Extreme weather in your area

Verbatim

Jun 8, 2011
London wet snow, good reason to finish work at 13.00, Al Gore where is the global warming you promised me, London is cold and icky :(

Mikoi

Sep 29, 2010
lechat said:
i assume you are not in australia then cause at 45c that seems pretty low for a car

my car was reading 77c the other day and the dash was literally melting, no aircon in the sucker either but since i didn't really need to go where i was going i was like
The car was reading it was 51*C outside while I was on the highway home from Sydney -> Newcastle.
When I got into it, was around 60-65*C

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Ryotknife said:
Jazoni89 said:
Ryotknife said:
Esotera said:
I'm in SE England at the minute and we got about two inches of snow in two hours this morning, causing me to get the day off work . It's pretty chilly outside and inside, and the rest of the country seems to be worse off.

Anything below 0C in daytime would probably be extreme for the UK...I don't think I could bear -30. I've dealt with -20 before in Austria but that was horrible.
DAFUQ?

dang, we need to get a foot or so before we can think about getting the day off. a few inches is a normal day.

as for extreme weather:

Potsdam, NY. During the winter we get 2-3 weeks of -50F (-45C) or below with windchill. It is so cold you will get frostbite within ten minutes, and you can snap off chunks of lightly damp hair and use it as a knife.

pulaski, NY. A raging blizzard centered around the town, go 30 minutes in any direction and you will find clear blue skies and roads.

State of Alabama. Tornadoes. Scary as hell as they come out of nowhere. By the time you see it, it may very well be too late.
You obviously don't know British weather.

We only have snow once, or twice a year, most of the time it's either cloudy, or rain. We are never prepared for snow at all, and in most parts of the country they don't bother gritting the paths or roads because it's such a rare occurrence that it wouldn't be worth the money, so when we see snowflakes we shit our pants pretty much, as everything goes to shit really for at least two, or three days.

Airports shut, schools shut, you name it...even if it's just a few inches. As a nation, Snow is our greatest weakness.
grumble grumble lucky bastards grumble grumble

you guys have warm water currents around your country correct?
We get weather currents coming from everywhere, so that why it can be sunny one time, and then five minutes later there can be rain.

To be honest, the UK is crap for weather, it so damn inconstant.

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
The coldest it's ever been in my hometown Oulu was about -43C. Luckily it was only for one day, but holy shit walking to school was torture.

That being said, the worst kind of weather here is when its about -20 and its really fucking windy. Add some snow thats really not snow, but more like shards of ice into the mix and goddamnit you'll wish you were somewhere else.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The worst weather I have ever been in is at last years Download Festival where it rained solidly for about 3 days. Apparently the weekend of the festival, we caught the tail end of a hurricane which brought strong winds and driving rain which ruined my tent and gazebo that we'd brought for some shelter. It lead to mud beings about ankle deep and almost cancelled the first day of bands due to there being too much mud to be safe. That was a fun weekend.

Currently Britain is the grip of some terrible snowy conditions, but Lincolnshire hasn't had too much of it. Apparently we're getting the worst of it today.

Liham

Apr 17, 2009
Aus again, the other day at midnight it was still up at 37c at midnight and the south eastern bit has been on fire for some time.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Wales is... a bit white at the moment. Not sure how long it'll last, but some of the snow's melted and frozen so I basically can't leave my flat without risk of injury right now D:

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
I'm in the South East of England, and on Thursday it was kind of cold, (-2C to 3C) but a clear day. On Friday it was probably a wee bit colder, but a quite heavy snow for most of the day. The public transport was a shambles, and their was traffic backed up for miles on the roads, but I had a grand time out in the snow.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
A few inches of snow these last couple of days in the North East UK. Nothing too unusual, until last night, when there was a massive fucking explosion that shocked the hell out of everyone. It turns out you can get lightning during snow storms. According to wikipedia, it's called "thundersnow", and is a "very rare" natural phenomenon.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Mikoi said:
lechat said:
i assume you are not in australia then cause at 45c that seems pretty low for a car

my car was reading 77c the other day and the dash was literally melting, no aircon in the sucker either but since i didn't really need to go where i was going i was like
The car was reading it was 51*C outside while I was on the highway home from Sydney -> Newcastle.
When I got into it, was around 60-65*C
This is one of the reasons I love being able to ride a motorcycle. The Australian roads and climates are perfect for it and a hot road means nice grip for your tires and you can accelerate and brake like a champ. Gotta make sure to drink a lot of water though because even with the 110km/h winds flowing through your jacket, your helmet can still become quite steamy if it's too tight.

Of course, I have a car for rainy days and days I don't feel like riding but I park that in a garage at home and under shades at work and the air con works like a charm so luckily I don't have to worry about driving a mobile oven. My old car wasn't like that though, so I know your pain.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Switzerland here, the coldest day we had this winter was -25°c sofar and our hottest days in summer usually are around ~ 35°c
That's still a 60°c difference :)

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I'm Australian, What do you think.
Right now half the country's burning and the other half may as wall be.
It's so hot I poured McDonalds coffee in my lap just to cool down.
Then I lit on fire.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Well, I hail from Iceland. When it comes to temperatures, our weather is fairly mild. Winter in the capital averages around 0°C (32°F), while during the summer it averages around 10?13°C (50?55°F). Right now it's 5°C (41°F) and it normally doesn't jump more than 10 decrees C from the average.

It can get windy around here although nothing like hurricane levels of wind. The worst stuff we get tends to reach tropical storm levels. However, absolute calm air is a rarity and when it rains, the norm is that it's coming at you from the side. No one bothers to wear an umbrella around here.

While not exactly weather related the biggest extreme stuff we get around here is the number of daylight hours. During the high winter we get around 5-6 hours of daylight but almost 24 hours during the summer.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Well it is floppin up and down rather oddly here at the Fin-Swe border but nothing remotely interesting, goes from 0 to -25°C every other day

Caint remember having any really cold winters in recent years

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
"And the rest of the world trembled at the prospect of braving the weather 'patterns' of the Midwest region of the United States."

Seriously, here in Missouri the weather does not give a fuck. The summer is the weirdest.
One day it's humid as hell (seriously, like flames erupting from the ground) and the next night hail will be striking your house. Then it'll rain for three days straight, and back to blistering heat. I'm not even exaggerating. [sub]Well maybe the part about the ground flames.[/sub]

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
My city tends to flood at the end of winter and end of summer.

Snow melts too quickly(Rather it builds up on the sides of the roads, and that build up melts) at the end of Winter. The end of Summer we tend to get a lot of rain storms.

5 years ago we had a flood that wiped out most local businesses as they were under a foot of water throughout Main Street. Luckily I live in the high part of town.

And several months ago we had a wind storm that left most of Ohio without power for a week.

Other than that we have rather mild weather. We get enough rain to cross a few roads and hold up traffic, but the flood like 5 years ago is a rarity.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
We get Blizzards form time to time. I mean I live next to an alpine lake so we have the altitude the cold and the winds to justify that.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Around Christmas we got a shitload of snow (about 30-40cm), last week nearly all of it melted (it got warm enough that some people got out in shorts and t-shirts) and today we got maybe 10 cm. That's a bit weird.

But the most extreme weather I've seen was the freezing rain we got in '98:

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
My area (Kiev, Ukraine) is retarded. It goes from -25C in the winter to +35C in the summer, every fucking time. Right now it's actually unusually warm for January: the temperature is dancing sround the 0C mark. Which is annoying, because all that snow thaws in the day, then gets frozen right the hell back in the night, which is why it's so slippery all the time. It's not walking anymore, it's ice-skating.