EXP: ScrewAttack's Worst EVER: Sexy Chick

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I don't get the why people are angry about the transgender comments on the video, it's not about being intolerant. It is something a guy can 100% comprehend. Imagine you're getting the hots for a girl and just suddently been told she got a dong, how would you feel? I imagined it'll be pretty much how the guy in the video felt.

This isn't about being intolerant or discrimination, it just is how we would naturally react.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
ExtraDebit said:
I don't get the why people are angry about the transgender comments on the video, it's not about being intolerant. It is something a guy can 100% comprehend. Imagine you're getting the hots for a girl and just suddently been told she got a dong, how would you feel? I imagined it'll be pretty much how the guy in the video felt.

This isn't about being intolerant or discrimination, it just is how we would naturally react.
There's no problem with feeling disappointed, or no longer wanting to have sex with someone if you find out they're transgender. You're not obliged to follow through with it anyway.

The problem is the reaction of disgust and possibly a sense of "betrayal", or "false advertising" or whatever else. The problem there is that you're acting disgusted with someone because you realised you don't want to have sex with them, when it's not really their duty to make you want to have sex with them. The world is full of people you don't want to have sex with; acting disgusted towards them (or worse) for not being what you want to have sex with is just really unpleasant. And like I said, I don't want to keep banging on about it but some pretty nasty stuff goes on in real life because of this exact reaction, so talking about how it's perfectly natural is going to leave people with the wrong impression.

PS. Oh, and the Escapist seems to have gone back to captchas that are fucking impossible to read. Thank you so much.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
What, I'm supposed to feel bad when I get a boner for Mileena?

...I really need to get help with this attraction to toothy monsters.

But yes, Rouge's ability to be sexy is jeopardised by being in the Sonic art style. Yuck. /opinions

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I gotta agree with Rouge the Bat. Why do we need a character like that in a game series that's supposed to be family friendly?
Are you familiar with Animaniacs' "Hello, Nurse!" and Minerva Mink?
Disney's Ariel, pre-legs?
Betty fuckin' Boop?

My point is cartoon chicks in kid's shows have been sexualized for years, why should it be any different in video games?

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Ehh...this video was kinda disappointing. The first guy did just fine, and the thing with Mileena fit the tone of the subject perfectly. Mileena is ridiculously good looking...until she takes off her mask. Then she's thirty-six different flavors of terrifying.

But after that, Lauren felt rather more..."invested," let's call it, in the subject. I found it a bit odd in the first place to have a female member of the ScrewAttack team be commenting on what seems like a male-centric topic, but that was hardly a gamebreaker. The problem was more that her contribution was "This character is needlessly sexualized," which on one hand is kind of against the flow set by the first example, but then also led into a bizarrely personal example where she hates this character because it reminds her of [paraphrased] "slutty sorority girls in Halloween costumes."

The final touch was adding "I'm so not alone in this opinion. Ben, especially, holds the same position that I do." to the end of her already uncomfortably personal-feeling spiel. I don't know what kind of work relationship the two have, but fucking hell, she sounds like an awful girlfriend proclaiming a negative opinion of someone and then adding "Don't you agree?" with a loaded look at her boyfriend. Maybe Ben's example was also going to be that weird bat-thing from Sonic. Who knows? All we get to see is a video cut as though she essentially forced him to mirror her opinion or sleep on the metaphorical couch.

DrunkenElfMage said:
For the record, Poison is still transgender, its just that in Japan she is pre-op and in America she is post op.

Americans are weird like that.
I'm pretty sure that she was originally written as female (IIRC), but then the people in charge of marketing the game decided that it was far more "acceptable" by societal standards to be beating up a transexual instead of a born woman.

