Ever Watched A TV Episode That Pissed You Off So Much You Quit Watching The Series?

Nov 28, 2007
Tufty94 said:
The second episode of Game of Thrones. I don't mind when one character is annoying while the rest are likable (Skyler in Breaking Bad), but every character was imminently unlikable in Game of Thrones.
How was Jon Snow unlikeable? How was Tyrion unlikeable? I'm not being sarcastic, by the way. I haven't seen the show, but I am more than halfway through the second book, so I'd like to hear your perspective, as those are two of my favorite characters.

Edit: Also, Dany/Daenerys and Ned/Eddard Stark. How are they unlikeable?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Prison Break
Currently(though doubt I'll watch much more) in the beginning of the third season, and I'm just sick of how the plot moves in the serie:
Brilliant plan
Something goes wrong
Solved by the last minute
Something goes horribly wrong again as a cliffhanger, most often
etcetcetc

Pretty common on most long running shows, but that's how it's been since the first one and it gets sickening fast since it's so damn obvious. They should've just done the 13 episodes(or it is 12) it was planned for... The only thing that makes the show work is T-Bag - though it's hard to root for a rapist pedophile.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I didn't exactly quit it, but I certainly stopped watching The Simpsons for awhile after their infamous Ke$he couch gag.

demonflowers

Dec 4, 2010
Supernatural got ruined for me because of a character: Bela. I know she's only in like 10 episodes, but I hate her so much I just can't make it through them.

The Mentalist. Season 4, Episode 1. I loved the way season 3 ended, but the way season 4 started made me RAGE.

Lost Season 2 is just bland. I've tried to get through it twice and just can't bring myself to care.

Heroes. What happened with Sylar at the end of Season 1. The whole point of the first season was "Save the cheerleader, save the world", and what happened with him completely undermined everything that season had been working towards.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
Doctor Who Season 7 has almost, but not quite done it for me. The standalone episodes, especially the non-Moffat written ones have been great, but dear God that man has lost sight of both scope and pacing.

And so on and so on. I still watch it for the standalones, and because Matt Smith still kicks plenty amounts of ass, but with episodes like that and "Asylum of the Daleks", Moffat is really pushing the limits on the amount of B.S. I will stand.
Yes! Thank you so much. I've never actually encountered another who realises Moffat specifically has lost his touch and that the other episodes are pretty good. It's usually either "omg moffat is amazing" or "wtf they all sucked". I kind of liked the Snowmen though, because Moffat remembered the show he was writing for actually had a history.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
So I just watched the season finale of The Clone Wars, and the reveal was just as moronic as I thought it would be. Barriss turns to the dark side because "The Republic is corrupt, and the jedi are nothing but murderers who started this war!"

So the obvious solution is to then blow up the Jedi temple, murder your friends and family and then try to blame it on your best friend while you run around cackling like a madwoman? For fuck's sakes, nothing about this whole plot had anything to do with Barriss as a character. It could have been any Jedi and it would still be fucking stupid. Making it Barriss was just an insult to anyone who knows about her character. It isn't like she was defined by anything in the tv show. She hadn't shown up since season 2 for goodness sake.
Hang on, don't you see her die in Revenge of the Sith though? You know, as a Jedi and not a Sith/Dark side person? I know Clone Wars and RotS don't really mesh very well in terms of continuity, but that's a pretty big thing to retcon.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
This show... it was so unfunny it made me angry, which has never happened before. Laugh track used and everything. But luckily it was canceled after like 3 episodes

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
The Walking Dead. Season 2. Mother F*CKING CARL! If I ever have a child that useless that gets my friends killed, I will throw him to the horde with a smile on my face.

