Explain your usernames

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011

Long story short, my parents left me with my grandmother a while back when I was around eight or nine. For about a week, my grandmother proceeded to make just... food that children could never possibly eat. Just weird shit, and no one's ever accused me of being a picky eater.

All there really was that I could stomach was this cereal. Off brand cheerios. I had no books, didn't bring any toys, had no TV. I went temporarily insane for a while, with the only thing I had to look forward to was sneaking into the kitchen to eat this shitty cereal. Hence the name.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Seriously, I can't stand gamertags that are some common word or phrase or popular thing with bunches of random numbers or X's. I wanted a clean gamertag and user name.
D:

OT: It was my first e-mail account some eleven or twelve years ago. Something easy that young-me could remember.

I've briefly considered switching to the name of my primary World of Warcraft character, but there's a certain innocent charm in the current name that I think would be lost in the translation.
Don't worry, your username there is fine, because it has far far fewer random numbers/characters than I've seen.

Example of something typical of what I meant makes me mad is:

XxXCoOlBr04L1F3XxX

With random caps and numbers in place of letters or words. Yes your name is easy to remember and enter. That which I created as an example wouldn't be.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Mine comes from a mix of two nicknames I had when I was younger, Padfoot (my best friend was Prongs) and Wolfie (named because I am like a wolf in many ways) I tend to use this username everywhere now. It just stuck.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Pohaturon said:
My username originates in the time before time...

I've been using "Pohaturon" since I was 6, I think. Back then, I was really, I mean really, into lego, and more specifically Bionicle. So, I took my fav bionicle, "pohatu*", and added the first three letters of my name "Ronci" to the end.

*Internet cookie to the first person to show a picture of this fine gentleman.

How many cookies does this net me?

As for my name, a year or so before junior high I kind of organically invented this character called Mr. Cakey, visually based on the Kirby charset from RPGMaker 2000. I basically decided that this was me, that is, my persona or alter-ego or what have you. About a year or two later I upgraded the character to Dr. Cakey. He got his PhD from the Cakeyan Academy, and his degree was in zippo. I believe this was just a made-up nonsense word and was intended to have nothing to do with the brand of cigarette lighters, but you may find it more amusing to imagine a Kirby lookalike who received a doctorate degree in the study of a specific cigarette lighter brand.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
Let me bring you back to a time known as pre-2010. There was a show called LOST. One of my favorite characters was Desmond. Something the character would say a lot is "Brotha". So Brotha Desmond.

Crayven

Plum tickler
Mar 28, 2011
Crayven or cra·ven (krvn)
adj.
Characterized by abject fear; cowardly.
n.
A coward.
[Middle English cravant, perhaps from Old French crevant, present participle of crever, to burst, from Latin crepre, to break.]
craven·ly adv.
craven·ness n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Use it in allmost all my games, it amuses me to think of a soldier, pilot or macho guy being named coward.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
My old username was also my full name. So I decided to change it to something that wasn't my name. But what was not my name. What wasn't Matt?

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Way back when I was young, I went to sign up for Runescape. I couldn't think of a user name, and one of my friend's just came to me. It was something along the lines of Loveyman(Somenumbers). I stole the man part, and to indicate that I stole it I put the word "moc" in front. As I was quite young I didn't have a great understanding of what it meant to mock something, and I've always been a shit speller (Spellcheck I love you). I use it because then I don't have to have numbers in my name.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
I used to roll around here as "Skywolf09", which was born out of a combination of a stupid coversation about Starfox I had with a friend in middle school and my number in an old flight sim virtual squadron I was part of. Eventually I stopped using that, though. Mainly since there are too many Skywolves out there, so it's not unique at all.

"Silky Sky Kitten" started out as a silly nickname given to me by someone on the Escaipst MLP Group. Later on a friend of mine on Steam started calling me "Silky" all the time, and it just stuck. So now I constantly go by that name, since I like it and I've never encountered a single other Silky Sky Kitten at all. Thus, it's a name I like and is one that's unique to me.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
Well... I was once making a fan game for a Japanese bullet hell called Touhou. (This was quite a while back) I needed a name for the extra boss, and I just pulled Remaiki out of nowhere... yeah, I suck at making names.

At any rate, I felt I needed a new username just around this time, so I figured I may as well just use the name for myself as well. :p

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Basically, I don't like numbers at the end of my username, it annoys me, and I don't like having to play arouns with spelling because a given name is already in use, so there went anything common. So, I made up a name that looks like a word, and is therefore easy to remember, but means nothing, and is thus unique and won't be taken already or require numbers.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I will never tell. No. Never.

I will never say my name to any of you.

[sub][sub][sub]Did it really need explanation?[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Envy Omicron

Apr 27, 2013
Weeellllll...When I first started playing on my cousins' Xbox, I created a temporary profile named after the Iron Man villain Crimson Dynamo, partially because I kinda liked the way he looked, but it was mostly because it was the coolest sounding name I could think of at that moment. However, I guess that profile had some interactions with Xbox Live, which meant that when I got an Xbox of my own I couldn't create a profile under the same name, so I did the most creatively bankrupt thing I could do at that moment and changed it to Crimson Dynamite. I didn't like the way it sounded, so I then changed the Crimson to Envy because Envy was a shade of green (my favorite color) that sounded more dramatic than just saying green (altough upon reflection, I guess I could've gone with Jade or Emerald, but Envy is shorter than Emerald, and it sounds better than Jade Dynamite, at least in my mind).

After that, the Dynamite in my username seemed unnecessary since I'm not particularly explosive or dangerous, and the symbol stuck in my mind (which you see as my avatar) looked like a mix between a compass rose and a shuriken, I got to thinking: "Compass roses and shurikens are kind of circular, and so is the letter 'o'. Hmm...is there a cooler sounding word for 'o'? Maybe one that's in another language? Perhaps Greek?" So, through my own incredibly warped, bizarro-world logic, I came to the name: ENVY OMICRON!

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
My user name stems from the fact that I love Oh! My Goddess, and when I first went to create an account for a website it was taken so I added 98 at the end. I have since kept it to this day, go ahead Google me.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
The proud result of a chronic lack of imagination and the anxiety of staring blankly at a forum registration form for 10 minutes.

I guess my name could suggest being connected to life support machine ie. the internet/gaming but when I originally came up with it was just because I needed something as my username.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Oh yay, it's *this* thread again :3

OT: I had a phase where I thought of a bunch of fantasy names like locations, characters, enemies, etc. And I came up with Aetheora. I liked it best, and I've used it for most online stuff ever since. Works for me, and I love it~

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
My Xbox screen name is "greenphalcon". I needed a name for WoW. I started throwing various combinations of those words through various translators until one or more sounded good. Eventually "Crudus"(it is where we get the word "crude") came out of the Latin translator. It sounded good so i have been rolling with it since.

Aetheora said:
Oh yay, it's *this* thread again :3
I was actually thinking the same thing. The "why did you choose your avatar" thread should crop up in a few days.