhere for hero to arrive and do whatever he is supposed to do. I fail to see a slightest point in caring about them. And yes, i perceive it as a first sign of weakness. Why ?

Because games aren't there to emulate real life, or to replace it. They are just for fun, nothing more. Nothing in them is "like in the reality", they only (sometimes) imitate real-world events quite good, tricking gamers into believieng that there's some depth in this experience. But underneath of it there's nothing besides lines of code, "0"s and "1"s. It should never ever be forgotten.

Ideas like OP's come from projecting elements of real world into virtual one. It's blurring the line between them and it leads only to unnecesary thinking and flawed conclusions. What's the next step ? Refusal to send countless armies to die in battle because they "have kids" ? Phuuleeeeeease. They are there only for that purpose. Thinking that GTA is all wrong, and playing it we're spreading chaos, violence, crime and malice in the world of real people with real lives ? You may like it or not, but that's what supports all those crusades against gaming.

I think that OP is tormenting himself unnecessarily, AND spreading seeds that (like in Inception) may grow into ideas that make life a little bit more difficult for him and/or other people.

It's just gaming. That's all.

NorthernStar

Oct 24, 2011
The drug dealer and Nathaniel Heavy Rain. Yes, I realize a lot of people hated that game, I didn't. I thought it was very entertaining. Moving on.

I thought it was quite something that while in other games you spent 8 hours shooting everything in sight, this game could make me feel terrible for pulling the trigger on a single person.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Rarely, Deus Ex (the original) made me feel guilty about killing NSF and Unatco troops, but other than that, can't really think of an example (didn't kill anyone in DE:HR, so can't say if i would have felt bad in that).

TriggerHappyJoe

Mar 21, 2009
I'm reminded very much of what one of the NCR 1st Recon snipers says. Fiends are just people who are so drugged up they don't know right from wrong, I always feel bad killing them.

Fable 2, in the Spire, the guy who is with you when you first go there, who tells you about his family and you have to kill him or lose all your xp

In Fable 3 I felt bad when I killed Logan the first time, once you learn that he had little choice in being the way he was.

I barely played it, since I thought it was almost unplayable, but I hear that the Nazis in Velvet Assassin sometimes have letters on them which they plan to send to wives/girlfriends.

I fell sad when I think about real soldiers and insurgents dying, considering Soldiers are just doing what they are told to and Insurgents tend to be people who have to do what they do given the circumstances. But I rarely feel attached to nameless faceless Marines since they don't have a back story.

In star wars battlefront all the Rebel soldiers were given average (in star wars terms) names, which made it a little harder killing them as Stormtrooper TX 260 or whatever.