Ever read a book so bad that you actaully stopped reading?

gostchiken

Aug 22, 2009
I certainly wanted to stop reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, but alas it was required reading for school... it made me sad :(

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I made it through Vince Flynn's term limits. But only barely. The good guys are so good they remain good even though it's hard to tell them apart from the villians judging by their actions, the main character is a Gary Stu to boot, the plot makes a hard right halfway through, and the writing style is wonky. And it preaches about the evils of the federal deficit and how violence is always the answer.

Other then that nothing stands out. Besides the Sword of Truth, of course.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Mcoffey said:
The Eye of the Dragon, by Stephen King. It's one of his earlier ones and it's pretty shitty.

Haunted, by Chuck Palanuik I stopped about halfway through when I realized I hated every single character (They were all horrible people) and no longer cared what happened to them.
Ironically thats probably the only Stephan King book i've ever actually enjoyed; and i've read quite a few of them over the years.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
It was one of the Dark Tower books. I don't remember which. They were all so bad.

I WOULD have stopped during this Oprah's book club pile of shit called "The Wedding", except it was for summer reading so I didn't have that option. :/

And I rarely stop reading a book, even when I hate it. Once I start a book, I feel it is my duty to finish it, which is especially crippling if I've started a book SERIES that is bad. Because even though it's so bad and I hate it, I still feel that I have to finish it. So for me to stop reading a book really says a lot about just how much I hated it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
DJDarque said:
I will probably catch a lot of shit for this, but Lord of the Rings.
I liked The Hobbit and made it through Fellowship and Return of the King but Two Towers was freaking horrible. It took me three tries to get through the entire thing and from what I remember, it seemed really unnecessary. I really dislike Lord of the Rings...

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Sagacious Zhu said:
Bonfire of the Vanities (1/4 of the way through)
Atlas Shrugged (Half-way through John Galt's speech)
Breaking Dawn (Up until the werewolf falls in love with the hell-fetus)
The Jungle (After the third unspeakable tragedy visited on the poor of New York, it gets old)
Pride and Prejudice (Four Chapters in)
O god, pride and prejudice... i forgot about that.

You know considering how notoriously androcentric society was in the 19th century, the euro-american art and literature of the time is shockingly.... how to put this.... estrogenic.

Twain, Poe, Dickens, and Dickenson are the only ones i can really think of off the top of my head that had a more masculine prose.

^possibly the most ridiculously pretentious thing i've ever written. I almost feel dirty for saying it. My literature teachers would be proud.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
There are some books I've just drifted off and didn't finish, but I can think of only two that I intentionally stopped reading out of sheer dislike.
One was some book about Star Trek, which I stopped because it was obvious that the author hadn't actually watched Star Trek.
The other, which should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone, was Twilight. On a dare from a female friend of mine, I started reading it. I got to page 10 and threw the book out the window.* Periodically throughout the evening, I would crack it open, read a line and slam it shut again.
The style's what really killed it for me, as I didn't really get far enough to encounter any real characterization or plot (though I hear that I'd have to read a completely different book by a completely different author to find either of those.) It was all tell, tell, tell: there wasn't any showing, no sense of getting to know this chick. You shouldn't just have her say she's clumsy: put her in a situation where it becomes relevant (her new friends invite her to a volleyball game and she trips up.)
D-, see me after class.

*No actual defenestration took place.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
I'm an on again, off again fan of Warhammer 40,000, but I cannot read any of their books. They're so poorly written it makes my head hurt.
I don't suppose anyone has suggested to you, or you have tried reading the novels about Gaunt's Ghosts? I'm kind of meh on the 40k front for the most part, but my boyfriend told me the fluff of Gaunt's Ghosts, and it sounded cool enough to try it out. He had the first omnibus, and I got hooked hard. I bought the second one, which I am currently working on. The thing that's great about it is that it doesn't even have to be 40k, it could be a completely original sci-fi setting thought up by the author, and it would still be an amazingly well-written piece of militaristic sci-fi literature. I used to not give even the slightest shit about the Imperial Guard, and now I love them.

t-money

Jun 15, 2011
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. Randomly jumping between the narrative and philosophical ramblings... paragraphs that last two full pages... My God do I hate it, but I think I have to force myself to finish it for school.

