Extra Punctuation: Why Regenerating Health Sucks

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Health by station is probably the best implementation I've seen, with maybe a few random health packs to be found - either off of enemies or in supply closets. It didn't seem bad to me in ME or ME2 when my health regenerated, future magix and all, but one of the many problems that led me to quit Gears before I even reached the half-way mark, was the fat space marine regenerating health.

tweedpol

Nov 19, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
tweedpol said:
This has probably been said, but, in many many games WITH health bars (eg. Half life 2), I end up constantly quickloading every time I lose more than about 20 health, which is a bit like having regenerating health but more boring and cheat-y.
See, this right here is the point where it's gotten ridiculous. I don't consider myself hardcore by any means, but I think if you can't force yourself to continue in a game, any game, when you've only lost 20 health out of 100 (good God, that's less than two health packs ? and those things ain't scarce!), you really need to man the fuck up. Seriously, people like you are the reason developers are scared to make games where hiding in the corner sucking your thumb doesn't make everything all better.
Aw, thanks dude, mature way of expressing your opinion! You just don't see it often enough on a forum. There are several reasons why I reload, unrelated to a failure to 'man the fuck up', maybe I thought I could handle that encounter faster, more cool-ly, without losing so many of those asinine allies, and these things usually correlate with losing less health. All of these except the last one would also apply to a regen system. I'm aware that I'm doing this to myself with my own perfectionism, and I don't remember complaining to any developers that it was ruining my game experience, but it is one more thing which triggers the dreaded quickload reflex. And, being okay with losing more than a bit of health in an encounter seems inevitably to lead to bits where you have only say 20 left, and end up doing the quickload spamming anyway. If you reply to this, try to refrain from ad hominem attacks on my manliness (hey, try giving it up for Lent or something!)

iamthe1

Mar 16, 2011
I really don't see what the problem is: I've played enough FPSs with my ass glued to a wall, bullets flying everywhere, shit exploding, etc., and all I can think is:

"Please don't let another bullet hit me! PLEASE! I'm so close to recovering health! If the Gods will let me live another half-second, I'd let a donkey ra--GODDAMNIT! WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU COME FROM, YOU ASSHOLE?!"

So I fail to see how regeneration must detract from congruence of gameplay or from his precious "eh-mur-shun." As he said, it's not about realism, it's about how well it's integrated into the game, and many games that I've played do this quite well. In fact, health packs can be positively detrimental to many combat-heavy games. The game that got me into next-gen FPS was Vegas 2. If I had had to look for health packs in that game, it would have been intolerable. As it was, it was fucking AWESOME!!!

I think that developers need to decide what works for the game they're making. And granted, most of them DON'T. That's the real issue. "Oh fuck! This crap game that sold well did it! We have to do it!" That brings everything down.

But Yahtzee knows that already.

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
I must say at first I was "what you talking about Yahtzee?" as I finished reading i understood what you meant, and was pretty similar to what I though already, also I think one could make a great game just taking little ideas of each of your EP and ZP.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Irridium said:
Or you could go the Brothers in Arms route and if a player hits a checkpoint with no health/ammo left and they die a few times, they get the option to restart at the checkpoint with full health and ammo. Since, you know, even though war isn't fair, a game should be. And thats the actual message when Brothers in Arms gives you the option. In Road to Hill 30 at least.
There are far too many posts to see if somebody else has mentioned this yet, but speaking of Brother's in Arms, Hell's Highway uses the exact system that Yahtzee describes. You don't have regenerating health, the screen just turns red to indicate that it's extremely likely that you'll get hit. I certainly hope that somebody mentioned this, given that there are 7 pages worth of comments.

Asparagus Brown

Sep 1, 2008
Though I don't think it's appropriate to all games, I think regenerating health is a good system. Games that rely on you having low health, horror games, for example, lose a sense of thrill if it's so easy to regain health. Other games like shooters benefit from it greatly, I think. It allows the developers to balance the each encounter by knowing exactly how much health you're going to have previous to reaching it. It, coupled with a good auto-save, also encourage gamers to try new approaches to a situation, since, if it doesn't work, there's no real loss (this is the issue people opposed to the system think is the problem), and they won't be punished for one rash or experimental strategy.

While games shouldn't always be about challenge, the ones that are should be fair in their challenge. The regenerating health allows developers to create a fair challenge and gradual increase in difficulty by knowing what health you will be on at the beginning of any given section. This, of course, would be the same as having the health regenerate only after an encounter or, even throwing health packs around at the end. But if the player's going to be collecting them after every fight, anyway, it may as well happen automatically.

TheAngryMonkey

Nov 18, 2009
I am not a big fan of heath regeneration either, you can just throw you ass into the wind get as much damage down range as possible then dive back into cover.

I also find a lot of games now really obscure your vision when you get hit, I understand the idea behind it but you only take a couple hits and you cant see. Trying to find the guy that killing you, becomes impossible.

I miss the heath bar.

Nothing was sweeter then beating a boss with one notch of heath.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Gotta disagree with you on this one Yahtzee. I remember playing bushido blade where you were legitmately hurt in battles and it was the LEAST FUN GAME EVER.

I mean, when we talk about adding realism to a game, perhaps we could move out the part where your average "hero" kills more people than Gilles de Rais?

If you're gonna do some killin' you gotta have a lot of health.

