Ever gotten a death/violent threat online?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Hey, so today I learned that a picture I posted a few months ago online kind of caught on and had a bit of popularity. In fact, I originally posted the picture here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.311163-Pokemon-The-Christian-Playthrough?page=4#13481307] on this site. The thing is though that it might have been a teeny bit offensive to Christians, and while I was browsing the flame war it started on reddit, some guy was saying whoever made the picture needs a shotgun bullet to the head.

Has something like this ever happened to you? When it did, were you offended, scared, apathetic, or just laughing your ass off? Honestly, it's kind of a strange feeling, but overall, I had a good laugh. What about you?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ha, I remember that picture. Got a laugh out of me, if that's worth anything.

And I've gotten a death threat once, because of Saints Row 2. Because I didn't want to let some random guy join my playthrough. Which is apparently grounds for wanting someone dead.

I just blocked all communications with the idiot and moved on with my life. No worse for the wear.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
RatRace123 said:
Ha, I remember that picture. Got a laugh out of me, if that's worth anything.

And I've gotten a death threat once, because of Saints Row 2. Because I didn't want to let some random guy join my playthrough. Which is apparently grounds for wanting someone dead.

I just blocked all communications with the idiot and moved on with my life. No worse for the wear.
I got a death threat in a freaking facebook game. Yeah it was battle pirates, and yeah I was blowing up some guys base. But why the hell does the guy have to start throwing very personal insults and using death threats...

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Probably like several years ago I was playing chess on yahoo or something (I suck at it and hardly ever play) and some guy was demanding I forfeit the match or he would come to my home and murder me. I probably did already lose at some point due to some bad moves but that guy really, really wanted to hurry up and move on to the next opponent to improve his score or something.

Online chess scores are serious business I guess. Cripes, I hardly remember how to even play that game anymore.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
When a "friend" of mine found out I was gay, he completely cut me off. Then he somehow discovered my dad's email address, and sent a death threat to my entire family saying how disgusting I was and that they should fix me or he'll call the police.

That was a fun day.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Every night i play a CoD game.

Apparently, i need to die of herpes/aids/cliffs/angry band of furries/pickup truck/hand grenade/lightening bolt to the nuts/stabbed/shot((x14))/gutted/r*ped((x7))/electric-chair for going 54/6.

People hate me. What can i say?

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Once, but he didn't live to make that same mistake twice.

In seriousness, probably but I never pay attention to the idiots. If they did try to break into my house, I have a spear, katana, and a war axe (axe on one side, war spike on the other) next to my bed. I also have a large arsenal of various bladed weapons in the corner away from the door. I can stab from my bed to the door with my spear so I can kill him without leaving the comfort of my blankets.

karkar

Mar 10, 2011
I got a death threat playing Warcraft III a while back. I was playing a custom game called "Angel Arena" and I figured out a really easy but non-cheating way to pretty much wreck everyone. This one guy got pissed and kept calling me a fag and all that, to which I responded with similar insults (I was young). After the game, he PM'd me saying that he was going to track my IP address and come to my house and kill me, which is, to this day, probably the most extreme thing someone had ever told me directly on the internet. But I just reported him and kept playing.

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
I get them on a regular basis. I help run a TF2 server, so I get wonderful threats from the assholes we deal with. My favorite was the kid who said he would rape my mother, fornicate with my father's skull, kill my dog, then teabag me to death while wearing my dog's skin as a condom.

I couldn't stop laughing.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
All the time in UMVC3, since I play a zoning game. Apparently, that's a cheap/not a real way to play, which means I need to burn in hell and my mother needs a good fuck.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
All the time.

Thumping people online in FIFA and NHL games by boatloads of goals leads to all sorts of messages along the lines of "ur crap and shood die!!!!!"

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
I've seen worse than that pic on other forums, that's why I joined the Escapist. =)

I'm very lucky in that no death threats have been lobbied at me, but if memory serves me right I am a Jewish whore hobo with ugly hairy legs, a certain confused body part, have a body made out of sticks (******), can see through walls, have a sonar system more powerful than a submarine and apparently have a female dog for a mother. New anti-hero anyone?

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Yeah.
So I, for various reasons, decided to troll a Halo game. I basically punched team mates until they got fed up, killed me, and then booted them. One of them actually started screaming into his headset. Funny enough, he was screaming "WHY ARE YOU KILLING ME", when he was the only one doing trolling. The death threats came in here, something about fucking my mother after killing her?

Probably best he was booted, with that level of intelligence he was probably a set back anyways.

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
When a "friend" of mine found out I was gay, he completely cut me off. Then he somehow discovered my dad's email address, and sent a death threat to my entire family saying how disgusting I was and that they should fix me or he'll call the police.

That was a fun day.
Or HE'D call the police?!
Quite sure death threats are illegal.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Man... I've threatened in real life and the internet so many times it doesn't really phase me. People have even tried to kill me in real life, so my typical response to people who say they're going to kill me is "you can try".

Although, NEVER threaten violence against my mom. I WILL lose my shit and tear you apart.

Darh Abdomino

Sep 20, 2010
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Hey, so today I learned that a picture I posted a few months ago online kind of caught on and had a bit of popularity. In fact, I originally posted the picture here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.311163-Pokemon-The-Christian-Playthrough?page=4#13481307] on this site. The thing is though that it might have been a teeny bit offensive to Christians, and while I was browsing the flame war it started on reddit, some guy was saying whoever made the picture needs a shotgun bullet to the head.

Has something like this ever happened to you? When it did, were you offended, scared, apathetic, or just laughing your ass off? Honestly, it's kind of a strange feeling, but overall, I had a good laugh. What about you?
Hey, Fundamentalist Lutheran here! and I'm here to tell you about the wonderful product "stop giving a crap"! For the low price of FREE you can have the chance to disregard the moronic masses of the web! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. Act now and will you not only recieve a "stop giving a crap" you will get not one, not two but THREE free get-out-of-blasphemy cards! THREE! All you have to do when you manage to piss off the masses is link them to my profile and I'll tell them to stop being so butthurt! For not turning me in for flaming for this post and I'll even give them uncut, within-context quotes from the Bible as to WHY they should SHUT THE HELL UP!

ACT NOW!

pleasenotethat"stopgivingacrap"isaregisteredtrademarkofMisanthropesInc.andallitssubsidaries.Getoutofblashphemycardsarenotguarenteed withanyCatholicorGreekorthodoxoranyProtestantchurchorganizationwithintheEarth'smagneticfield.

But seriously, it's the internet, if every death threat was sincere and a viable threat, overpopulation would be a non-issue and any Martial Art would see a 100% increase to incomes.