Eye-rolling-ly Stupid Deaths in Games

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
In skyrim a dragon had 1 hit point left. Seriously, one tap and he'd be dead. Well I though, regardless if he was an ancient dragon, surely he could die by one sword swing, right? I sprinted out and charged straight first and did the swing charge, only to have that cancelled entirely and have the instakilled animation happen despite him having PRACTICALLY NO HEALTH

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Ranorak said:
I had some many stupid deaths..
But a resent one is real case of D'oh!

I was hunting Vista's in Guild Wars 2, for people who don't know what Vista's are, they are a little cinematic camera swoop around the environment as a reward for solving a (sometimes rather complex) jumping puzzle.
Needless to say these vista's are on rather high locations. On a top of a mountain, edge of a cliff, etc.

After spending nearly an hour on trying to get to one, refusing to give up and look on youtube, I finally got it. I was on the same platform, just needed to take one more step.
Until I accidental hit the Walk-Forward button twice.
This makes your character do a little forward dodge roll. Right off of the cliff.

Smack, dead.
I've done that so many times it's embarrassing. Now if its a hard jumping puzzle I turn dodge roll off.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
scorptatious said:
MGS2, walking along a pipe, slipped on a pile of bird poo and fell into the ocean. -_-
FISSION MAILED!!!!!!!!!!
Or getting cheaply burned to death by the Fury and you have no med supplies because you used them all to get to that point.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Lilani said:
Gotta say it: Aeris in FFVII. Come on, use a freaking phoenix down. You should have like 10 of them in your inventory, and you've probably used more than one on her by that point. It shouldn't have been a big deal.

Also, I was pretty mad about Wrex's death in ME1, but not for the fact that it happened. I appreciate that it was an option, but I do not appreciate that if you started a game in ME2 without uploading info from a previous ME1 save, it would start with him dead by default. That seems like the stupidest thing to me--punishing people for not having played ME1 or for some reason not being able to load the previous save by making them lose a character for the rest of the series. If they had to make the decision for the player (because it seems to me it shouldn't be hard to just let the player choose what had happened via some sort of questionnaire), they should have gone with the option that gave them more content, not less.
Mass Effect does a good job of punishing people for not playing the previous games, it's even worse in ME3. It's impossible to resolve the Quarian Geth war peacefully without playing ME2 first.

Ironic considering they wanted ME3 to be the most accessible game in the series, all the while shouting fuck you at the people who didn't start playing at the beginning.

As for stupid deaths, Dante Garza's death in Killzone 2. For fucks sake Rico, we could have killed Radec, saved Garza and Natko. That would have also saved Templar and the scientist from being executed. But no, you have to go in guns blazing, get a man killed and then your best friend as an extra insult. And you keep getting pushed as a good guy in these games. You're worse than the Helghast, Rico.
I wish I could play as the Helghast and kill him.

Mr Mystery Guest

Aug 1, 2012
Red Dead Redemption. I hogtied a woman and put her on the train track. I fell asleep waiting for the train and it ran me over too.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
While playing Halo 3, I threw a grenade under an idle mongoose(quadbike) because why not? The grenade blew up the mongoose and a large chunk of it collided with me and instantly knocked me dead

I couldn't help but completely laugh my ass off

Gormech

May 10, 2012
I think I can speak for everyone who has played Monster Hunter when I say the following:

Bullfango spam rushing in the middle of a fight with the big monster.
Vespoid paralysis just before you would have attacked/dodged.
Cats stealing your cool/hot drinks when you REALLY NEED THEM.
Iodrome just wondering in the middle of a fight.
The crabs.
Cat bombing you and leaving you to get up just before you get rammed/fireballed.

And frankly, anything done by a congalala or any of its variants.

DreadedTuesday

Apr 15, 2009
I see a lot of people taking about falling deaths in Wow. As a Paladin, I used to get bored waiting for lifts, and just suicide jump off ledges and 'bubble' before impact.

Worst Borderlands Death: Having just defeated the Warrior for the first time, I was distracted by my son as I walked towards the exit... only to fall through a tiny crack in the floor into lava and die instantly.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
My former suitemate was the best source of those. His logic was so broken, he took shots at the moon in Splinter Cell, hoping to put out the moonlight.

He once died playing Halo 2, by running up to an exploding crate and attacking it with a beam sword.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Death by falling down the stairs, or walking off a cliff way too many times in the original King's Quest. It's hard to complain about things like invisible walls and shallow gameplay, when the biggest challenges in some games used to be not accidentally walking off a ledge. I'd be going through an area and then go, "Oh shoot! There's a spiral staircase ahead. I'd better quicksave."

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
voltair27 said:
Cortana in Halo 4.

Don't deny it.
And it didn't occur to you at all to put a spoiler tag here?

OT: I was once walking through Ravenholm in HL2, when I stepped across a sawblade lying on the ground. And died. By stepping on the flat edge of an inanimate object. Oh Havok, you so silly.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Death by perfectionism. I'm sure a bunch of you are familiar with that moment when you do that certain something you were trying to finish the game without doing, and you decide to let your character die so you can restart at the last checkpoint.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Jason in Heavy Rain

Look at this video, specifically 2 minutes in

How exactly did he die? Release some footage cut out from the game explaining THIS, Cage! >.>

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
The most dangerous enemies in God Of War are the cliffs. I wonder how many times I fell of those things? Must be well in the 30s. And it hurts my pride every time.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
uh...pretty much any time I walked into a new area in Dark Souls there'd be at least one of these.

Getting eaten by a mimic chest, when the Asylum Demon proved it had wings and flapped its way up to pulp my character, when I fell through the floor and immediately died to a Stray Demon, etc. etc.

my housemates enjoy the mess and periodic shrieks of despair at least...

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
Eddy-16 said:
Long story short I was killed by a mud crab.

I was killed by a mud crab.

A mud crab.

mud crab.

MUD CRAB
You win. /Thread.
Sad thing is the same thing nearly happened in Morrowind because I couldn't hit the bastarding thing, except I had full health when I started fighting and there was only one. I managed to get away from that one though.

Fucking Mud Crabs, bane of my existance in Tamriel

sageoftruth said:
So, apparently, "You've seen mudcrabs fight better than you."
I'll just hand in my gamer card on the way out.