EXTERMINATE..... the Royal Wedding?

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
I don't care, so I'm going to go on the internet and tell everyone how much I don't care because cynicism = wit, don't you know.

Seriously, it's a major newsworthy event that doesn't involve a death toll in the thousands, a day off work and an excuse to go party and do something fun in the name of two people who are going to be very happy right now. People are so artificially cynical these days, jeez. Of course you don't CARE. No one CARES, really, but it's an excuse to go out and celebrate something and be happy.

Maclennan

Jul 11, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
Maclennan said:
feeling slightly embarrassed that a developed nation still has monarchs as nudered as there power may be.
Why?

She makes the country huge amounts of money with the publicity (way more then what is being spent on the wedding).

The royal family doesn't have any real power, and they make the nation lots of money. The only real reason I can think of for why anyone would want to complain about how it makes the country backwards are people who enjoy bitching just for the general sake of bitching. The same kind of people who whine about how virtually everything that the government does in any form or shape is extremely evil somehow.

Note that I myself am not British.
The cost to support the queen alone was over 130 million, while there is additional maintenance on all their properties and the rest of the royal family across the country which is reported separately so is hard to track. I imagine the cost is roughly equivalent to the revenue generated.

A monarch who rules and represents the country by the authority of God, head of the anglician church, just does not seem appropriate when its the 21st century with almost universal suffrage, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion.

You really were the one who bitched at a relatively mild opinion, i just said i find it a little embarrassing that this still happens and it has been blown up into such a huge event. There is a lot less publicity on the actual ruler of the country when they take power. The only rulers of any country which i have seen who put this much into publicizing an event in their life are dictators in third world countries who rule by some absolute authority.

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
Ha! lol! That is so cool. Also, some people are so miserable. All it is is a funny picture of a dalek. you don't have to go on about the royal wedding.

p.s. I vote for these to be in the next series of Doctor Who.

Craig Cameron

Jun 8, 2010
DeadFOAM said:
Not caring. Then again, I'm not British.

I'm sorry, but could somebody explain to me the significance?
It's ok man I am British and I couldn't care less either.

The apparent significance is that it's a wedding of a prince, as we are still have a monarchy which is above the government this makes it more prominent. But I suspect that above all else that the reason for all the hype is that it doesn't happen very often and as people of Britain we are supposed to unconditionally love the royal family at all times.

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
ekkaman said:
ekkaman said:
DeadFOAM said:

Why you are not British so what is the point of explaining it to you?
Because I want to know?

That is like saying "You are not American, therefore you shouldn't eat McDonalds."
(Just an example, there are PLENTY of good reasons to not eat there.)
Significance um maybe cause he is second in line to be their king, that is just off the top of my head.
BTW your example is pretty stupid as you start you first post with "not caring then again I'm not British".
Almost like you think only the British should or would care.[/quote]

The opening post offers "Not caring" as a response. Part of why I don't care is because I'm not British.
I think you're reading too much into this.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Lemme get this straight... you guys in Britain pay taxes to keep these people rich, right?

Sounds a bit like us and our government.
We pay 62p a year each. You can barely get a chocolate bar for that these days.

I think I'd rather save myself a chocolate bar once a year, and keep a bit of British culture and heritage alive.

As for the Dalek... meh, not a Dr. Who fan, at all.

I watched the wedding, enjoyed it, had a street party enjoyed that too. Plenty of locals, free food, cheep booze, live music and a liberal dose of Union Jacks. You can't argue with that really.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
zehydra said:
oh dear.

patriotism is no better than any other kind of fanaticism.
I'm not quite so sure of that. Then again, it depends on the degree of patriotism. Naturally, being proud of your country is a good thing. However, 'ALL FOREIGNERS WILL DIE!' is usually taking it a bit too far.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Even though I'm Swedish, I did watch the highlights on BBC Entertainment.. (Dreambox-streaming! WOHOO!)
I do how-ever not care, there was just nothing else on while I was eating my dinner.
Good for the happy couple I guess.

:)

Aug 25, 2009
'Would you care for some tea?'

Also, at the very least the wedding has upped our economy through tourism by a significant percentage. So I'm for it from an economic standpoint.

Also, what? Just because we have a different system to you automatically it's worse? How about everyone else in the world pisses off and stops going on about how useless our monarchy are, because we could easily then just spend all day criticising the various flaws of each other's governments and systems. It's entirely pointless.

Live and let live, you leave our institutions alone, we'll leave yours alone.

Jul 5, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Booze Zombie said:
Well, they're a good tourist draw and the Queen does actually control if we go to war, last I was informed. At the very least, having done the job for her life makes her more suited for it than most and I guess if you're going to have someone do a job like this, they might as well be competent.

