Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
DrunkenElfMage said:
teh_Canape said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
For the record, Poison is still transgender, its just that in Japan she is pre-op and in America she is post op.

Americans are weird like that.
but is she really?
from what I remember, she only was in that game, and since then Nintendo eased up on that shit
Not a nintendo game, its capcom and they've been nothing but playfully secretive about the whole thing, thus making a lot of gamers feel very insecure about feeling attracted to "some chick with a dong".

Personally I don't give a hoot either way, its kind of refreshing to have a transgender character in games. Backwards hat guy will just have to get over himself.
It all started when they were porting the game game for american consoles, and someone in america got uncomfortable with the idea you'd be beating up girls (this was the late eighties, early nineties), so someone on the spot said, its ok, shes a guy really'...

Yeah... Kinda horribly transphobic and thoughtless, but still, yeah gotta love Poison as she is now (pre or post, shes a transgender character, and overall I'd say a positive one), even if I did want to give the commentor a ding round the earholes for what he said.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
You know, I don't really care if ScrewAttack posit 'progressive' opinions, it's not a moral obligation.

I hate the Screw Attack presenters and shows because it's willfully stupid frat-bro humor, made worse by the the sense that some of them, like Craig, seem smart enough to be consciously aware they're producing "WHOA DUDE" themed garbage. I actually kinda like the guy when he's just being himself and not doing his hosting.

We lost Reel Physics for this?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Hot Madness said:
So really what's going on is that Screwattack is intolerant and deeply fears furries and transgender people for vague, poorly worded reasons. Progressive.
It is ok for some one not to be a fan of your kink.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
DocMcCray said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Do you see what you're doing? The moment I try to express why something makes me feel uncomfortable, you immediately leap on it as a chance to tell me how I hate the idea of someone else having a different viewpoint to me, as if I expect everyone to find all transgendered people incredibly attractive just so that I can feel better. You find it impossible to believe that someone might disagree with you without them being a crazy liberal extremist who wants to annhilate all other opinions.
The irony is that you did the *exact* same thing.

You weren't expressing an opinion. You were saying how a person was wrong for having a certain opinion...only you phrased as if it were an opinion.
Umm... Yeah, I did say he was wrong for having a certain opinion. I think his opinion is wrong.

Oh my God you can't do that opinions are sacred don't you know that if you disagree with someone that means you want them DEAD?!

Of course I think his opinion's wrong, that's what happens when two people have different opinions. I don't know if you've noticed, but this happens all the time. I think that people who say Dragon Age 2 is better than Origins are wrong. I think people that say David Tennant was the best Doctor are wrong. I think people who say a character is the most disgusting thing ever because they previously thought that character might have had a penis are wrong.[footnote]I know he was exaggerating for comic effect, but that was what he said.[/footnote]

There's nothing wrong with thinking someone's opinion is wrong. Heck, there's nothing wrong with thinking someone is an unpleasant arsehole because of their opinions, if you disagree with them that strongly. There's obviously something wrong with thinking that all other viewpoints should be eliminated by force, but I never said that they should be. I just got told that that's what I think.

PS. I used to watch quite a few Screwattack videos ages ago, so I don't think Craig is actually an unpleasant arsehole. He just made a statement that I strongly disagree with, so I'm expressing that here.

Dr. Crawver said:
Just wanted to say, this post right here, more funny than the entire video as a whole. After reading that persons comment, I was hoping you'd have a retort.

Bravo good sir. Keep shining on.
Hey, I'm glad you like it. It's really nice having someone say something like that.

And yay, I'm shiny!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Wow, sexist AND transphobic? I thought you guys were better than that in all honesty. This video was just unpleasant.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
Blaster395 said:
The title of the video gives no indication in any way that its going to include what amounts to trans* slurs and insults.
There were no slurs or insults. Just a personal opinion that he felt disgusted by being attractive to a transexual. That is a personal opinion which he has every right to have.

It wasn't disliking a fictional character, it was the transphobic slurs. "Trap", or "I was so uncomfortable of thinking she was a female the entire time and now she has a wiener" and "She may be the most disgusting thing in the world".
Again, not slurs or insults. His personal opinion. Poison was created to look very sexy. He found Poison sexually attractive because he thought she was a woman. Once he found out she could be transsexual or transgender, he became uncomfortable and he was disgusted at the idea. In no way was he bashing any trans. He is not even bashing the character at all! He was describing his feelings about his discoveries. He is allowed to be uncomfortable. He is allowed to be disgusted.

Think of the category of discrimination you find to be most offensive, and what you feel about that form of discrimination and your attitude towards those that promote or perform it. Then consider that I feel that way about all categories of discrimination.
I dislike discrimination in all of its forms. Not just the "protected classes/races/genders/etc." All of it. You are confusing discrimination and offensiveness to having an opinion differing from your own. He has his opinions on how he felt. You completely misinterpretted and missed the point entirely by saying he is transphobic.

