Extra Punctuation: Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I just barely got the first Infamous, still haven't beaten it. Now I know that I should get the 2nd one, especially since Yahtzee loved it so much.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
cjbos81 said:
I wonder what would it be like if Yahtzee wrote L.A.Noire.

The interrogation options would include calling the suspect a twat.
"Right, fuckstick, tell me what I want to know; I've got to get back to your mum."

That would be quite interesting.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
wow yahtzee have not played the sly cooper games? :O sort of wierd since he's such a fan of the thief games.. if you read this yahtzee go play the first one, you might like it. ^^

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Sly Cooper was a great series, a few flaws mostly caused by them experimenting with different ideas in each game, also Sly 3 did a good job of closing the series, though we seem to be getting a fourth game now.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Yahtzee said:
Hit me up, developers, I've had some free afternoons lately.
No, you haven't. You're writing two columns (one of which has accompanying animation), chiming in on an irregular third column (Extra Consideration), doing a podcast with Gabriel, co-running a bar in Brisbane, getting ready to open a second bar in Melbourne (next week!), and writing trivia contests every other week. And for all we know, you're out fighting crime every night.

"It's people like that who make you realize how little you've accomplished. It's a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years." -- Tom Lehrer

BTW, I'd never heard of planking before.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I actually liked Yahtzee's Duke Nukem Forever storyline in his fun review. A struggle to reclaim earth and the whole "hiding out" thing had a lot of potential, and there's not reason you couldn't infiltrate some sort of trans-species wedding while trying to liberate the planet. There's a lot of potential beneath the jokes.

I always thought Yahtzee was a good writer (I watch a LOT of ZP, too much sometimes) and I haven't gotten around to playing any of his stuff yet, but without a doubt he's got tons of talent

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
From the article:

"I've never played their previous games before, the Sly Cooper series, but now I kind of want to. All in all, well done Sucker Punch, they deserve to be bigger names than they are."

Absolutely. The Sly Cooper games are top notch and when the pickpocket mechanic is introduced in the 2nd game, I would wander around levels just to do that. Check them out.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Try the Sly Collection.

Just be wary that the age market is low, so the game's are piss-easy. But still very fun!

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Dear Epic Games.
Lease People Can Fly studios to Yahtzee for one game. Have them make whatever story he wants to tell.

I PROMISE you.... it will sell well.

Sincerely,
A humble Yahtzee fan and Escapist.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
i really have no idea what you are talking about
the end of both of the campaigns might be ending the big story arc but both of them offer at the same time a very different and exciting new startoff point for a new arc

i'd expect a real end to be a world in a state like it was before the story
in the case of infamous that's only the case for the good version...
...but even the good end hinted some chance of continuation
a continuation where cole is alive but this time really the only conduit
hell they could even start it off with a mad scientist who revived him with even more powers and evil

the bad end is even more inspiring
with a world full of super humans there will be so many interesting social, political, technological etc aspects to be discovered
which will probably end in a civil war between the conduits a la x-men

and you could even do away with the moral choice system in part 3(although there will be good opportunities to implement it... and do it better)
i certainly hope for another game as there can never be enough good open world games

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Zhukov said:
I'm a little puzzled by the love for Infamous 2's writing.

I mean, sure, I wouldn't call it bad by any measure. It certainly had its moments. There was some fun dialogue, Kuo was a decent character and the endings managed to convey some emotional impact. But, well... shouldn't that be about standard?

I dunno, maybe saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, but I feel that it says a lot about the overall quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be regarded as outstanding.

PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their hero portrayed as a self-mockery.
No. The people waiting for the game didn't give two shits about the character. It was the gameplay what made 3D fun, not the cliche quote spewing douche-bag of a protagonist. At least that was what I felt. Forever completely missed the point. Same shit character, new shit gameplay. Too bad he lost what he wrote, I would liked to have seen that.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Ignoring how I could not possibly disagree more with everything said about Sucker Punch, LittleBigPlanet 2 changed from the 5 star ratings in the first game to like and dislike for the second game. It works okay I guess, but personally I'd prefer it there was a neutral button. Sometimes it's not good enough to like but not bad enough to dislike, and we should be able to rate it as such. Instead you don't get to vote at all if that's how you feel about a level, and then every time I look at a level's ratings and the number of votes VS the much greater number of plays, I always wonder how many people were too lazy to vote and how many people didn't vote because there wasn't an option to express their thoughts on the level.

And then there are the people around various LBP forums who spout hippie free love crap about giving every level a "like" vote regardless of quality because someone spent time creating it and they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or shit like that. Yeah thanks a lot, the rest of us trying to use the ratings to decide if we should spend our time playing that level or not really appreciate your total disregard for how ratings are supposed to work.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hey I find planking to be hilarious

but yeah seeing how DNF came out, they prob shoulda just let Yahtzee write it
and tell them the regenerative health and two weapon limit for 90s style Duke Nukem game was stupid

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Zhukov said:
I'm a little puzzled by the love for Infamous 2's writing.

