Excuse-O-Rama

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
MrCalavera said:
I still remember that Kamitani got his fair share of flak because of titillation in Dragon's Crown, though. But if people have finally moved on, that's cool.
Yes, Kojima hyped up the supposed explanation for Quiet's attire too much. And chopper yoga felt like pushing it too far, imho.
I have no interest in Halo and therefore Cortana¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The thing about Kamitani and Dragon's Crown is that all the characters had exaggerated bodies: the Fighter, the Amazon, the Dwarf, the Sorceress, and a bunch of npcs and enemies had huge muscles or big tits and small waists. Hell, vanillaware's entire game library had a pretty good ratio of male and female body designs. So at least they are fair and consistent, and the female characters still kicked a lot of ass themselves or weren't useless.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Areloch said:
1) Huh, didn't know that. I played the game with my friends, so we didn't really pay attention to the journals or the like. By 5 the story was total trash anyways, but that is a pretty lame explanation. Heck, it doesn't even explain why they had fully set up hut villages, so it's not even really an explanation at all.

2) Man, can we please have another attempt at a Raccoon City game with one of the characters rocking a kilt? Maybe using a claymore for their melee. That sounds awesome. (Also, to be fair on this point, the parasite in 5 was based on the Las Plagas from 4, not the T-Virus from the earlier games)

But yeah, that sounds like a case of trying to over-explain the entire thing and making it kinda dumber in the end (like my opinion about them trying to explain The Cobras or Psycho Mantis in MGS
You'll hear no disagreement from me. It was a pretty clear case of a Japanese developer coming up with a campy reason for a new enemy model, and being tone deaf of the implications they created, rather than being a case of intentional, spiteful racism. Hence why the aforementioned eye roll was my only real reaction to it, rather than quitting in disgust.

And I agree about kilts as well. Period dress can only improve your zombie apocalypse, provided your being even handed with it!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Areloch said:
So today I learned that there should never be an in-universe justification for anything people may not like.
You can still have an in-universe explanation while being frank about the motivation for a design choice in real life. The point is that it's ridiculous to pretend like the in-universe explanation is the ONLY reason for a designing the characterz this way, and not a shoe-horned justification.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
I'd say lots of things have in-universe explanations, even if the real explanation is a design decision. "Why are we using upright walking mechs? Well, we needed to put jammer fields on something and this is the design that worked the best for stability." "Why do all the aliens look similar to us? We all descend from and ancestral race that seeded worlds with life." etc. One doesn't need to look at the in-universe explanations as excuses, they are just there to flesh out behaviors that don't make sense without explanation. The real reason for the above would be "mechs are cool" and "costume budgets and relatability".

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Olas said:
Areloch said:
So today I learned that there should never be an in-universe justification for anything people may not like.
You can still have an in-universe explanation while being frank about the motivation for a design choice in real life. The point is that it's ridiculous to pretend like the in-universe explanation is the ONLY reason for a designing the characterz this way, and not a shoe-horned justification.
Sure, unless the writer actually just wrote the character as the character would wear/do/behave.

If I wrote a character in a story, who's personality is heavy on the "needlessly needs to prove how tough he is", it'd make perfect sense in-character for the dude to (at least try) to be in an arctic environment without a shirt. My choice on having the character shirtless, even in a cold environment wouldn't have any reason beyond "well, it'd be in character". In my hypothetical there, it wasn't some sneaky ploy to get sexy shirtless men in the story, it's because "Well yeah, it's kinda stupid, but that's how Ted rolls".

So why can't the in-universe justification itself be sufficient? Because that seems to be the running theme for a lot of people in this thread, that "Of COURSE writers can't add anything just because it's part of the story/fits the character. It HAS to be some kind of subversive ploy!"

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Furnicula said:
NeoGAF even went as far as to claim that having sexy action figures made somehow constitutes "sexual harassment" and they were about to go contact and harass Stefani Joosten about it:
Well, that's pretty unfair from NeoGAF, I think... wait, what does it say there? "Quiet figurine features squishable boobs"? Oh, that's so silly and tacky that I can't type with a straight face. No way to take that nor any controversy around it seriously now.

Squishable...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Except George Kamitani doesn't have the entire media sphere AND the companies they work for watching their every single move, tweet, and reply like Frank O' Connor and Hideo Kojima. So they're really not applicable. Both of them have so much more to lose than Kamitani.

Also, I don't remember Bungie or 343 ever giving an explanation for Cortana's bareness.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
The Wooster said:
sumanoskae said:
Were I designing the game I'd say the exact same thing; you don't have to apologize for what you like. I find the idea that titillating design is somehow inherently degrading of it's subject to be troubling; it smacks of puritanism.
It's not inherently degrading (see characters like Queen of Pain, Bayonetta, Kaine, Juliet from Lollipop Chainsaw, etc, all great, all sexualized in a way that fits their character), but it's a creative decision that carries weight and like any tool in an artist's toolbox, it can be used incorrectly or inappropriately.
That's true, but that's not how people behave. They behave as though it's the most important decision a designer can make; as if it's presence alone can totally devalue a character or a game.

I've encountered at least one person who swore off a whole series of games because he thought the design of the female characters was too uniform and too sexual.