This has nothing to do with censorship, its about not being an asshole.
We should probably be demanding this video to be taken down.
That is the very definition of censorship. You can not get closer to the definition than what you said. And once again, he is not being an asshole. He is talking about how he felt about his discovery. He is not bashing the character other than to saw he was grossed out. And he was most definitely not being derogatory to the trans community as a whole.

And I never said I wanted the person to die in a fire either.
I never said you did. I never even mentioned that you fell under that category. That was an example to explain context.

Incidentally:

rhodo said:
Also, saying "they're from Texas so they're justified in being douchebags" sounds kinda insulting to Texas. I'm not American, but I refuse to think people become stupid rednecks just by living in Texas.
I've already explained that what was said was personal opinion and not an attack on a person or population.

And what I meant about "comes from Texas" is that Texans value personal freedom and responsibility to a very high degree. It seems Brits' culture places more emphasis on not hurting certain people's feelings. Texans place more emphasis on being able to speak freely. Just because you do not agree or do not like what is said does not make them "stupid rednecks." Saying "they are douchebags" is incorrect. Saying "I think they are douchebags" is an valid opinion but one that I would be willing to debate.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Just wanted to drop in here and let everyone who is referring to Rouge as a "furry" know that technically she is an anthropomorphic bat, or anthro for short. The term "furry" is only used to describe a member of the fandom and not the anthros themselves.

Now your ignorance is cured! You're welcome.

As a furry myself I don't find Rouge appealing but then again I don't like the whole Sonic style anyway.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
On topic: Rikku from Final Fantasy X is the worst sexy chick ever because she's fifteen and the camera keeps trying to insert itself between her butt cheeks. I've rarely been so creeped out by a game.

On forum topic: I agree that this video is in poor taste. While I fully support anyone's right not to be attracted to the transsexual (assuming a basic, biological function like sexual attraction can be considered a right at all), I think describing Poison as "the worst sexy chick ever" sends a message that transsexual women are not women, which is a statement I think no one has the right to make.

EDIT: Though, to be fair, I don't know if Poison was described as transsexual instead of "she's actually a guy," which knowledge would affect my level of distaste for this video. If Poison was originally described as "actually a man," then even being transsexual now, I pretty much can't argue the point that, at the time, the character wasn't a woman.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
ShadowHand25 said:
MrHide-Patten said:
Don't know why people are jumping up his butt about being put off by Poison. If he was kid that grew up with the character fantasizing about the fictional character only to find out its a guy, and thus feels uncomfortable about it. I'd feel pretty dirty too.

Poison is confusing as fuck. I've never seen a transvestite that was THAT convincing... that wasn't from Thailand.
canadamus_prime said:
ShadowHand25 said:
canadamus_prime said:
I gotta agree with Rouge the Bat. Why do we need a character like that in a game series that's supposed to be family friendly?
Are you familiar with Animaniacs' "Hello, Nurse!" and Minerva Mink?
Disney's Ariel, pre-legs?
Betty fuckin' Boop?

My point is cartoon chicks in kid's shows have been sexualized for years, why should it be any different in video games?
It's not about sexualization, it's the fact that she acts like a prostitute.
"...acts like a prostitute."

I don't know about you, but I've played Sonic Adventure 2, she's comes across as a materialist who uses her femininity to get what she wants.

As for her personality in terms of sexuality, is more "You can look, but you can't have it," not "you can have it for the right price."
You're right, that was a piss poor assessment. My apologies. Maybe I just don't approve because I don't like the whole seductress thing and the fact that it's a furry seductress makes all the more weird off putting.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Geo Da Sponge said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Oh for goodness sake...

Yes, that's right. Because I wanted to explain why something left me more creeped out than amused, I must want to eradicate all other view points ever. Everyone must agree with me! Anyone who doesn't is a horrible bastard and must be put to the torch!
The hyperbole is unnecessary, I never accused you of advocating violence against those who had a different opinion than yours, I just pointed out how you were really reaching when you brought up hate crimes and murder and compared it to a person who says that they are not sexually attracted to transsexuals.

Geo Da Sponge said:
There, does it help if I try and villainise myself while you do it as well?
Again, you are exaggerating what I said, I don't think your a villain or a horrible person. I just think that comparing apples(not finding transsexuals attractive) and oranges(murder and hate crimes directed at transsexuals).

Geo Da Sponge said:
Do you see what you're doing? The moment I try to express why something makes me feel uncomfortable, you immediately leap on it as a chance to tell me how I hate the idea of someone else having a different viewpoint to me, as if I expect everyone to find all transgendered people incredibly attractive just so that I can feel better. You find it impossible to believe that someone might disagree with you without them being a crazy liberal extremist who wants to annhilate all other opinions.

..what?

Are you sure you don't have my post confused with somebody else?

You keep strawmaning my post by claiming that I'm saying that you are advocating violence...but that is not the case at all. I never said that you advocated violence towards those who have a dissenting opinion from your own. The only thing I said that was even remotely similar to what you were referring to was when I said that it seems like you want to shame others into not stating their views.

Also, I never attacked your character, so you can drop the baseless accusations that " find it impossible to believe that someone might disagree with [me] without them being a crazy liberal extremist who wants to annihilate all other opinions".