Yeeeeaaaaah. That's got some unfortunate implications in it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
coil said:
Hot Madness said:
So really what's going on is that Screwattack is intolerant and deeply fears furries and transgender people for vague, poorly worded reasons. Progressive.
There's seriously so much wrong with this video - starting with the subject choice, all the way through to the end - that I don't even know where to start objecting to it.
^All of this. I mean just from the title I wasn't expecting much, but the video somehow managed to be much, much worse than I imagined.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
All was fine up until the Poison bit. Mileena, fair enough. Everyone has their tastes, but you have to admit that having a mouth of daggers and a taste for human flesh is a bit of a buzzkill. Rouge or Rogue, whatever people have decided to call her, is sexualised to an absurd level, which is offputting, at least for me, regardless of species. But the bit about Poison was just god damn insulting.

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
ExtraDebit said:

There's no problem with feeling disappointed, or no longer wanting to have sex with someone if you find out they're transgender. You're not obliged to follow through with it anyway.

The problem is the reaction of disgust and possibly a sense of "betrayal", or "false advertising" or whatever else. The problem there is that you're acting disgusted with someone because you realised you don't want to have sex with them, when it's not really their duty to make you want to have sex with them. The world is full of people you don't want to have sex with; acting disgusted towards them (or worse) for not being what you want to have sex with is just really unpleasant. And like I said, I don't want to keep banging on about it but some pretty nasty stuff goes on in real life because of this exact reaction, so talking about how it's perfectly natural is going to leave people with the wrong impression.

PS. Oh, and the Escapist seems to have gone back to captchas that are fucking impossible to read. Thank you so much.
You're quite right, but this is a different scenario. The "betrayal" comes from the developers, not the person. This issue has nothing to do with accepting an individual's identity or being disgusted with who they are. If the video criticizes anything, it's attacking the games utilizing copious sex appeal with a character whose sex and gender are not clearly/appropriately communicated, which is a questionable thing to do. I don't think it's wrong for someone to be upset about this, especially in a video meant to show opinions on a highly subjective topic.

Also note that Poison was originally intended to be female. The developers made her a transvestite because of concerns about beating up women. It's justified to be upset at developers for arbitrarily change your favorite character's sex, especially when the design of that character utilizes copious amounts sex appeal.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
My most disappointing sexy chick has to be Bayonetta.

I just don't get her as a character. So, what - because your designers are more than likely male, you're allowed to be strong and independent, yet inhumanly proportioned and so suggestive that the pejorative term "slut" starts to *maybe* feel adequate?

I mean, fuck. Sexy chicks I at least have some amount of respect for include Wonder Woman and New Lara Croft. I'd even respect Sonya Blade for her position in a male-dominated employment field, but her boobs are so widely visible you might be tempted to crack jokes about them being a tactical advantage of sorts!

As a rule, though, I prefer the "unintentionally" sexy types, or the clever or emotionally sexy types. April Ryan, Kate Walker - that route.

"STRONG, INDEPENDENT WOMAN, BOYS! WATCH ME POLE-DANCE BAD ANGEL WHATSITS INTO PASTE WITH MY GUN HEELS!"

Yeeesh.

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
I thought Krystal from Star Fox was sexy at first. Prior to release of SFA, she was advertised as an attractive and independent tribal heroine dealing with creatures several times her own size using a magical staff. Okay, she was a fox but it just made her exotic in my view. But no, SFA turned her into a lame damsel in distress and the furry community sodomized her. She was then turned into a token girlfriend for the franchise's hero and later dump him for a pansy horndog. Nintendo transformed a strong and independent tribal beauty into a meek and insecure scifi wench with no self-respect.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Hey screwattack, we have quite an active transgender community here on The escapist. Just putting it out there.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
kailus13 said:
Were there any Amy Rose upkskirts in the games themselves, or are the ScrewAttack crew pulling this from nowhere?
Off the top of my head, I can remember that in Sonic Heroes, there were several upskirt Amy moments. Not sure if there are any in any of the other games, but I'm 100% certain that they're in Sonic Heroes. So, yeah, there's a precedent for that.

