Evolution...?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well I don't know, but the most likely answer is "being dead". The only thing that'd really have any impact on culling the gene pool is a huge cataclysmic event, which would be more likely to wipe us all out. Remember that on the evolutionary tree there are a hell of a lot more dead animals than live ones.

Actually, a slight immunity to some huge, deadly, contagious disease. Obviously some of us may have it already but then when the event happens only those with the resistence will survive. How dull, I wish it were wings.

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Good question, most of us a in perfect living environments, as in we don't need to better protect ourselves, run faster, or have more brain power.... It could be anything. I hope the pinky toes go though. Those bastards keep getting stubbed on the coffee table, AND I AM SICK OF IT.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Flimsii said:
evolution requires isolation of two groups in the same species
Eek. Sorry that's just wrong, while that is one of the situations in which different species would eventually form, that isn't the only way species evolve.

Droa

Aug 1, 2009
Eugh, this type of thing. Evolution is incredibly complex to try an say what the "next step in humanity" is, however the whole "survival of the fittest" was the incredibly simple version of what was actually said. Evolution, the small changes over time that help species to survive in new environments can work towards both ends of the spectrum i.e sickle cell anemia still being around, primarily in High Malaria areas as it helps survival but generally causes low life expectancy and breathing problems is a decent example of "bad mutations" with benefits. so the next step in evolution of humanity could in our eyes be a step backwards, you want wings? then enjoy having hollow bones that would have to be brittle. swimming under the oceans with gills an such? then good bye to dry land life as well as most likely other problems dealing with the many many many other conditions of sea life. Granted me saying that could still just as easily be wrong, unless you believe in reincarnation though, we wont be seeing interesting things like that this millennium :p

If I wasn't thinking scientifically then I would love to be able to survive under the sea, maybe some cool elbow spikes for defence etc.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I've actually thought about this before, i think humans will grow longer fingers, possibly taller and skinnier too. I think we might grow smarter again but maybe not. I don't really know timewise but I'd say that'd happen pretty soon(evolutionary speaking).

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Skullkid4187 said:
Get this in the politics section....nothing good will happen if you have it in off topic..
Why? This thread has nothing to do with politics nor religion.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Dana22 said:
NeedAUserName said:
We won't evolve anymore. We've reached a point were instead of adapting to our surroundings, our surroundings adapt to us.
We will, but we probably wont live enough to see it because evolution is too long process. I mean, Homo Sapiens is 200k years old.
Plus, the effects wouldn't be so visible. Im thinking, further reduction of vestigial organs, and maybe adding some more to the list like Thymus. Adaptation of Lugs to the higher amount of co2 in atmosphere. Increased size of Neurocranium to fit bigger brains. Things like that.
actually the earliest remains of organisms we can class as Homo sapiens are roughly 50k years old, so thats even less time for significant evolution.

but your second point is comepletely true in that the changes wont be too visible. for example a Neanderthal actually looks almost identical to a Homo sapiens except we are very slightly more slender. but evolution still happens, for example over the past few thousand years, women seem to be more easily woken by higher pitched noises to wake to the sound of a baby's cry, the evolution we are doing is merely how our organs are slightly adapting and changing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, the thing is that evolutions tend to appear in favor of adapting to the way things are in an environment. Things in the dark depend less on eyesight, or have such a developed sight that they see in the dark, say. Human beings decided we like putting on coats, living in created structures, and burning things...so we may not see any significant changes for a long time.

Where is nature challenging us to evolve if we throw an invention in its path? Soon, we will move mountains and reshape the planet as we want. There will be no need to evolve new physical traits if there is no need to adapt. The one thing that may see greater changes is the capacity of the brain, or perhaps the immune system...since viruses and bacteria continue to evolve. Yes...

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
we wont. i'd like to imagine that we would turn into something amazing, but i doubt it. If you look at it, we cut down forests, create warm houses, make islands/peninsulas, all to suit our needs, so like NeedAUserName has already said:
NeedAUserName said:
instead of adapting to our surroundings, our surroundings adapt to us.
Plus (this is a harsh way of looking at it) we have quit evolutions test, or at least cheated. We use Science and medical technology to make people survive a disease or injury that would have killed them in the "wild". So instead of having the weak dying off and only humans with the preferable genes breeding, we are allowing the genetically weaker people to "piss in the gene pool" (again, this is just a harsh way of looking at it)

Though, if we do adapt and change, we would most likely see the disappearance of the pinky toe and the appendix (or maybe have them evolve a use)

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
We won't evolve anymore. We've reached a point were instead of adapting to our surroundings, our surroundings adapt to us.
Humans do not stop evolving JUST because we no longer have a natural predator. Small, unnecessary things (the remains of our tails, that stubble at the end of our spine) and stuff like that. Not too mention the brain, as with increased education and technology our brains get much more stimulation than before, thus our brains become more advanced.