Geo Da Sponge said:
No, I don't think that opinions expressed on this website are likely to cause murder. If I really thought that, do you think that I'd just be sitting here, typing up comments about it? Neither am I saying that talking that way about a fictional transexual is as bad as talking that way about a real person, because trust me, if they were talking about a real transexual I'd be way more pissed off.
All the more reason why your comment about hate crimes was unnecessary to bring up in the first place.

Geo Da Sponge said:
I'm not mentioning very serious hate crimes because I think that them expressing their opinions is as bad as said crimes, or likely to lead to further hate crime; I'm mentioning them because that's what I end up thinking about when someone starts going on about how disgusting they think transexuals are. That's why I don't find the video funny, because the awkward discomfort outweighs the humour by a huge margin.
So I'll reiterate what I said above, your original comment was unnecessary and your comparing apples to oranges.

Geo Da Sponge said:
At the end of the day, I just wanted to say why I didn't like the video. Not in a "You disgusting filth! You have no place in civilised society!" way, but in a "Dude, not cool. Just... Not okay." way. But hey, fuck me expressing my opinions, right? Because they clash with someone elses, I must want to eradicate all other points of view so everyone will acknowledge me as their one true God and saviour.
Now I'm convinced that you must have me confused for somebody else because I never accused you of wanting to "eradicate" everybody else who has a different opinion than you, I simply pointed out how you seem to want to shame others because they don't have the same opinion as you.

Btw, feel free to drop the hyperboles anytime.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Helmholtz Watson said:
Ahh, shit. I genuinely did get confused; I thought your response to Hot Madness was part of your response to me. Now that I've gone back and re-read it, I see the problem. That's what most of my post was "aimed" at, and it's my own fault for going off on a rant like that.

However.

Because God forbid that there are any videos that don't fall in line and only regurgitate "progressive" opinions, right? *Gasp* there might even be people who doesn't have a liberal opinion on a subject! Oh, the horror!! [/sarcasm]

The inherent implication there is that you believe that Hot Madness, and in turn me because I agree with him, want to shut down all free opinion because we dislike the views shown in this video. That's what I was talking about. And no, I know you didn't accuse me of advocating violence, but then again I never said you did apart from the crap joke at the top of my comment. The only other time I mentioned it was the "annhilate all other opinions" part, which you will notice is different from "annhilate all other opinion holders".

Having said that, I have to repeat myself: I'm not mentioning hate crimes because I think videos like this are comparably bad. I mention them because when someone appears on a video and unironically expresses the views that lead to those sorts of incidents, it kills the comedy and makes them look like a dick. I could draw a comparison with other views that would be equally unfunny, but it would inevitably involve racists and/or Nazis, so I won't. Another reason I'm mentioning them is that people might be genuinely unaware that these things happen for the very reasons described in the video, so it might help anyone involved in the video realise why people are reacting so badly.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Definitely a lot of phallophobia at ScrewAttack.

"Might have a penis" doesn't change a person's outward physical characteristics.

Seriously, its not like you're ever going to get her pants off anyway.

So just get over it and enjoy the eye-candy.
If you are being serious, then you don't understand sexual preferences in that what can turn arousal on and off.

Once the thought of "it's a dude" hits the mind of a straight guy, boom, it doesn't matter about looks, they disappear with such information.

It doesn't matter if it can't be seen, if there is even a hint of info that reveals that a she could be/or is a he, then the interest is gone.

It's the way I am, and a vast majority of others.

Of course the same principle works for other sexual preferences, when something the person finds unattractive/a turn off is show or heard, again, boom, no arousal for the person the information involves.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
DocMcCray said:
Okay...time to educate some people about Screwattack. If that doesn't work, time to go medieval.

Screwattack is not politically correct. Just as life is not politically correct. Often times, the staff will bring up subjects that exist in the world, both real life and gaming life. A lot of people may feel uncomfortable about this. There is nothing wrong with that.

However, if it looks like it is going to be offensive, don't click the link. It is that simple. This situation is very similar to the brony/anti-brony posts. If the word "Pony" is in the title of a post and you are an anti-brony, then understand the post will be filled with posts about ponies. Don't go in there saying "OMGZ! U R GAY! GET OFF TEH INTERNETZ!!!1!" You had warning, you entered anyway, you were offended, and it is your fault you were offended.

If you do not enjoy what Screwattack offers, do not click their links. It is that simple. If no one clicks, they will be removed. That is the power and right that you have.
I kinda like that people react like this. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this content, after reading some comments, I'm sure I won't. The decision to not click a link on a website I enjoy, I prefer to make that decision with some context.

Thanks for the info about Screwattack though, I wasn't familiar with their material.

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
Staying on topic and avoiding this needless drama...

Ivy is one "sexy" character that always looked ugly to me. Her outfits always make her look absolutely ridiculous. While other characters wear armor or elegant outfits, here's a lady who's wearing fetish wear.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I can't imagine there's too much room in those shorts for anything--with regards to Poison.

Rouge always gave me the most confused half-boners.