[sub] I miss Dale. [/sub]

vid87

May 17, 2010
I don't really watch a lot of TV, but 2 shows stick out:

1)Family Guy (sort've) - I loved for a few seasons, but the recent ones are focusing a lot on stupid shock humor with no real punchline or meaning (especially with the increased gore, which I noticed many of the adult cartoons go for when they upgrade their animation). The one where I vowed I'd never watch the show again (though it was ultimately a hollow promise) was a gag where a school bus crashes into a lake and the reporter reads the stupid tweets from the teens as police pull the bodies from the wreckage. Odd how that's the low-point for me when I can tolerate (and honestly enjoy) a lot of other stupid stuff from the show, but somehow it crossed the line to me and I can't look at it the same way anymore.

2) I don't even watch this regularly, but Syfy's "Warehouse 13" had one that was amazingly stupid: 2 magic artifact hunters, man and woman, come across an item that grants wishes. He wishes he could start a relationship with her and she magically becomes pregnant. After solving a kidnapping, he reverses the wish before the woman, rapidly gestating, delivers the baby.

The implications are so mind-boggling I don't know how it ended up on screen: accidental rape, stereotyping pregnancies as "she's crazy, pissed, and hungry," and, of course, infanticide. I'm not a dedicated pro-life person and wouldn't harp on it the way some would, but it's really creepy - it's not just that the baby was real, regardless of how it came to be, but the two CELEBRATE that it's gone, especially the woman, who cheers that she's "got her figure back." I'm not even saying they should've been forced to have the kid, but I didn't see if the characters talked about it at the very end and it just seems so callous and dismissive of what was obviously a pretty dark moment. For the most part the writers seem like they really weren't paying attention and ended up creating one of the creepiest scenarios I've ever seen on TV.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Ned is cool. Dany has done absolutely nothing to win my cool approval. Even in the books, she's generally fucked up everything she's done, and I am always glad when her chapters are over.
For the record, though, she has a couple of cool support characters (Jorah and Barristan, to be specific).

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
crazyarms33 said:
The Walking Dead. Season 2. Mother F*CKING CARL! If I ever have a child that useless that gets my friends killed, I will throw him to the horde with a smile on my face.

[sub] I miss Dale. [/sub]
I felt the same way but now Carl's pretty damn awesome in Season 3.

Nov 28, 2007
debtcollector said:
Ned is cool. Dany has done absolutely nothing to win my cool approval. Even in the books, she's generally fucked up everything she's done, and I am always glad when her chapters are over.
For the record, though, she has a couple of cool support characters (Jorah and Barristan, to be specific).
I agree with you about Dany, to a degree, but there is a difference between being ineffective and a screw-up and being, as the person I quoted put it, "imminently unlikeable". Again, though, he only gave it two episodes, so maybe there was a lot more characterization he missed that watching further would have provided.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
SuperSamio64 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So I just watched the season finale of The Clone Wars, and the reveal was just as moronic as I thought it would be. Barriss turns to the dark side because "The Republic is corrupt, and the jedi are nothing but murderers who started this war!"

So the obvious solution is to then blow up the Jedi temple, murder your friends and family and then try to blame it on your best friend while you run around cackling like a madwoman? For fuck's sakes, nothing about this whole plot had anything to do with Barriss as a character. It could have been any Jedi and it would still be fucking stupid. Making it Barriss was just an insult to anyone who knows about her character. It isn't like she was defined by anything in the tv show. She hadn't shown up since season 2 for goodness sake.
Hang on, don't you see her die in Revenge of the Sith though? You know, as a Jedi and not a Sith/Dark side person? I know Clone Wars and RotS don't really mesh very well in terms of continuity, but that's a pretty big thing to retcon.
Barriss Offee does not appear in Revenge of the Sith, however, she was shown dying in the ROTS comic.

Another offender on The Clone Wars was how they killed off Adi Gallia. In the comic Obsession, this happened.

But in The Clone Wars, she is killed by Savage Oppress, robbing Grievous of another Jedi kill. By the time the show is over the only kill Grievous will have is that damn Mon Calamari from Season 1 and Captain Tarpals.

