Extra Credits: No Redeeming Value

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
Let's not forget that in GoW3 he's looking for more power to slay a Zues, a god. You know, one of those guys that he's been tearing up for the past 3 games. It's like they (The development team) didn't even care. They recycled the adventure from the first game and pulled a Lucas.

The gameplay was fun... but I can't recommend it because of these aspects like all the reviewers did.

Also, the people that are saying that he killed himself in the end forget that the body disappears which; 1. leaves it open for more games, and 2. Leaves it open to interpretation as to what really happened.

sailor_960

Jan 12, 2010
What about Chains of Olympus. I think thats sort of analogous to Oedipus at Colonus in that the character realizes that he is a tragic figure and essentially embraces that. When Kratos gives up his chance at happiness because only he can save the world, it is similar to Oedipus accepting that the Gods have essentially run his life and tormented him for no reason and subsequently gives up on life.

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
sooperman said:
Having only ever heard about the GoW storyline from other people, I have to say I don't feel like playing the games anymore. That sort of potential lost in order to strengthen the combat of the game play and the craziness of the main character is mildly depressing.

Really strange to think about in such detail.

Tipsy Giant said:
Been following you guys since the first screwattack video, love it!
Which was called what, exactly? I searched "Extra Credits" and variations thereof on ScrewAttack, but I didn't find any of James Portnow or Daniel Floyds' work. :/
Go to youtube and look up kirthem

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I agree on all counts, but don't expect the printed gaming media to offer any harsh criticism for fear they'll lose their excuslive stories, perks, and freebies from game publishers.

Gamers will continue to give empty mindless action more money though, there's nothing we can do to change it, and even priacy has no real effect on major publishers.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
My interpretation is that they made him a remorseless psycho to make the ending to GOW3 all the more surprising.

He learned that he had hope trapped inside him and that humankind needed it more than he. So he killed himself with the sword to release hope to mankind.

Also remember he said "My vengeance ends now" before doing it which could mean he realized what his selfishness was doing to the world and wanted to end it all.

As for the 1st person sequence, I think that was just for the player to unleash frustration, b/c it only stops when you stop pressing circle.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Terrific analysis. And I especially agree that the "Children's Special" lines at the end of GOW3, "Look within you" type writing was really egregious and hackneyed.

Sounded like it was cribbed from current day's "Cliche's R Us. Painfully lame. Reading those types of lines must be agony for actors. We all see those same types of meaningless lines in far too many types of entertainment and they are a warning klaxon of bad writing wherever they appear.

Major fail.

Ritter315

Jan 10, 2010
Ok, if the point of loving God of War one is quote "Feeling pity for the brutal killer." I never felt that. I played through the entire game thinking that Kratos is an unlikeable character that I felt 0 connection to as his controller, basically. If you dont like Mario, no matter how good Paper Mario: Thousand year door, or Super Mario Sunshine was, if you dont like Mario as the character, then you wont like Mario games. But for Mario, theres reasons to like him, despite his motives being untilmately futial (Bowsers is going to kdnapp Peach 1000 more times before Marios life is over) I dont like Kratos because theres no reason I felt to like Kratos or even to help him continue his journey because I felt no reason for me as the player to advance hi story.
Then again, I never liked Greek mythology due to its based on something that seems really stupid.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
When this episode started, I immediate thought "What characterization? Kratos is a douche who's only point in existing is to allow players to beat something up!"

And then you confirmed these thoughts..

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I disagree with your views on the character degradation through the 3 games.
Can't really be arsed making a complete explanation why, but the character progression was believable because of everything that happened to him. He was a spartan, and with newfound powers the abuse in favor of his people makes perfect sense, and because the revenge from the first game didn't really make him feel any better he was still looking for a blame figure in hope to finally rest his anguish.

I understand how the character feels less lovable and more psychotic in each sequel, but it makes perfect sense he would progress like that.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Still loving that closing credits music.

Never played any of the GoW games besides the demo on the PSP. That merely showed me that it was an action game similar to DMC, except [extremely sad revelation] I liked Dante better.

The bloodthirsty bald guy didn't have much appeal for me, and though the first game sounds pretty good at this point the 2nd and 3rd games fell in just where I expected the entire series would - at a tribute to gore Saw level.

I don't know if it's mutually exclusive, but I think Silent Hill does pretty well by casting average looking guys as the lead so they're easier to identify with. Just looking at a game's protagonist will give me a very good guess at what type of game it's going to be, and if it's worth playing.

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
Great video. I always like it when someone deconstructs a story, and I think we all learn from it.

