Extra Punctuation: Pokemon 100 Percenters Are Mad

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I enjoy Pokemon and I play it but I don't play it to 100% capture them all.
It's more of a thing you can do which you might get to eventually. I've never 100% any pokemon except for the Pokemon Blue and I got 250/251 with Silver.

It's nice getting a Pokemon you don't have before but I don't go out of my way in a sweat to CATCH DEM ALL. I see it more of a long-distant goal which I never expect to reach but don't oppose gaining some fraction of completion towards.

Nintendo made it easier for series followers to 100% by allowinf you to import Pokemon from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald into Diamon/Pearl/Platinum, and then now into Black/White. However I only like this because you import the Pokemon you invested time in using with the previous game. If you're going to waste your time with something, it's nice being able to still use the said time leach and it still be useful.

However new players will be daughnted by the 600+ Pokemon they must catch. You play through Black and White naive and believing there's only 150 or so of the blighters to catch. You defeat the primary game story and then HOLYCRAP THERE'S 600?!

Worst still, you can only catch half of these from "swarms". I am thankful that I have the vast majority of the Pokemon to be a "completionist". I only have to breed some and evolve them and find a few to trade for in the Online Wireless Tradey Thing and catch the new ones.

However I don't think Pokemon is a good video game in the sense of a video game you play at home to relax with. It's incredabley time consuming. It's a game you play when traveling/stuck on a family holiday. Infact, I played the most of Pokemon Diamond on the two family holidays I went on in Ireland. I was an antisocial git.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Funny. I had this exact same conversation last weekend, complete with the cockfight analogy. Where the fuck are the adults in Pokemon?

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Pokemon I 100% twice but never again due to me getting tired of playing it. But what is wrong with 100% completing a game, if I pay for a game I want to get the best of it. I've 100% several games and others I didn't, but it's kinda unfair to say those who want to 100% a game (i.e. find everything in the game) mad seems really mean to be honest. I wonder if Yahtzee 100% any of the games he liked or played them multiple times?

Dorkamongus

Jan 11, 2011
crudus said:
The funny thing about Zelda: OoT is that the creator specifically put an unbeatable challenge in the game just to cockslap 100 percenters. He apparently hates them.
Really? what challenge was that?

EDIT: oh yeah, the racing challenge? I think I can remember beating it actually... but it was ALOT more effort than it was worth.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
I don't think people who play pokemon try to catch them all anymore, why? because it pretty much impossible. Not only is it a lot of hassle, it just isn't possible to get every pokemon on the game cartridges alone due to event pokemon.

Me and lots of others usually just catch the pokemon we like and take part in the competitive or meta-gaming side to pokemon. A lot of people say pokemon is easy, but I have yet to meet someone who has got all the gold medals from the Battle Frontier in emerald.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
I've gotta say, I don't really agree with this. I'd of agreed with it when it came to the originals, but I think the latest generations have really started to branch out from GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL! and gone more into the online side of things etc.

Hate to say it, man, but I think you missed the point with the latest ones.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Arehexes said:
crudus said:
The funny thing about Zelda: OoT is that the creator specifically put an unbeatable challenge in the game just to cockslap 100 percenters. He apparently hates them.
what is the challenge?
There is a man who you deliver the bunny hood to as a child. Later on, he'll challenge you to a race you can never win. He will always beat you by at least one second.
Onyx Oblivion said:
Or I go for 100% just for the mental satisfaction it brings?

That said, "catching 'em all" is an absolutely insane task. You could probably 100% a fucking Disgaea game, in the time it would require. So...many...cartridge...transfers...
Catching them all takes less time than 100% a Disgaea game, if you make good use of the Global Trade. It's just that you need to buy multiple Pokemon games to catch them all, whereas Disgaea is just grinding the item world over, and over, and over...

Getting all the pieces of the treasure map in Disgaea 2 is going to be the end of me. Catching everything in Pearl felt like a cakewalk in comparison even though it meant I had to beat three other games.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Arehexes said:
crudus said:
what is the challenge?
After you rebuild the bridge to the valley while you are adult link, you can find the running man in the tent. He challenges you to a race. He gives you a time to beat at first (like 2m38s) and you think "yeah, that's pretty beatable". Turns out he always runs faster than you. There are various glitches you can use like just riding Epona the entire race and you still lose.