Feb 13, 2008
t-money said:
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. Randomly jumping between the narrative and philosophical ramblings... paragraphs that last two full pages... My God do I hate it, but I think I have to force myself to finish it for school.
Now you, I have to kill. One of the greatest books ever.

Dammit, gonna have to stop reading this thread now...

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
gostchiken said:
I certainly wanted to stop reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, but alas it was required reading for school... it made me sad :(
So i was about to post that i've never actually successfully finished an Ayn Rand book, and how i think the only people who can do so of their own free will are those who buy into her political philosophy because the books are utterly lacking any literary merit.

But then it occurred to me, that there is another author thats exactly the same way and I'm frankly shocked that none of his horrendously terrible 'novels' have shown up in this thread.

Scientology: A History of Man. by L Ron Hubbard is in fact the worst book i have ever had the misfortune of laying eyes upon.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
daftalchemist said:
SnakeoilSage said:
I'm an on again, off again fan of Warhammer 40,000, but I cannot read any of their books. They're so poorly written it makes my head hurt.
I don't suppose anyone has suggested to you, or you have tried reading the novels about Gaunt's Ghosts? I'm kind of meh on the 40k front for the most part, but my boyfriend told me the fluff of Gaunt's Ghosts, and it sounded cool enough to try it out. He had the first omnibus, and I got hooked hard. I bought the second one, which I am currently working on. The thing that's great about it is that it doesn't even have to be 40k, it could be a completely original sci-fi setting thought up by the author, and it would still be an amazingly well-written piece of militaristic sci-fi literature. I used to not give even the slightest shit about the Imperial Guard, and now I love them.
I have heard some good things about Gaunt's Ghosts, but I've heard "good things" about a lot of Warhammer 40K books. I'm sorry, but at the risk of alienating myself from the setting (and it's fans) altogether: Dan Abnett is the most overrated hack I've ever read. His work isn't bad, it isn't offensive. It's boring.

I would say that's just my opinion.

Conversely I'm a huge fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I love it. Yes, it's full of cliches and melodrama. Yes, it's a campy, and cheesy, and nerdy. But the stories are fun. There hasn't been a single one of those books that hasn't moved me to blubbery joyful geek-tears because of how fun it is.

t-money

Jun 15, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
t-money said:

If you want to kill me, just read Zen at me.

But seriously, I can see why someone might like it but... me, not so much.

Aug 1, 2010
Only two.

Eldest. I rather like Eragon, but the sequel was so utterly dull I couldn't get 50 pages.

Halo Forerunners: Cryptum. Never before have I had fanboy rage like I did reading that FUCKING ATROCITY. I am one of the biggest Halo fans out there and this book is like what hardcore StarWars fans must have when they saw Episode 1.

And now they want to work it and it's sequels into the proper continuity.

[image/]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WBzAtKXx_HM/Syz4SY9jsVI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/9GXiHYVdGXg/s320/FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-.JPG[/IMG]

Feb 13, 2008
t-money said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
t-money said:

If you want to kill me, just read Zen at me.

But seriously, I can see why someone might like it but... me, not so much.
It's not a BAD book though. I can see how you might not want to get into it...just... but in no way is it even comparable to Twiglet or any of that ilk.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Anthem is interesting at first, but I was ultimately unable to finish it owing to how heavy-handed it is.

Netgearer22

Feb 3, 2011
Three words: The Seperate Piece Ugh, story about all male school and how one guy is jealous of his friend and thinks he is trying to upstage him but isn't another friend goes to war and ditches, just ugh. It is sad how the most interesting part of the story is when the only character you will actually like in it dies...something is very wrong there.