The Clone Wars Tv show is running on the logic that, if you didn't see them die in the movies, they're fair game to do whatever the fuck they want with the character, regardless of how it affects other tie in material. The worst part about it however, is that, for Barriss, her motivation was completely at odds with everything we know about her. Whenever a jedi turns to the Dark side on the show, rather than it being some crafty plot or simply the result of doubting their cause, it is instead some lame ass excuse along the lines of "because I'm evil!"

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Both Heroes and Lost managed to piss me off enough that I skipped entire seasons, only to try again once the confirmed last seasons popped up. With both, I really wanted to like them, but after a couple of episodes that were obviously patched together like TV sets or churches in Madascar, I felt bad for all the actors involved. Some of them really put some effort into that nonsense.

Having no emotional connection or any expectations, I was rather amused at the heavy dose of random bullshit I saw myself confronted with. I liked other series where it was quite obvious that they were making shit up as they went along. People like David Lynch can pull it off and inspire people to really achieve and create something out of nothing. I loved Twin Peaks, still do. Lost got quite lost and entangled pretty soon, while Heroes just fell apart. It's not a good sign when, eventually, you find yourself rooting for the bad guy, hoping he'd kill every single one of those supposed heroes because they annnoy or bore the milk out of your tits.

I found it easy to enjoy Chuck, even though it was quite stupid from the get-go. I think it was cute and quite entertaining, and most of the actors' efforts were worthwhile. Eventually, it got just too silly and romantic and generally decadent and uninspired, so I completely missed large portions of it - without actually missing them.

I think it's a shame they killed off Reaper.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
The Season 3 Finale of MLP:FiM. In all of the shows run, not a single episode was worse then this. The show is officially dead to me.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
debtcollector said:
Second season of the Walking Dead. After they spent the entire first half looking for the same girl, I realized that the writers were pretty much making stuff up as they went.
Also, second season of Sword Art Online. I could have handled it if they had just used different characters, but nope! The strong female protagonist is reduced to a princess in a cage, the main character who went through hell to escape his virtual prison happily dives into another one, and the villain is some pervert who wants to marry a comatose girl and also calls himself the "King of the Fairies" in his spare time. What went wrong?!
Finally, not a TV show, but I stopped reading Critical Miss after the writers thought that they could do a continual narrative with character drama. They can't. (Protip: Character growth is important if there is a continuity, and making your protagonist evolve past being a self-centered insufferable ***** would be a good first step. On a similar note, don't make the moral of your story arc be "Continue being a self-centered insufferable ***** who uncaringly hurts other people because that's who you are .")
I heard that season two was Robert Kirkman stepping in, the writers had a completely different idea of what to do with season 2, but he wouldn't have it. I hear season 3 gets back on track.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Happiness Assassin said:
Hannibal942 said:
I'm American and I don't understand ginger jokes. I really don't fucking get why they're reviled. Because....they have red hair and freckles? To be fair, the show you describe seems to be making fun of this attitude, ridiculing ginger hatred by presenting the logical extreme. It's hard for me to take that scene seriously from my point of view.
Really? You don't know. It is because of South Park. There is no real reason beyond the fact that Cartman said gingers don't have souls. It really is that simple.

OT: I quit watching the Walking Dead for a while part way into season 2, though I did get back into it with season 3. Considering the fact that I have a full grasp of everything going on now, it seems I didn't miss much.
I always assumed that episode was symptom. So you're telling me that this joke about gingers didn't exist before South Park? I have a hard time believing Matt Stone and Trey Parker created that joke in a vacuum.

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
Elementary, episode 5.
I had major issues with the show before then but it was episode 5 that killed it for me.
Sherlock is supposed to be brilliant. That is the point. But he should not be sourounded my idiots who couldn't solve 'the case of how the cat got up the tree'. I found every episode to be far to simple to figure out what was happening (for some episodes, the first 10 minustes simple) and then spent the rest of the time watching everybody be stupid and sherlock look for obvious clues. Crap show, I want BBC's Sherlock.