Extra Punctuation: Alternative Games

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I fail to see how a game with sub-standard gameplay can in any way be considered a great experience. We should play games for gameplay, because they are games. Anything else is wonderful and can make an experience even better (and I wont play a game thats strictly gameplay with no story, progression, or meaning added at all) but the gameplay comes first. Killer7 had pretty crappy gameplay and therefore it is in no way a great game that should be recommended to anyone regardless of how bizarre it is. I realise you already said that Yahtzee, but then I don't really understand why you keep banging on about it. :/

I don't know about you guys, but if I play a game and the gameplay doesn't appeal to me I'm not going to keep on playing just because other aspects are interesting. It would be too frustrating and/or boring otherwise.

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
Properties like Killer 7 have no deep plot. They are what they seem: a bunch of weird stuff the creators thought was cool thrown together and poorly explained.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I'm glad I bought, played through and finished Shadows of the Damned. Their were times where the game was driving me mad (the girlfriend insta-fail chase sequences specifically) but it definitely made me want to play more Suda games. I'm looking forward to the upcoming second Ps3 version of No More Heros and hoping Lollipop Chainsaw (their next game) gets released outside Japan.

MeTheMe

Jun 13, 2008
I've never played it, but it certianly looks and sounds like a trip. I'm not sure I'll be able to find it, but... I'd kind of like to know who you watched play it, if you know of a good Let's Play of the game I could watch, at least.

Zeitgeist1983

Jul 20, 2011
I guess it´s about the uniqueness of the feelings games like Killer 7 can provide to you. Therefor they are more like art and less like entertainment. That these projects get a green light in the first place seems like a miracle, since games are so expensive to make.

Definitely got to check K7 out!

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I read a website explaining that the entire gameplay of Killer7 was meant to piss off American gamers at the time (being extremely linear). Which goes completely against what Yahtzee said in No More Heroes.

Read the website [http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/killer7/killer72.htm]. It's quite an interesting theory.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Killer7 deffo belongs in my top10 of games from last gen. I feel that the mainstreaming of gaming is really holding back the weird plots games used to have. Could also be that Japan does not export as many weird titles any more as well.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
Another vote for "P.N.03 kicks ass you damn fool" here. It's a very good game, a bit of a rough gem perhaps. It takes some effort to get into, but once you do it gets really fun and addictive.

Dec 27, 2010
Haven't played the game, probably never will, but it sounds pretty cool. It sounds like all the weird/ crazy things I think up but then disregard as stupid.

sukotsuto

Nov 15, 2007
killer7 is still one of my favorite games of all time, but I'd rather watch it again than play it, unlike most of my other favorites. As a game, it's not much, but it's what if offers outside of gameplay is what makes the whole thing a very unique and unusual trip. The game's storyline is very incomprehensible, disjointed, paradoxical... yet is quite intriguing and fascinating at the same time. It made me think a whole lot without making the game trying to make me swallow the whole thing like some lecture (which other games tend to do when they're trying to prove some philosophical point).

Now if a lot of games would gladly take risks and let their creators get free reign to go crazy with their creativity, we'll have a lot more unique games out there.