Extra Punctuation: Keeping Old Games Intact

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Keeping Old Games Intact

Yahtzee calls for a game archive to keep them playable after technology has moved on.

Read Full Article

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Perhaps we can ask CD Projekt to make a Good Old Games for consoles? I've only bought one or two games off that site but I'm still astounded by how amazing it is.

People still use their old consoles though, the only time I ever go to Gamestop is to see what's in the PS2 bargain bin. Although the majority of the games people trade in are terrible, for every 10 Fifa 2004s, there's one Sly Raccoon.

To preserve the medium you should trade in games after you're finished and take good care of your consoles, allowing old farts like me to relive them in all their glory. Ape Escape needs love too you know.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
It seems to me that every console maker should be willing to put together an emulator for all their consoles that are more than 1 generation old. I know that every current gen console has the computing power necessary to emulate a PSone or Sega Saturn.

It seems like it would be a win-win because for minimal effort you could then re-release every game ever made in their orignal format (if they were CDs) or in digital format and they would instantly be playable on modern consoles.

I'm very thankful for GOG.com because they're been able to keep old PC games coming out at exceptionally low prices. Now if only the console makers could get together to support something similar on their end.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
I know what you mean about backwards compatibility. I had to buy a PS2 this year for just one game, and will probably go for months before buying another one.

I'm sure there are already at least a dozen sites that run '80s games in a web browser like this.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
And this is what the PC is best for. Almost infinite backwards compatibility.

Apr 28, 2008
This is why I love Good Old Games [http://www.gog.com/]. They update the games to run on current operating systems, then sell them for cheap. Nothing else. Oh, and they pile in lots of extras, and no DRM. That's awesome as well.

I love GoG and CD Projekt Red. Only ones that really seem to care about their games and their customers.

If only there was a similar group for console games...

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
The Smithsonian has begun this process, but yes, a museum of interactive media is going to be needed soon.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Babitz said:
Yeah, but only if you're willing to put in some blood, sweat and tears just to get old games to run properly on newer operating systems. It was a royal pain in the ass for me to get classics like Tie Fighter and Daggerfall to run properly on my current computer. Fortunately services and programs like GoG and DOSBox are helping to alleviate some of these issues.

Speaking as a history enthusiast, I am often disappointed at the general apathy towards archiving old games. I agree wholeheartedly with Yahtzee's disgust at how console manufacturers really dropped the ball with backwards compatibility. Some of my favorite last-gen games simply won't start at all, and others have technical hiccups when I play them on current machines.

As for enhanced re-releases, it all depends on how it's handled. Generally I don't mind visual overhauls, but changing the gameplay or "feel" is a no-no. For example, I despised the later versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter because they ditched the dynamic and original iMUSE soundtrack for a lazy Redbook conversion of music from the Star Wars movies.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah unless there is a profit to be had. You can forget about it. Sad state of affairs I know, but perhaps it will change in time when the generation that grew up with Atari and NES, is old and decrepit and looks at games as if they are "a part of our cultural heritage" Perhaps then you will see such an archive.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I had this idea too. How many games will be lost to history if there is no place to preserve them? The big names will likely carry on, but what about the brilliant, but flawed games that flew under the radar?

That's partly why I never "upgraded" from the original model DS- the newer ones removed backward compatability with GBA games (which includes some of my favorites).
What's more is that no one seems to understand my frustration- when I tell people I'm mad that it's getting harder to play my GBAGs (my original DS just broke) they look at me all askance and ask why I even bother playing old games.

xedobubble

Apr 2, 2009
Ask and ye shall receive. http://www.cah.utexas.edu/projects/videogamearchive/mission.php It's a start at any rate.

Gaming definitely has a weird relationship with its history. Good Old Games is at the forefront of preserving old games and making them playable on modern machines, but they're all alone. Publishers keep cranking up the DRM, require us to be online to play, require constant authentication to use our downloaded games and DLC... it's honestly getting worse and worse, and the games are becoming more and more temporary and ephemeral. Which is ironic, because the wii virtual console, playstation network, and x-box live have all given a second life to previously released games, allowing for new and legitimate downloading.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Babitz said:
I second this, as Neverhoodian states, possible yes - for the moment, and a royal pain in the arse!

Whats to say in 5 years Microsoft won't release a newer system that even dosbox won't be compatible with, and as time moves on a dual booting PC with an ol' window XP/98 boot up just won't be happening.

An archival process sounds wonderful, but who would do it, and to what end....unfortunately unless heres money in it or we can find a gaming nerd Bruce Wayne....

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I have to agree with your point. Even the greatest games will go forgotten if they aren't made available to new generations of gamers. But show these games as they were, not with digital Botox injections and tummy tucks.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
sniddy said:
Babitz said:
I second this, as Neverhoodian states, possible yes - for the moment, and a royal pain in the arse!

Whats to say in 5 years Microsoft won't release a newer system that even dosbox won't be compatible with, and as time moves on a dual booting PC with an ol' window XP/98 boot up just won't be happening.

An archival process sounds wonderful, but who would do it, and to what end....unfortunately unless heres money in it or we can find a gaming nerd Bruce Wayne....
For every old game I've ever wanted to play on 7 or XP, I just had to google a bit. Also, there's tons of emulators out there for different systems. I believe there are some games that are tricky or even impossible to run for the time being, but we can really run a lot of stuff. A lot more than our console brethren. Of course Sony doesn't want ps3 to have backwards compatibility when they can just rerelease a game and earn more money.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I agree, and this is why I love the sites like Good Old Games, and DotEmu. And don't ever mention CG'ing Shia LaBeuf into Raiders, George Lucas might see it and think it's a good idea. Remember Star War Episode 6 the Special Edition?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Speaking of keeping the old things alive, the main reason why I'm not getting a Wii U is because it fails to completely reflect upon the Wii. It is one of the reasons why I got a Wii: backwards compatibility to the Gamecube.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
This is exactly why 3D/HD Remastering speaks to the lowest form. It's not out of the company's "good will." Look at Square constantly rereleasing FF4 knock-offs while refusing to touch the rest. I wouldn't mind having a newer version of FF6 that didn't have the load time bugs that the PS collection had. Other features like eliminating random battles, fully fledged voice acting and CD quality audio would be nice. It won't happen though, because we've seen how far Square employees are lodged up their *****.

I disagree that changing voice acting would be a problem. I know two games that have definitely improved because of the fix: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Symphony of the Night. Not every choice was pitch perfect (Alucard was such a wasted opportunity), but those actors all have massive experience and know how to provide quality performances day in and day out. It's a delicate balance between keeping the old-school mentality, fixing problems, and finding out how to avoid the companies from ****** us for extra money.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
One of the best things Yahtzee talked about is context. Let me explain why.

I'm an avid reader, and have read most of what would be the pillars of modern sci fi and fantasy. This includes the mythologies they evolved from (Norse, German and English mostly). I'm also a huge Asimov fan. Thing is by modern standards his works are often simplistic, or lacking in areas like character development, and plotting. Does this make his writings less worthwhile?

Thing is that you have to read in context of his day, which is largely different than ours. What everyone takes for granted now he pioneered. He distiller ideas down to their core, and explored the possibilities they offered. Snow Crash and Enders Game might do the same with better characters and plotting, but Asimovs traces are there. To really appreciate his works this context is essential. Taken out of context and you would wonder what the fuss was about.