I mean, sure, I wouldn't call it bad by any measure. It certainly had its moments. There was some fun dialogue, Kuo was a decent character and the endings managed to convey some emotional impact. But, well... shouldn't that be about standard?

I dunno, maybe saying this makes me sound like a bit of a prick, but I feel that it says a lot about the overall quality of video game writing that Infamous 2 can be regarded as outstanding.
Compared to the completely mindless drivel Sucker Punch usually puts out, anything even remotely resembling a decent story would seem outstanding. Compared to the rest of the industry though, you're right. It shouldn't get nearly as much praise. It's just people overblowing the fact that Sucker Punch didn't make everything about one of their games completely bad for once.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
MR.Spartacus said:
Zhukov said:
PS. Oh, and about DNF. I can understand why the developers didn't want to make fun of Duke. Can you imagine the fanboy rage that would have ensued? Somehow I doubt the people eagerly awaiting the game wanted to see their hero portrayed as a self-mockery.
No. The people waiting for the game didn't give two shits about the character. It was the gameplay what made 3D fun, not the cliche quote spewing douche-bag of a protagonist. At least that was what I felt.
I wouldn't be so sure. I really can't speak for Duke Nukem fans, since I'm definately not one of them, but I have seen plenty of comments along the lines of, "I just wanted a game that let me play as Duke again."

mjc0961 said:
Zhukov said:
Compared to the completely mindless drivel Sucker Punch usually puts out, anything even remotely resembling a decent story would seem outstanding. Compared to the rest of the industry though, you're right. It shouldn't get nearly as much praise. It's just people overblowing the fact that Sucker Punch didn't make everything about one of their games completely bad for once.
Uhh... okay.

Look, if you want to hate on someone or something, go right ahead. But I don't really see why you need to direct it at me.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
I used to have a lot of fun with map editors, Age of Empires even let you design your own campaign. I also had hours of fun making my own maps for Timesplitters.

User generated content seems to be a thing of the past but I'd like to see a revival.

iamultraman

Nov 27, 2010
I actually toyed around with the ending of Infamous 2 and it can only go several ways. Cole, if in the bad ending, must be knocked out by some stronger conduit (or multiple conduits, which would work best as a seperate faction). He should be transported to the city his body is going to in the good ending. Amnesia would be Cole's main affliction in this story. That's one.

Another is that the player's choice is disregarded and one of the endings takes prominence albeit karmic choice. The good ending works well, because Nix, playing as Cole's romantic interest during the evil missions, can be seen as a reason for him to resort to the "good" ending (now in quotations, being no longer polemically good). Also Kuo is a *****, and those who tend to be immoral are often self-centered and apathetic to altruistic motives. If I had lightning powers and I was rockers I would never join Kuo to destroy/"save" the world. A big part of the following game would then be Cole exploring his real interests in love and whether he's acting out as a thug because of neglect, primarily from Trish in the original. Continuing from the evil decision is harder. There are ways of doing it, but it's beyond the current storytelling abilities of the industry (in that I don't trust the writers of today to create it). The only way for this to work is to control a different character.

On the story of Infamous 2, my opinion of it is described by my feelings in Kuo's Graveyard scene. The emotion was very much there--surprising me greatly--but the writing was really flat. That's embarassing and disappointing. There were a lot of themes to explore in this speech: the seperation of man and superman, what the designation of humanity means, what responsibility entails from all of us. Instead it was about Kuo getting violated by a machine, which doesn't go places except in the ending. However, the series is still a watermark in videogame creativity. I never expected such a view on ice powers, similar to how I never expected giant trash monsters to have great significance in a sandbox.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
*Looks at fake DNF review.*

*Looks at article.*

To think, maybe Vladimir Lestrade could have been real!

(I'm sorry, but if you're at the point where you're honestly debating if a phrase is 'something Duke Nukem would really say' then you're beyond hope. Step away from the Duke.)

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
Yahtzee wrote a script for Duke Nukem? Hell, Yahtzee should have BEEN Duke Nukem!

willgreg123

Aug 4, 2008
...Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw...could have used his story for "Duke Nukem: Forever"...but was then denied, due to a weird delusion that Duke was to be taken as a serious character, not as a parody?

... wow, just... wow, that's a new kind of hurt. I think my very soul is offended.

Don't get me wrong, never cared either way about DNF, but fuck me, there's NO WAY that game wouldn't have at least been interesting, getting to watch a lunatic like Yahtzee twist the DN universe as he saw fit. Not to mention it would have at least doubled the sales of the game, since they'd be appealing to a whole new audience with a celebrity like Yahtzee in the staff. A game that's been in production for 12 bloody years could have used that publicity, instead of blindly charging forth with their game out of bum-fuck nowhere, with a product that's about as edgy as a drawer full of butter knives.