ZaxqZombie

Jul 19, 2010
play flashpoint dragon rising or just get FP: red river when it comes out if you want a health system that affects your movement and ability to fight depending on where you're hurt

Grickit

Mar 2, 2011
Regenerating health has made multiplayer so much slower because after each skirmish you sit behind cover and wipe the strawberry jello off your face.

I miss the days when you were down in the red on your health gauge (remember those?) and had to fight the way back to your command post through the squad of clones trying to capture it so that you could maybe heal a few seconds from the medical droid before they respawned.

Things were so much faster and games encouraged epic ballsyness versus pansying around after every engagement. We had jetpacks and dodge-rolls! We literally pitched C4 at each other we were so manly. Cover? Chest-high walls? What name so?

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind a slow, tactical advancement across a three mile long map from Bad Company 2 now and again. I just wish that Battlefield and Call of Duty hadn't choked out the entire rest of the shooter industry.

In other news totally not related to the second and third paragraphs: Where is Battlefront 3? :(

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
I've always thought the best health system was in Resistance: Fall of Man (not to be confused with that abomination call Resistance 2), where you had 4 health bars next to each other. If you took damage, you would lose health in the first bar. Should the first bar empty out completely, health would start being deducted from the second. If the first bar did not completely empty, it would regenerate after not the player didn't take damage for a few seconds, but if it did, health would not regenerate in that bar, and could only be restored by finding health on the ground, which was few and far between.

Because Hale was infected with the Chimearon virus, this system actually made a lot of sense. Before he was infected, health did not regenerate at all. Of course, Resistance 2 came out with the standard "go suck your thumb in a corner while your health is restored to 100%" system; at least it atill used a health bar.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I actually don't mind regenerating health in most games. I don't remember ever looking back at a game and saying, "man, that was a great game, but I really wish I'd spent more time on health management."

A also take a certain amount of umbrage with Yahtzee's argument that regenerating health provides a disincentive to exploration. If the only rewards a developer can provide for exploration are health packs and ammo, then they're a pretty lousy developer and the game is probably deficient in other ways as well.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I know it was just the result of a poorly designed realtime menu system, but I think the first Kingdom Hearts game kind of stumbled onto brilliance with its health system. Healing restores HP, but costs MP. You gain MP by attack -- which means you're probably going to take some damage. And the actual act of healing is this difficult little button maneuver you're struggling to perform at high speed (shifting through a mini-menu with the right analog stick) while sprinting away from the boss. It made for a very good tug-of-war between attack and defense, and I don't think I've seen anything that was quite as deep and elegant since.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
The luck system sounds kind of interesting actually, in a way it's similar to Sonic in that you collect large amounts of luck(rings) and if you would be hit and killed, you'd instead lose luck(rings), I suppose holes are very unlucky things then, as the amount of luck(rings) would be irrelevant.

I think a semi-realistic system based mostly on stealth in which you would die from one or two gunshots but you have a cloning device nearby would be cool :D

Haro

May 27, 2009
I have played with three health systems that I think work pretty well:

1. Halo 1 and Halo: Reach. This was mentioned before, but I think its good to have partial regeneration, but also health packs. In Reach especially, I liked how your health could essentially be rounded up to the nearest quarter or so, and you had shields, so that you would definitely feel the effects of consecutive combat, but it wouldn't leave you with those annoying scenarios of being stuck in a fight with 1 health and no way to get it back.

2. Resident Evil 4. I loved the herbs and health sprays. In fact, I loved everything about RE4, but the health combined with the inventory system really was great. You could compensate for a lack of skill by having an abundance of health items, but supplies were ultimately limited, and so was your capacity to carry. You would also have to make decisions between ammo, guns, and health. I won't mention Resident evil 5, because that game took the inventory system I loved and murdered it...

3. World of Warcraft/TF2. You have a health bar that, in WoW at least, is capable of recharging itself, but very, very slowly. The process can be sped up through items, like food or bandages, as well as potions or healing spells in combat. Team Fortress 2 actually is somewhat similar to this, in that medics can heal you, you can pick up health packs, or, in some cases, use class specific weapons or items to regain health, but at a cost.

I will say that I appreciated recharging health when it first started out, just because games always used health packs before then and it got a bit old. Now, however, we once again see the industry largely showing no creative spark and just using the most common techniques.

Recharging health can be good, but you need to be creative with and critical of it, rather than just making the same old system that has been used in nearly every fps since 2004.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I'm inclined to agree with this opinion. Even when it comes to online multiplayer. I think I enjoy CS:S hitpoint system a lot more than COD's regenerating health. I mean there were those moments when you were down to one hitpoint, last man on the team and manage to defuse a bomb or something. Very exhilarating and rewarding. You don't get that with regenerating health. Or if you wing someone, you can hunt them down and finish them off and have the advantage, which means your initial winging wasn't a complete waste. In COD if you don't finish someone off within a second or two of winging them, it's as if you never even hit them because they next time you meet they will have full health, which feels very cheap.

palsma_rifle

Feb 15, 2011
Far Cry 2 had it right. You could pull out bullets, clean your wounds, pull out shrapnel and take pain relief drugs.

palsma_rifle

Feb 15, 2011
Far Cry 2 had it right. You could pull out bullets, clean your wounds, pull out shrapnel and take pain relief drugs.