Extra Punctuation: Pokemon 100 Percenters Are Mad

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I'm a big pokemon fan and I don't actually aim to catch them all. I was turned onto it by a friend and I discovered shortly after playing the possibilities of pitting my highly trained creatures against his is battle. It also helps that there are cute creatures doing terrible harm to one another. For me.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I used to be a 100%er and Pokemon was my drug or choice.
Then after I had caught all 151 mons (R/B/Y Era) and I felt proud of myself Nintendo dumped another 100 mons. To which I replied FUCK IT, now with Pokemon games I just enjoy the main campaign and dick around for a few days after its over and then I'm done.

Funny thing is my younger brother is a hard core 100%er, who won't stop playing a game till he has 100%ed it (he spent 6 mouths alone on Elder Scrolls Oblivion and it now juggling Pokemon White and Okami)

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
hilariously awesome article, but I have to admit in some scenarios, based on the game, 100% can be really fun, like the 3D mario games >_>

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I 100%'ed pokemon diamond, Zelda:OoT, CV:SoTN, all GBA and DS Castlevanias, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, all 3 metroid primes, and the first Dead Space.

I'd say that I was totally off my rocker if I wasn't one of those who thought achievements/trophies were worth a piss to take the time to get. I 100%'ed all those games because I liked them so much, not to just say I did :)

EDIT: Also Mario 64, Star Fox 64, the first 3 zelda games, mass effect 2.. and hell, the list could go on.. but I could swear i had fun doing every minute of every one of these games as I still go back and play them to this day :)

magikltrevr

Mar 18, 2010
I only collected all of the pokemon once, back in the original games. After that, I quit trying

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Eh. Sometimes I have fun and sometimes I don't. I do need to learn to stop playing when I'm not having fun anymore, though. Example, why did I bother doing all those obnoxious mini-games when all it did was put a 100% on a save file that I'm never going to look at again because I just beat the game? I guess the only answer is that I must indeed be mad. :p

exdeadman

Apr 4, 2011
Why yes, yes I did. Hero of time or no, it's fun to be a dick to the last guy who wants 50 spiders, instead of 10 like his brothers.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I have to admit that first pokemon games had a story and it was innovative - I'd love to play Yellow version with all those new gatgets and while there were 150 pokemons...
Great point. I don't enjoy playing new pokemon games with their new unknown pokemons.

exdeadman

Apr 4, 2011
100% is only a stat I want in a game when it unlocks a secret boss fight or some awesome thing to extend the game with more gameplay instead of collecting

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
xqxm said:
Is Extra Punctuation currently adhering to a minimum quota of homosexuality in the articles?
It's Yahtzee. All of his articles/videos have a minimum homosexuality quota.

On reflection, that could make for some pretty messed-up Chzo alt-interpretations/fanfic...

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
What irks me the most about this is his use of anecdotal evidence for his main point: he spoke with a couple people that said they do not enjoy 100% completion but do it anyway. Me, my 2 best friends and girlfriend all play pokemon and all enjoy getting 100% of them. Yes, this is anecdotal too, but now it's at least just his word verse mine.

Catching them all is a social experience for us. We all look at them and admire or mock the designs and descriptions of them, trading them around like baseball cards while somewhat racing against each other to see who can finish first. We also try to make the strongest team, catching the specific type of a species with perfect nature, moves, IVs, et cetera. We have fun. Pokemon is designed for people like us and younger kids that are in school and it can give them a common topic to talk about, trading around and making friends when they otherwise wouldn't. Helps geeks meet other geeks, haha.

Yahtzee really should stop reviewing games in genres he doesn't like. As he said, people play games for different reasons, and if a genre doesn't appeal to you, it isn't fair to review a game in it. Stick with action-adventure and horror games, those are his better videos. So many of his complaints about pokemon show just how much he completely missed the point and didn't get it. It would be like me trying to review a sports game when I don't like sports. It isn't fair to the fans and it isn't fair to the game.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Brilliant way to create a whole generation of people who can only achieve full arousal when they read the phrase "Super effective!"

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
TimeLord said:
Force Unleashed 1+2
That's like saying you read 100% of See Spot Run. Everyone did it.
Yea probably, but my point was I did it for fun and not for completionism.

Edit: Also, I never read See Spot Run to my recollection

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I always enjoy people that get 100%. At least in pokemon. Cause then I like to follow up with "how often did you use a GameShark/ActionReplay?"

its rather funny to watch them get mad.

Denny Wallace

Apr 12, 2011
There's a bit of over-generalizing going on here. I kind of enjoyed some of the flags in Assassins Creed. I felt no urge to collect all of them after I finished the story, but I did entertain the idea during the game. I think finding something hidden in a game is a reward in-and-of-itself. The flags in Assassin's Creed were bothersome because many were right in the open on an easy-to-reach rooftop--often I'd collect them on accident while running from guards. However, the ones that were on uneven, ruined pillars scattered amongst hanging platforms and crumbling walls (the ones that were obvious to see but difficult to get to) were actually fun to collect, even when it was obnoxiously difficult. As for skulltulas from ZOoT, these were also fun if there wasn't some tedious, gopher task to obtain them. Same for the heart pieces--a secret cave behind a waterfall, a tunnel hidden under tall grass, etc--these things added to the game world I felt. If games with collection minigames would adopt a policy of "challenge over quantity" I think that this type of side quest would be salvageable.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
They actually dropped the "Gotta catch em all" tagline from Pokemon, likely for the exact reason that "Catch them all" is an arduous task for the average person. Now they've refocused on "beat this fucking cheating trainer at the very top of an impossibly hard tower in which your only recourse is to breed the best of the best and hope the enemy isn't using quick claws, OHKO moves, or those damnable 50% accurate always-inflicts-crippling-status moves because they will always work" scenarios.

Catching them all is by far the easiest thing to do in Pokemon. I've done it in Pearl. Who's to say I couldn't do it again?

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
I respectfully disagree. Although I have no interest in Pokemon, consider myself a completionist and can't see the problem in extract the most of a game I like.

In fact the opnion of Yahtzee is quite common on the Internetz. Nothing against people who don't like to complete their games but is bizarre think that anyone who tries to get 100% of their games is wrong somehow.

It is of great interest from industry that you buy a lot of games in the shortest possible time. Obviously if you don't try to extract the maximum of your games you probably spend less time playing them and great are the chances of making another purchase. Sure, you keep buying games at a speed that lets the light in the dust is interesting to EA, Ubisoft, Activision and others. But why this is big problem for normal players?

It's as if these people are being manipulated or something.