Romidude said:
I believe what is used most are the parts that will change the most during evolution, our penises and fists will evolve and become much more advanced, while our brains will wither away.
Time traveller said:
Ahahahaha! bow down before my advanced penis

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Probably something like larger brain functions and capabilities, but then it's all really unknown, evolution has many, many factors.

Also, it's not like humanity last evolved at one single point, evolution is a slow process that, really, is happening all the time with all the genetic variation being exchanged, rather large changes (scientifically speaking) probably won't be very drastic or noticeable, let alone some kind of momentous occasion. It's not like Homo Sapiens will reach level 16 and evolve into Homo Superior.

Good to also remember that evolution does not bring about perfection, Humans are farther from perfection as the rest of the species on this planet, and those that come after us, hundreds of thousands of years later- will be no more perfect than we are.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Maze1125 said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Get this in the politics section....nothing good will happen if you have it in off topic..
it IS a political topic that gets often discussed in the politics section.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Maze1125 said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Evolution in itself doesn't have aything to do with politics, and neither does the purpose of this thread.

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I personally think that we will either evolve to kill eachother off, or we'll simply build our next step in evolution.

Or lastly, we will get outgrown and killed off by a natural predator we never saw coming. We'll never know untill it is upon us.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Boneasse said:
So Earth has been around for a pretty long time, yea? Scientists and other good folk have traced the evolution of man, among other things, back to several millenia ago.

Whether primates were our ancestors or not, or we came from the sea originally, humankind has evolved through the times and will (if we don't destroy our planet) continue to do so. But we're not perfect, and it has been a while since we last evolved.

So I pose this question, to you, my fellow Escapists;

What do you think will be the next step in the human evolution, and when will it happen?
[sub]Take a guess or give us some scientific mumbo-jumbo! Throw it out here.[/sub]

Edit: Can't be bothered to be scientific? Then just post what you think would be cool! That'll work too.
If anything, faster metabolisms to suit our relatively lazy life style from when Homo Sapiens Sapiens first appeared, possibly a larger cranial cavity, further reduction of the tail-bone and possible loss of the 5th toe.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
I really doubt that. Unless we institute a system of eugenics we'll still evolve and change and mutate.

I see a loss or broadening of immune and digestive functioinality as likely. Possibly even a loss of intelligence as our technology will eventually permit us to not to have to understand how to craft tools and the such.

arugulino

Dec 30, 2010
Boneasse said:
What do you think will be the next step in the human evolution, and when will it happen?
[sub]Take a guess or give us some scientific mumbo-jumbo! Throw it out here.[/sub]

Edit: Can't be bothered to be scientific? Then just post what you think would be cool! That'll work too.
Unless our environment changes drastically, it'll probably be behavioral selection that shapes our evolution, more than environmental. If we had to adapt to a Waterworld scenario, for example, we'd probably veer towards traits like improved water vision, etc, like the water gypsies of southeast Asia. But if the earth remains largely constant, we're probably looking at technology shaping our phenotypes, what with cyborg implants and chemical alterations to our memory functions, metabolisms, cell regeneration, and overall strength and intelligence. I think in the future we are generally more handsome, healthy, and smart. I think most of it will be accomplished through science, leaving little room for sexual selection to alter any trends. People will be generally satisfied with their neighbors as potential mates, because everyone will be sexy. That's probably where evolution is taking us, slightly towards a more outwardly homogenous humanity.

Telepathy would be cool though... and I think it's coming, but through tech.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Skullkid4187 said:
Maze1125 said:
Skullkid4187 said:
No it isn't.
Evolution can be political, yes, but so what? This has nothing to do with those political issues around it. This thread presupposes evolution is true and asks what happens to humans next assuming that, and that is not political in the slightest.

There are many political issues around money, but does that mean a thread asking how much people spend on chocolate each week should be placed in the politics section?