I am sick of all of the media coverage for the wedding, though.
Well me, I would be pissed if I spent my taxes paying for some ancient self-entitled douchebags with no political training, background or qualifications to decide huge decisions in my country and get rich and famous for no reason other than some antiquated tradition and membership to a stupid elitist club...

[checks history of Ireland in last 10 years]

...uh, I can empathise with you guys.
Eh, some people are far to over zealous for their hatred of the crown.
I just dislike all forms of monarchy. No one is better than me because of what family they are in.
But eh, what cha gonna do.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
zehydra said:
oh dear.

I'm not quite so sure of that. Then again, it depends on the degree of patriotism. Naturally, being proud of your country is a good thing. However, 'ALL FOREIGNERS WILL DIE!' is usually taking it a bit too far.
I would say that being proud of your country isn't a good thing, especially the larger the country gets

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I watched it, played full drinking game rules plus a few extras, bought a flag. Was really fun! Shame about the bit where Fearne Cotton had to interview all the really wierd looking people in the crowd.

Did anyone else notice how much of a lad prince Harry was all the way through? Looked like he'd just been dragged out of be after the stag, spent pretty much the whole time chatting up Kate's sister. Legend! If he didn't end up sleeping with her I'll be severely dissappointed.

ekkaman

Feb 19, 2009
DeadFOAM said:
ekkaman said:
ekkaman said:
DeadFOAM said:

Because I want to know?

That is like saying "You are not American, therefore you shouldn't eat McDonalds."
Significance um maybe cause he is second in line to be their king, that is just off the top of my head.
BTW your example is pretty stupid as you start you first post with "not caring then again I'm not British".
Almost like you think only the British should or would care.
No more like you do not understand what you type. I Am sorry if English is not your first language got a feeling it is so you need to work on it some more, maybe read before you post.
The opening post offers "Not caring" as a response. Part of why I don't care is because I'm not British.
I think you're reading too much into this.[/quote]

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
Like nearly every human in he world I couldn't care less, fuck your "royal" wedding and all the threads, comments and pictures on different sites... specally than they all say "I couldn't care less about the royal wedding" and "what's your opinion about the "royal" wedding?" fuck sake... shut up already.

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Well then all the PUNY HU-MANS are all gathered in one place(or in front of their TV's). They won't even notice the 26 planets in the sky and the reality bomb destroying REALITY! ITSEEELFFF!

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
This does absolutely nothing to influence my complete apathy towards the royal wedding.

Lemme get this straight... you guys in Britain pay taxes to keep these people rich, right?

Sounds a bit like us and our government.
The crown actually owns an enormous amount of land, the income of which goes towards the national treasury. The royals contribute significantly more towards the country than they take from it, believe it or not. :p

OT: I'm somewhat apathetic. Four hundred years ago, when the royals actually had power, this would have been a massive and incredibly significant event. These days, it's somewhat akin to celebrity gossip, and totally unimportant, unless you actually live in the UK. Even then, it's patriotism and national pride that makes it important for the brits, not the inherent significance of the royal family itself.

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
ekkaman said:
DeadFOAM said:
ekkaman said:
ekkaman said:
DeadFOAM said:

Because I want to know?

Almost like you think only the British should or would care.
No more like you do not understand what you type. I Am sorry if English is not your first language got a feeling it is so you need to work on it some more, maybe read before you post.
I think you're reading too much into this.
First, fix your own sentences before you tell me to fix mine. It took me a few times to decipher what you're writing. Furthermore, I am very aware of what I typed. Seems like you're the only one who can't understand me. Other people have answered me just fine. Problem exists on your end, mate.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
zehydra said:
ScoopMeister said:
zehydra said:
oh dear.

I would say that being proud of your country isn't a good thing, especially the larger the country gets
I meant proud of your country on a small scale. To the extent of liking where you live, voting in the government you think will make it a better place etc., yet still appreciating other people and cultures and promoting peace and cooperation and all that kind of thing. I fail to see how this can be a bad thing. Obviously, some people can and have taken it to far, but that wasn't the kind of thing I meant.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
zehydra said:
ScoopMeister said:
zehydra said:
oh dear.

I meant proud of your country on a small scale. To the extent of liking where you live, voting in the government you think will make it a better place etc., yet still appreciating other people and cultures and promoting peace and cooperation and all that kind of thing. I fail to see how this can be a bad thing. Obviously, some people can and have taken it to far, but that wasn't the kind of thing I meant.
I wouldn't consider that patriotism.