Anyways, the worst sexy chick for me is most certainly Ivy from Soul Calibur 4. Now, in other games, she's worn revealing outfits. But they were at least MODERATELY tasteful. But in Soul Calibur 4? It's hideous.

That isn't sexy. It's gross. She should NOT be wearing a freaking metal thong. It gives me unpleasant images of rust in places that cannot be mentioned.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Hot Madness said:
So really what's going on is that Screwattack is intolerant and deeply fears furries and transgender people for vague, poorly worded reasons. Progressive.
Because God forbid that there are any videos that don't fall in line and only regurgitate "progressive" opinions, right? *Gasp* there might even be people who doesn't have a liberal opinion on a subject! Oh, the horror!! [/sarcasm]

Geo Da Sponge said:
I don't mind the furry stuff so much since, y'know, actual furry characters aren't real and to my knowledge no one's ever been murdered for being a furry. Although I will say that Rouge is a bat like Liara T'soni is an octopus.

But the complaints about a transgender character are just awkward and pretty horrible. I know you're probably exagerrating for comedy's sake, and it's just a fictional character so you're not really expressing hatred and disgust for a real person, but come on! Acting like her being transgender is some massive betrayal? Saying that her even possibly being transgender is the most disgusting thing ever? I hate to bang on about this, but people have been murdered for those "reasons". It's a pretty big deal.
People have also been murdered for speaking negatively about religion or certain political views, so should we just get rid of the Religion and Politics section of the forum as well? No, because opinions expressed on this site don't cause people in real life to murder each other, so your comment about hate crimes and murder is pretty irrelevant.

Geo Da Sponge said:
I expect people are going to rush into here and talk about how crazy and overly politically correct people like me must be for being "offended" by this (and they'll probably start throwing that phrase around because it's become a way to instantly dismiss someone's point of view without thinking about it). But I'm not offended, just kind of creeped out that about the half the video was just "Poison might be a transexual! Ugh! Ugh! Ewwwwwww!!!" It kind of kills the comedy mood, you know?
I'm not here to dismiss you point of view, just to point out how it seems like you(and some other people here) appear to be bothered that somebody is expressing an opinion that you don't agree with, and as such, they should feel ashamed for it. What's worse, is that you bring up hate crimes and murder as if its somehow relevant to this video.

OP:I can't say that I cared much for the main villain in BioShock 2.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Poison, Bridget... Come on, they're hot. I know it. You know it. We all have our secrets.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Humanity itself is so successful at reproduction that we take our free time and mutate our sexualize desires into unattainable things. The moral of this story and discussion is that no matter how much this topic comes up, humanity will sexualize absolutely everything there is.

Also rule 34 seems relevant here. We're all just one big horny frustrated species.

captcha: And that's the way it is...

how appropriate.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
ShadowHand25 said:
canadamus_prime said:
I gotta agree with Rouge the Bat. Why do we need a character like that in a game series that's supposed to be family friendly?
Are you familiar with Animaniacs' "Hello, Nurse!" and Minerva Mink?
Disney's Ariel, pre-legs?
Betty fuckin' Boop?

My point is cartoon chicks in kid's shows have been sexualized for years, why should it be any different in video games?
It's not about sexualization, it's the fact that she acts like a prostitute.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Don't know why people are jumping up his butt about being put off by Poison. If he was kid that grew up with the character fantasizing about the fictional character only to find out its a guy, and thus feels uncomfortable about it. I'd feel pretty dirty too.

Poison is confusing as fuck. I've never seen a transvestite that was THAT convincing... that wasn't from Thailand.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
But... I really like Rouge. She's an interesting, caring, sassy character. Yeah, she's a tad sexualized, but they don't pay any attention to that in the games themselves.

(And for the record: just because it has boobs, doesn't mean it's inappropriate.)

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Craig is just very insecure about his sexuality :p

Anyway rougue isn't bad but yeah even as a kid in teens seeing her for the fist time I went "Wow Sega...really?" XD