Extra Punctuation: A Hard Weapon Is Good to Find

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yep, Super Shotgun is a pretty awesome gun. Still have to give it to the BFG though. That nice wind up sound letting you know that there will be few enemies left standing in a few moments, so awesome.

Bayushi_Kouya said:
I agree. Before the vibration of dualshock controllers, I wonder how I played FPSes (I don't much now, but I like the clatter when I do).
I know how you played them. It's how I still play them now because I turn that shit off: you played them with hands that weren't numb from the controller using its immersion breaking rumbling way too much. I'm just trying to figure out why this fad of vibrating controllers ruining immersion hasn't died yet. It shouldn't have made it into PS2/GameCube/Xbox, and yet it also got into PS3/Wii/360, and now it's getting into WiiU. Augh. They should at least default it to off so those who want that rubbish have to turn it on. Options should not be set to "make games suck a bit" by default so that I have to go change them to "make the games not suck".

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Different genre but still on topic, anyone ever play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms? When it comes to tower defense the game easily beat out everything else at the time, and probably still holds true today, especially the gunpowder units. In at least this regard it really puts Blizzards RTS' to shame.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
mjc0961 said:
you played them with hands that weren't numb from the controller using its immersion breaking rumbling way too much.
You said a key phrase there though: "too much".

I thought Braid's small jolts to the controller when you land on the ground were perfect.
I thought Shadow of the Colossus used the vibration well; increasing the rumble slowly as your grip meter ran down.

Both of these examples enhanced immersion (IMO), because they helped make the game more visceral.

Pretty much any game that goes from 0 to 100% in an instant will of course ruin immersion.

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
I was thinking something like this when I was killing the poison headcrabs in HL2, and how important the screeching sound effect they make when the jump is. That sound makes them so much more satisfying to kill, esp. with a crowbar.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
captainjackofms said:
People don't always appreciate all the little things, but it's worse when the developers don't. You have to really study everything about a game to get the full effect. I wanna be a game developer, but so far it's been daunting. Right now I'm a crew of one man doing the programming, graphics, and sound all together. Not easy....
I hate to get all 'when I was a lad' on you, but that's how we used to do things. My first few games were purely me. And then the NES came along and I had the luxury of having an artist alongside me.... I still had to do everything else though. Ah, those were the days.... ;-)

Seriously, though... it will actually be very beneficial to you to learn all disciplines so that you understand and appreciate them (even if you don't enjoy, say, the audio portion of it). The industry today is full of people from 'game development courses' (ugh) who have narrowly focused on one discipline and, even worse, a subset of a discipline - an example being a programmer who has *only* focused on shaders, and can't really do much else. A person like that is of limited value to my team.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Making kills satisfying isn't just limited to weapons, nor does if necessarily have to make sense. I remember in the first Mercenaries game you would get money from blowing up vehicles. I don't know how it was supposed to make sense, but it meant that with every destroyed vehicle you got a nice, satisfying "CHA-CHING" in addition to the bright fireball and flying ragdolls of its former occupants. It really made blowing up jeeps and helicopters a true joy.

Herbsk

May 31, 2011
a phallocentric topic ..... no Yahtzee.....why we think that about your thrusting motions????

On topic, I loved the sound of the upgraded shotgun in Bioshock 2 - the BOOM sound combined with the kick of the gun was quite fun!

JUSTINtimeforalaugh

Nov 3, 2010
DiamanteGeeza said:
captainjackofms said:
People don't always appreciate all the little things, but it's worse when the developers don't. You have to really study everything about a game to get the full effect. I wanna be a game developer, but so far it's been daunting. Right now I'm a crew of one man doing the programming, graphics, and sound all together. Not easy....
I hate to get all 'when I was a lad' on you, but that's how we used to do things. My first few games were purely me. And then the NES came along and I had the luxury of having an artist alongside me.... I still had to do everything else though. Ah, those were the days.... ;-)

Seriously, though... it will actually be very beneficial to you to learn all disciplines so that you understand and appreciate them (even if you don't enjoy, say, the audio portion of it). The industry today is full of people from 'game development courses' (ugh) who have narrowly focused on one discipline and, even worse, a subset of a discipline - an example being a programmer who has *only* focused on shaders, and can't really do much else. A person like that is of limited value to my team.
Oh I enjoy it all (maybe programming the least), but it can still provide a challenge. I started working with game maker to work on the programming, majored in art and graphic design to work on my artistic skills, and have been in various bands and worked with music programs to work on creating my own sound. The idea's are plentiful, but it's the time and resources that take a toll.

What I'm very interested in is that you've been working on games for awhile, and if I could I'd like to talk to you sometime to ask advice. Though in this industry, you normally have to charge for that, so I won't be surprised if that is answered with a no.

Anthan

Apr 3, 2010
The Scout from TF2's scattergun is one of the best feeling weapons I know of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0A7D2ufqrU

There is something primal about a good sounding gun. Like a rumble of thunder, or a Harley Davidson motorbike.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
captainjackofms said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
captainjackofms said:

Oh I enjoy it all (maybe programming the least), but it can still provide a challenge. I started working with game maker to work on the programming, majored in art and graphic design to work on my artistic skills, and have been in various bands and worked with music programs to work on creating my own sound. The idea's are plentiful, but it's the time and resources that take a toll.

What I'm very interested in is that you've been working on games for awhile, and if I could I'd like to talk to you sometime to ask advice. Though in this industry, you normally have to charge for that, so I won't be surprised if that is answered with a no.
Sure... DM me with your questions - I'm happy to help if I can.

Sinbeans

Apr 2, 2010
Probably one of the scariest aspects of the Fatal Frame horror series is the absence of conventional weapons. The camera obscura has the point and shoot mechanics of a gun without the satisfaction of a powerful crack or significant reaction from the enemy. You're defending yourself with a freakin' camera after all.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Phlakes said:
EDIT: Also, swords in Oblivion feel terrible. There's no force behind those swings and enemies usually have no reaction. The only thing that makes heavier weapon better is the impact sound. Bows on the other hand, one-shotting someone with an arrow feels amazing. It would be better if the physics sucked less.
Have to say I agree here. In the end for Oblivion I made an on touch spell that dealt 100 points of damage in every area (Frire, Frost, Thunder etc..) purely since if its going to feel like I'm massaging the enemy to death it might as well look like it.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
All guns also have to feel unique when they're fired. A very old multiplayer does that perfectly - Counter Strike 1.6
All guns sound equal to the damage they do. Guns that do the most damage are louder and stronger (AWP, AK47, Desert Eagle)
CoD 4 did a good job too. But MW2 guns sounded like someone's chopping wood. I don't understand how they could let that happen.

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
The alt-fire Plasma thingies from the Combine Energy Rifle in Half-Life 2. They had a delicious pre-fire warmup noise/action, and you could easily feel/imagine feeling the recoil on it. Plus it bounced around and disintegrated enemies.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
This is exactly why I loved the .357 from HL2, it just felt powerful, throwing combine into walls and all that. It was also perfectly accurate at range, and with a decent firing rate.