Toxtle

Nov 10, 2011
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I never post on these forums but this comic is just too good. I hate seeing all the man children on reddit defending Kojima's lame excuse. Just say you like tits why what the hell is wrong with that?

"No, no you see she breathes through her skin!"

"Like the End who was fully clothed?"

"Uh, Uh... You damn SJW!" :/

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
I haven't played MGSV (partially due to story spoilers i've heard i don't like, might get it if/when it is on sale), Dragon's Crown (don't like the art style, and even if i did, not my type of game) or any of the Halo's past 2 (could not get 3rd on pc, lost interest), but...

I don't really mind half naked women in video games (though i will point them out when they seem out of place in the context).
But the explanation for both Cortana and Quiet, seem pretty stupid.
Explanation for the Sorcerer is not all that great, but atleast it is within the general aesthetic of the game, and the explanation (i like tits) is a honest one.

If you want to have a character go around half naked, then that half nakedness should fit the character, either through context of the situation the character is in, or the personality that the character has.
If they are half naked just for fan service, either come up with a decent explanation, or just outright admit that it's for fan service, half baked explanations are just insulting to the listener.

In 2 out of 3 cases here, i know of them mostly due to response to criticism, instead of the actual criticism.
(my impression of what happened, so i may have missed things)

Dragon's Crown:
Critic says the art is juvenile, artists implies the critic is gay (critic and artist later reconcile)

MGSV:
Critics think sniper wearing a bikini is silly/stupid/just there for fanservice, Kojima says it is for plot reasons and critics will regret their words when they find out why.
Critics find out why, and the reason is stupid/silly, Kojima later clarifies that it is purely for fanservice

As for Halo and naked cortana.
I heard about it, went "WTF?", and moved on not really caring nor hearing anything about it afterwards.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I support this approach. Own it. Say you like tits. You can say there's an in-universe justification for a character being a Miss Universe (hell, it might even be a good one, like Miranda Lawson in ME2), but if someone doubts you, it's okay to admit to the reality. Just don't be a perv or a creep about it. The two are not mutually inclusive.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
I would even go as far as saying, that the design of the Sorceress fits Dragon's Crown better than the designs of Quiet and Cortana in their respective games. The Characters in Dragon's Crown are all designed in an over the top way, and each one is unique (the Barbarian with her thunder thigs, the slightly androgynous elven archer and the knight, who clearly skipped leg day). It might even be less gratuitious than the other games, since the Sorceress was designed that way to fit the character. In the other games it was just "yay for tits".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
MrCalavera said:
I still remember that Kamitani got his fair share of flak because of tillitation in Dragon's Crown, though. But if people have finally moved on, that's cool.
Yes, Kojima hyped up the supposed explanation for Quiet's attire too much. And chopper yoga felt like pushing it too far, imho.
I have no interest in Halo and therefore Cortana¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think a good deal of the backlash might have been from the fact that when someone initially criticized his design, his response was to essentially call the critic gay, sending him a drawing of three big burly men and saying "Maybe you'd prefer this?" Not exactly a mature response.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
In "PC gone mad" country they don't have the spine to say "because I want them to be sexy."

In "PC? What's that?" country they don't need to grovel to the permanently angry and offended internet people.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Czann said:
In "PC gone mad" country they don't have the spine to say "because I want them to be sexy."

In "PC? What's that?" country they don't need to grovel to the permanently angry and offended internet people.
Yeah sure man that's what it's about. Political correctness is the sole reason we like to have a range of body types and realistic portrayal of women in our fiction. It's not about representing reality or giving people relatable characters. The only possible objection we could have to blatant fanservice is "political correctness."

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
The Wooster said:
I'd rather be told that than fed bullshit, to be honest. "We're largely looking for a male audience" isn't great PR, but it's honest. "WOMEN ARE HARD TO ANIMATE," is the kind of shit that genuinely makes people angry.
Actually - they are. But only because of male oversaturation in animation, and most animators being male and knowing how their own bodies move internally and externally. But that shouldn't be an issue for an AAA studio.

That said, males are much harder to draw than females due to greater muscle definition making their bodies more 'noisy', and unattractive people of either gender are harder still.
Thyunda said:
Czann said:

Yeah sure man that's what it's about. Political correctness is the sole reason we like to have a range of body types and realistic portrayal of women in our fiction. It's not about representing reality or giving people relatable characters. The only possible objection we could have to blatant fanservice is "political correctness."
This is a free market with very easy entry. Do it yerself

khoryos

Oct 27, 2008
balladbird said:
Nah, the game actually, canonically, states that the virus/parasite/whatever caused the people to long to "dress in the garb of their ancestors". Yes, I'm not making that up, it's stated in some of the journals you find scattered about.

The point where your zombie infection causes people to feel the overwhelming desire to don grass skirts and chuck spears at the protagonists is definitely the point of racism, to me. Though it wouldn't have caused me to roll my eyes quite so much if we saw a few kilts and celtic robes on the zombies in raccoon city.
You mean like the castle full of mace--wielding robed monks that took the second story beat in RE4? You know, the other game that actually featured the same bioweapon?

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
I come back to the Escapist for the first time in months and this is what I see, another argument. This is better than Tumblr tho.

OT: But I thought Quiet really did breath through her skin? Or the the problem more that she's not wearing a sports bra? Either way, I find them all more cute than sexy.