Dorkamongus said:
crudus said:
Really? what challenge was that?

EDIT: oh yeah, the racing challenge? I think I can remember beating it actually... but it was ALOT more effort than it was worth.
No, you didn't beat it. People have done that race in 54s and still lost. I am pretty sure the game would crash if you won because it wouldn't know what to do if you won.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Don't know if someone pointed this out, but, "Gotta catch 'em all" hasn't been used in the tagline for years.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
You know what's funny. I don't even remember the catchphrase "gotta catch 'em all" ever mentioned. I think it was only the tv show that did that and it looks like they stopped that many years ago. Yahtzee loses all credibility by saying pokemon is evil. Then again, he never had much to begin with.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I have to disagree with this.

I like to go trough some game and get everything.
Zelda is one of the games I enjoy 100%ing. I feel like it's a challenge to get 100%. They left you other options. You can simply ignore those unneeded side quests and win the game without the.

Pokemon, I've never gotten 100%, but every time I play pokemon, I try to get as many as I can. I simply enjoy doing that. I HAVE fun. Same as someone has fun (again me) using a Sniper rifle in a shooter game and kill with ONLY headshots, some other people have fun collecting things, finding hidden stuff, catching all pokemon or getting the Aqua Sword in PoP WW. I DON'T need a reward. My only reward is that I know what I did. I enjoy proving to my self that I CAN do it. The best way to prove that is to.... yup, you got it right, to do it.

Sorry Yahtzee, but I'm disappointed. Just because you and some people you know don't enjoy it, doesn't mean no one has fun. Fun is maybe the most subjective word and you simply CAN'T generalize it.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Trophies/achievements can be pretty kool, though I've caught myself trying the same thing over and over to get an achievement. If it's a funny one or one based on skill I can't complain, but having all your games stuck on 95% (45% if multiplayer) is a big "you suck" in your face.
I have no problem giving the game a fuck you back, but it's a nagging thing. Just leave it all out and say "Well done. You are Awesome" when I finish a game.

Ophi

Jun 28, 2009
I'm currently sitting at 646/649 on White. The only reason why I don't have the last 3 is because they're not legitimately released yet, and I absolutely refuse to cheat.

I 100%'d Ruby and SoulSilver.

I had fun every step of the way.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
I 100 percented Final Fantasy 10.

Thing is I can't remember if I enjoyed doing so, I guess I must have blanked the trauma from my memory.
Oh God, you did the lightning dodging minigame and everything? You have my apologies.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
I love 100% Pokemon. You know why? So I have every damn Pokemon to choose from so I can breed the perfect competitive team to beat my friend with.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I didn't think people played Pokemon to simply collect more of the 'mons, but because it's a legitametely deep and engrossing RPG. In Yahtzee's review he said that the only tactic is to switch into whatever the opponent is weak to. This admittedly works for the core game, but if you try anything less than a perfectly bred, perfectly prepared and perfectly cohesive team at the battle subway you will get your arse swept. Same goes for competitive play, which seems to be the main allure of the series for our generation.

It's strange that a game so obviously marketed towards kids can sell so well among its target demographic and among an entirely different one as well, each selling on two completely different strengths. For kids its a colourful and uplifting quest with plenty of stuff to collect (kids love collecting shit) and for older people it's an insanely complicated and varied RPG that lends itself well to competitive play.

Personally, I say hats-off to Gamefreak.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I'm glad i'm not exactly a 100 Percenter - it means i'm only mildly insane. I tend to go for the achievements that i feel like won't be too bullshitty... I'll admit i did gather all the flags and feathers in AC Brotherhood, but that was only to get a higher score than my friend(so due to my competitive nature it DID feel good xP)

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
Oh this takes me back. It was primary school during the Pokemon trading card craze, I had only started collecting them as some friends had given me some freebies, and then one of the kids in class came up to me one day and asked was I getting into it, I said yeah it was pretty fun, and so he gave me a huge amount of them then and there, I asked where he got so many and he told me he had done it, collected every card in the game(back when there was only 150). I being puzzled asked him why he was giving them away then. He just told me he regretted wasting his time on it now he had them. Everyone else thought he was crazy and flooded to take his cards. I stopped collecting right there, was a strange revelation as weird as that seems.