I disagree with the criticism about the change in perspective from third person to third person. Just because it does not happen much, does not mean it does not work and shouldn't be tried. I think we're supposed to see through the eyes of a killer, and it's very unnerving. This sort of thing is experimenting with narrative and perspective and we shouldn't shun someone who tries to do things differently. It shouldn't be about a formula. There is a paragraph in the Pulitzer Prize winning novel "The Road" that shift from third person to first person. Also look at Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying", It's one story told from many different perspectives. The problem with deconstructing a story is sometimes you get it in your head that there is a right way to tell a story and a wrong way. No, there are just things that work and things that don't work and it is only through trial and error that we discover them. Let's not slam those that take a chance in telling a story; otherwise everything would be the same. We should take criticism over those that don't try to bring something new and different.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Father Time said:
ProjectTrinity said:
Hiphophippo said:
Father Time said:
Hiphophippo said:
MasterV said:
Wow...people actually play God of War for the storytelling...Seriously?
Every game I play I play for the story. Every single one.
You're missing out on some great games that have no story.

Like Tetris and Pac-man for instance.
I knew someone would bring this up, and truth is I spoke a little too quickly when I made my post. I'm perfectly capable of enjoying games like tetris and pacman (in fact, I fucking LOVE Mrs. Pacman) It's just that...as I've grown older and I find less and less time for my love of gaming I try to fill what little time I do have with thought provoking stories. I want what little I play to really make me think about it when I inevitably have to turn it off and get back to life.

edit

Regardless, let me say once again...as I've said in every Extra Credits thread, this is the best series on the escapist. It really is.
Ah, people love to take things literally sometimes. The reason will forever escape me. lol (Unless the poster talking to you was just being sarcastic.)
I wasn't, I didn't think he was being sarcastic.
I was agreeing with your post and referring to the guy you were quoting. Sorry for the confusion.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Great vid. GoW is an interesting example of a series where unnecessary sequels managed to completely dilute and ruin the story without negatively affecting the gameplay at all. Since the original God of War was basically a brutal hack-and-slasher in the "Devil May Cry" mould, the excellent story was actually a bizarrely unexpected bonus, like when you're enjoying a nice vanilla ice-cream cone only for your teeth to suddenly meet something crunchy and you realise they'd added maltesers to it instead. So technically it isn't that the plots of the 2 GoW sequels got worse so much as they merely returned to the (markedly lower) standards of the genre. Which is still disappointing, as the first game showed that you CAN exceed your standards if you make the effort.

Ridgemo said:
Call me shallow, but i did enjoy the story.

Maybe i can because i don't feel the need to over-analyse stuff. I played the game, and saw Kratos just go ape and destroy the world. But i rolled with it and very much enjoyed it.
Well OK then. You're shallow.

(Just joking, but you did ask me to.)

I think what the video is saying is not that you can't enjoy the story, but you can't really say it's good. Narratively speaking, it's an utter mess. Enjoyment is subjective. Quality is not.

Sep 8, 2008
why does art=storytelling? im sure we've all heard music that can stir emotions without telling a story, and i think gaming is in this sense a lot closer to music that literature.*

*except that its harder to play games properly while driving.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Another fabulous and thoughtful episode.

I always appreciate the fresh angles with which this show approaches gaming.

thanks!

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Swifteye said:
Ridgemo said:
Something weird has happened this week, i just don't agree with any video posted on this site. Very strange.

First with Yahtzee slaging off a game i doubt he really played much by the sounds of it, and now this. But then, that might be because i love the God of War series for it's brutal violence and graphics. Call me shallow, but i did enjoy the story.

Maybe i can because i don't feel the need to over-analyse stuff. I played the game, and saw Kratos just go ape and destroy the world. But i rolled with it and very much enjoyed it.

The day i start to analyse everything to the point i can't enjoy anything is the day i'll throw myself off a cliff.
So you agree that ignorance is bliss then?
I lol'd. I like your post.

The key is drawing the line right in the sweet spot. Choosing ignorance is fine and all for as long as he's okay with everyone who even slightly analyzes disregarding his opinion for just that. Not everyone wants to go "lalalala, can't hear you." after all.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
As much as I love these Extra Credits videos, on par with my love for ZP and Unskippable, I gotta say one thing; I know that their point is vaild, and I absolutely love the new perspective they've given me on the games, I think that the trilogy holds it's story in it's own way that may not always focus on the Greek Tragedy part. Sometimes it turns away and focuses on the cathartic violence that the series is most well-known for. Unfortunately, "sometimes" happens to be half of game 2 and all of game 3. Go figure.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I think the final first person perspective is meant to symbolize how you, the player, have been controlling kratos's actions the entire time and are always hiding behind the idea "I have no choice but to do this" it may be a very meta-example but if you let yourself die in the game it means you have made the choice to end the story that way. your to blame for all the death Kratos has caused and you can say the game wants you to (which is mostly does) but you always had that choice all along, the choice to play and go along with all the killing, like in any game. In the end you can kill or let yourself die (which you may deserve). the same could be said of all games...
or maybe I'm just thinking too much into this and it's simply mindless violence.
whichever you chose to believe, i guess.