Extra Punctuation: Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
MR.Spartacus said:
I was really just speaking for myself. I only ever really got into Duke Nukem 3D though. So naturally all I was after was more of the same but prettier. If someone were to extensively complain about Halo not having ten weapons and a platoon of enemies you could say "It's not trying to be Duke Nukem" but... At least I can play inFAMOUS 2 now.

Just a quick point on the Halo thing... I gave it credit at the time for being "new" and original. Not many games limited your weapon inventory like that (I can only think of Soldier of Fortune, though I'm probably forgetting something) I can't remember any games before it with a melee attack built in like it (a melee weapon, sure, but smacking someone with your rifle was new to me) and NO ONE had done the regenerating health thing.

At the time it was new and fresh and exciting. It allowed the developers to tune every encounter much better. They KNEW roughly how much health you had at all times (except mid fire-fight) and they KNEW you weren't packing a BGF9000 with full ammo in your back pocket while you fired a minigun, rocket launcher and shotgun all willy nilly.

However, given the myriad of games that cribbed those notes so thoroughly, I for one am over it. Save us, Serious Sam!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
somone did a mistake and did not let you to continue writing DNF. i mean, you couldn't have done a worse job anyway.

UGC usually gives longvivity to the game. most of sandbox games get boring after you explroe everything in them. however if there is new UGC coming all the time you keep playing if the game is good. this is why there are people still playing gta vice city and San Andreas still has huge amount of players.

GUYWITHAGUN

Apr 3, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Yahtzee Could Have Written Duke Nukem Forever

Yes, Yahtzee wrote a test script for DNF.

Read Full Article
Yahtzee you really need to play Sly cooper. you'll notice the same kind of improvement from Sly 1 to Sly 2 as in Half life -> Half life 2. and then 3 gets even better.

Dec 27, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Wow, he could of ended up writing DNF?
That would be weird...
oh, and the bit about inFamous 2, i believe there will be a sequel, as it continues on basically from the good story and there is an electric question mark at the end.
So yeah, just my humble opinion :p
And if there was to be a sequel, they might even have to make 2 games to cover both endings.
How would it continue on from the good ending? I'm not gonna spoil for everyone, but I think you misunderstood the lightning bolt at the end as the opposite of what it is; it's not a sign of possible continuation, it signifies the end.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
How would it continue on from the good ending? I'm not gonna spoil for everyone, but I think you misunderstood the lightning bolt at the end as the opposite of what it is; it's not a sign of possible continuation, it signifies the end.
Perhaps i'm getting this wrong, but stranger things have happened.
And to me, at least, the lightning bolt signifies that at least something happened to him, unless they just added it as a cool effect :p.
Or maybe it's just my belief that game companies just won't let their protaganist's die.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Duke Nukem Forever would have been an awful fit for Yahtzee. I could see his style gelling well with the likes of Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek though. And I hear that Valve is always hiring...

screwvalve

May 24, 2011
I like how he says "when i was poor", meaning that he's very wealthy now, does speaking fast like a douchebag on drugs really pay that well? I'm starting my own rants on youtube now.

screwvalve

May 24, 2011
I like how he says "when i was poor", meaning that he's very wealthy now, does speaking fast like a douchebag on drugs really pay that well? I'm starting my own rants on youtube now.

screwvalve

May 24, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I'm still gunshy from Bioshock. Everyone raved how good the story was when it was barely above "has a story" level.

Then nobody wrote about the STALKER story that was totally fresh and original even if it wasn't a LONG story it certainly fit the mythology that was being built.

But between this and the video review it looks like it will be worth picking up.

That's because the mainstream gaming media is full of jackasses. They will hype up anything that is heavily promoted by a high profile publisher, like in Bioshock's case, and leave out some game from some russian developer that "nobody cares about". BTW, more Stalker, I'm not buying another Bioshock in the air.

screwvalve

May 24, 2011
I seriously doubt Yahtzee's game writing skills. One thing is to be opinionated about lots of subjects on a gaming column and ranting on a flash video, but to actually make an entire game world IP is completely different. Im not saying he can't do it, maybe he already has, could you show something, mr. ramblomatic?

screwvalve

May 24, 2011
lowkey_jotunn said:
MR.Spartacus said:
I was really just speaking for myself. I only ever really got into Duke Nukem 3D though. So naturally all I was after was more of the same but prettier. If someone were to extensively complain about Halo not having ten weapons and a platoon of enemies you could say "It's not trying to be Duke Nukem" but... At least I can play inFAMOUS 2 now.

Just a quick point on the Halo thing... I gave it credit at the time for being "new" and original. Not many games limited your weapon inventory like that (I can only think of Soldier of Fortune, though I'm probably forgetting something) I can't remember any games before it with a melee attack built in like it (a melee weapon, sure, but smacking someone with your rifle was new to me) and NO ONE had done the regenerating health thing.

At the time it was new and fresh and exciting. It allowed the developers to tune every encounter much better. They KNEW roughly how much health you had at all times (except mid fire-fight) and they KNEW you weren't packing a BGF9000 with full ammo in your back pocket while you fired a minigun, rocket launcher and shotgun all willy nilly.

However, given the myriad of games that cribbed those notes so thoroughly, I for one am over it. Save us, Serious Sam!
You give HALO too much praise. The two weapon limit and regen health was only fresh and exciting to its main target audience: xbox playing idiots. It was the first truly console-focused FPS game. It was designed that way to cater to the console's lack of strength to have lots of enemies, and crap controller UI, and such.