Ever watch a bad movie on purpose?

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
This is the end. Truly awful movie. I knew going in it was going to be horrid. Yet I still watched it because there was something that just compelled me from closing it on my screen :|

curintedery

Sep 8, 2010
I watched Bangkok Dangerous because I had lied to a friend and told him I really enjoyed it, and he ripped the shit out of me so I decided I better actually watch it... Geez that film was rubbish...

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Erm... do Rifftrax count? I'm certain I would not have been able to watch Dragon Wars or The Room or The Last Airbender without them.
Outside of those, I don't think I've really watched an objectively bad movie all the way through. There were a couple instances where someone else was watching a bad movie and I had to get up and leave the room.

Right E O

Mar 19, 2010
Im a huge fan of bad movies, to the point where it really is starting to overtake good movies. Honestly, if I had to rate my top 10 films based on which ones I want to watch right now, Southland Tales and Moonraker would be past every other good film I saw.
I think I just cant hate movies. I end up respecting the film maker and just having a good time watching just about anything. The only I cant stand are movies that play out too slowly. Sure Manos the Hands of Fate and The Room are bad, but they are just as boring to me as any slow moving "classic".

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Souplex said:
I watched Son of the Mask to have a baseline to measure bad films by.
I want to see Freddy Got Fingered, but I can't get my friends to sit down for it.
Freddy Got Fingered is a genuinely funny movie if you find Tom Green funny and random at all.

I can't watch this scene without breaking down into hysterical laughter. If you laugh too, it probably doesn't count for this thread.

OT: I do seek out bad movies, but I'm always hoping they still will be funny bad. I can't remember the last time I felt like I was being masochistic.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
The Last Airbender

I heard all the bad reviews, my friends who saw it before me said it was so bad it drove them to drinking afterwards(not something we normally do), so watching it was a share their suffering sort of thing.

And man did I suffer. Simply put: all the negative reviews were right, it totally deserved it's "Worst Movie Of The Year", and it's on the top 5 worst movies I've ever seen list.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Do I watch bad movies?!

In the not-too-distant future...

Yeah, plenty of times, and I riff the ones that aren't an episode of MST3K like a pro.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, the thing is, I can't know whether it's a bad movie untill I've watched it. Some movies I know to stay the fuck away from, like Sex in the City, but some I just check out to see what all the fuss is about.

Like when I sat down and watched John Carter...

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
yes, to both doing it for amusement and for torture. there are some i just can't (i tried watching breaking wind, a parody of breaking dawn, and got 15 minutes in and just couldn't continue) but i managed to get through meet the spartans and superhero movie fairly recently, which i'm... proud of?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Tiamattt said:
The Last Airbender

I heard all the bad reviews, my friends who saw it before me said it was so bad it drove them to drinking afterwards(not something we normally do), so watching it was a share their suffering sort of thing.

And man did I suffer. Simply put: all the negative reviews were right, it totally deserved it's "Worst Movie Of The Year", and it's on the top 5 worst movies I've ever seen list.
Same for me. I watched to see just how bad it was....and it was bad.
Not even an entertaining kind of bad, just boring. And I knew full well how bad it was suppose to be.

I'm thinking about watching Movie 43, becuase I'm so morbidly curious.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Souplex said:
I watched Son of the Mask to have a baseline to measure bad films by.
I want to see Freddy Got Fingered, but I can't get my friends to sit down for it.
Son of the Mask... How is it possible for a movie to butcher both mythology and the original movie sonsoundly while also being blatantly unfunny at the same time? I enjoy light hearted, stupid comedy and I like a lot of movies people consider to be crap. This thing had pretty much nothing to make it funny. The things supposed to be fun fell short, the things that were supposed to be serious was made too silly to be taken seriously and the plot felt like it was held together with gum and strings at best. Awful movie.

OT: I don't watch bad movies on purpose under your restrictions. I have watched a few movies knowing they would be terrible, but always for a reason other than torture.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
bartholen said:
Snippity snip snip
So, watch bad movies to help appreciate good ones? I can somewhat see how that logic works. But then some people would respond "Why do I have to taste brussel sprouts to know that I like chocolate?", which I kinda agree with too...

I don't make a habit of it anyway. The only time I remember intending to watch something I KNEW I wouldn't like was Kidulthood;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435680/

I really hated this movie, and I knew I would. The reason was I was doing an A level in media and we were studying "social realism"... I discovered that I freaking hate social realism -.-

Shoggoth2588 said:
...I watched REPO: The Genetic Opera more than once in a vein attempt to convince myself it wasn't terrible. I'm sorry Jim I just didn't like this movie (Sarah Brightman couldn't save it for me).
I actually liked Repo :S Quite a bit... it was refreshingly different.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Star Trek: Into Darkness

I knew it would be awful even though I kinda liked STXI, and it was exactly what I thought it would be (actually worse). I'm an avid ST fan and needed to complete the canon but god, that was painful to sit through.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Auron225 said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
...I watched REPO: The Genetic Opera more than once in a vein attempt to convince myself it wasn't terrible. I'm sorry Jim I just didn't like this movie (Sarah Brightman couldn't save it for me).
I actually liked Repo :S Quite a bit... it was refreshingly different.
I get this a lot. I watched Jim's "Movie Defense Force" about it and can't disagree with his points. I think I've shocked my friends by saying how much I dislike the movie too but, I just can't get into it. I watched the thing a few times, have a portion of "Mark it Up" stuck in my brain but overall I just can't sit through the movie.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
No... Not that I have never seen a bad movie, mind you.

I have seen bad movies unintentionally (not knowing they were bad beforehand), or intentionally (having heard a movie is bad, but not truly believing it and needing to confirm it); but I don't rewatch movies that I know, personally, that are bad.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Star Trek: Into Darkness

I knew it would be awful even though I kinda liked STXI, and it was exactly what I thought it would be (actually worse). I'm an avid ST fan and needed to complete the canon but god, that was painful to sit through.
I kinda liked STXI too, but I really hated STID. There was no reason to do Khan, especially as he doesn't have any of the stakes or backstory which make the original Wrath of Khan so brilliant. My mates really enjoyed it, and I had to explain that the reason they did was because they hadn't seen WoK.

The animated Titanic film with the rapping dog. I also tweeted along to it. A lot of my followers were VERY confused and eager to find out more. I knew it would be bad, but wow...

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah. I watched The Hangover because I found the sequel on Netflix.
Awful fucking movie that didn't even get a smirk out of me. Still watched that shit.
In spite of that I saw the second one. Same fucking plot, pretty much the same events. Once again no laughs and I hated myself for wasting my time. When I learned they had made a third one I decided to not even give it a chance.

Watched them because I love Zack Galifianakis in Between Two Ferns and hoped his role would be simular. It was however extremely obvious that his role was ment for Jack Black. In the sequel he was closer to BTF, but the transition from the first movie didn't make any sense so he was just a fucking wanker without any of the fun.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I watched Tips Toes on purpose. It was definitely bad, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. It was actually kind of funny. The studio must have really buried it when it came out, because I hadn't even heard of it until Daniel Tosh gave a summary on it.

Normally I avoid obviously awful movies though.